unusual flying jobs

Old January 2nd 04, 07:59 PM
Dave Jacobowitz

Default unusual flying jobs

I've been thinking a lot about taking a break from my
current career to do some flying. I have no interest
in being an airline pilot, and I know that flying is
not otherwise lucrative (or even in the airline case
for many pilots.)

I'm relatively unencumbered (no wife, kids, or mortgage),
have some savings, and am willing to accept modest remuneration
for my time -- room and board at a minimum.

I'm currently a PP-ASEL working on my IA. I'm planning
on getting multi-engine and commercial.

I have this kernel of a romantic dream of flying
around Africa for a couple of years for some relief
agency or something.

How does one go about finding this kind of work? What
do I need to do first? JAA/JAR? How much time? Where
is this kind of work posted?

Ideas and opinions are welcome.

-- dave j
Old January 2nd 04, 08:03 PM
BTIZ

Dave... if you are looking at additional ratings.. get your Commercial
Glider.. and sign on with some of the US companies to give rides.. they can
be found in all parts of the country.. (US).. they are always looking for
cheap help..

BT

om...

Old January 3rd 04, 02:29 AM
Robert M. Gary

Its interesting that you have to have an A&P ticket to fly with these guys.

Room and board will probably be the maximum if you want to fly in Africa
or South America. Checkout http://www.jaars.org/aviation.shtml
If I was "unencumbered" I would fly for JAARS you will never forget the
experience and you will see parts of the world that most never will.

BTW, driving a cab pays better than most flying jobs.

R. Hubbell

Old January 3rd 04, 03:13 AM
Ditch

BTW, driving a cab pays better than most flying jobs.

So does being a golf caddie...but flying is a lot more interesting to do as a
living.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old January 3rd 04, 03:14 AM
Ditch

I have this kernel of a romantic dream of flying
around Africa for a couple of years for some relief
agency or something.

Check out www.airserv.org
They even pay as opposed to jaars, which is volunteer.

Old January 3rd 04, 05:42 AM
C J Campbell

Well, if you want unusual flying jobs, it would be tough to beat the one
that Bill Raisner had. He used his ultralights to film scientific
expeditions for National Geographic and the Discovery Channel. He won
several awards and left a priceless legacy of film. Unfortunately, he and
his camera man were killed in an accident in the Galapagos in 1999. His
company, Leading Edge Airfoils, continues to build ultralights.

Old January 3rd 04, 05:57 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Its interesting that you have to have an A&P ticket to fly with these guys.

I've seen a lot of bush operators requireing this. Let's face it, when you're
operating in the back country, it is not always possible to get an A&P to look
at your descrepancy. If the pilot is a trained mechanic, he can persumably make
a safe determination to the extent of the mechanical defficiency, and weather or
not it's safe to fly with, or make field repairs. Or radio for parts and tools
he or she needs to fix it.

Heck, it's not even limited to bush flying. When I was towing banners we all
spent some time in the shop, learning basic maintinance on the aircraft. When I
went on longer runs that ended in an outstation, I'd have duct tape, a couple of
spare plugs, safety wire, and some basic hand tools. Just in case.

Am I an A&P mechanic? No. Can I change a spark plug? Yes.

--
Mike

Old January 3rd 04, 01:25 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike O'Malley" wrote in message
[...]

Let's see...the narrow end of the screw driver is used for, what again? :~)