Seminole crash - 3 CFIs

Old January 4th 04, 09:14 PM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
news:b_EJb.49247$I07.150198@attbi_s53...
I have flown a Seminole over the Cascades with three adult passengers, and
it was a dog. Tops were at 12000 and I was in and out, unable to climb

much
higher. I am not proud of my decision to go that day.

Still, I fail to see what relevance to the accident in question that has.
All airplanes have a service ceiling, and the "trick" is to plan the flight
so as to not need to climb above that. Even IFR over the Cascades, there's
no need to go higher than 12000' absent bad weather conditions (icing,
convection, high winds, etc.). MEAs are significantly lower than that.

If there was something wrong with your decision to fly that day, it would
have had something to do with the weather, or the weights of your passenger
(if you flew overgross), or something along those lines. I don't see
anything inherently wrong with flying an airplane at or near maximum gross
weight, and certainly having all the seats full does not necessarily mean
the airplane was over the max gross weight, nor would it necessarily have
contributed anything to the accident in question.

If by "the Seminole is not a real four passenger airplane any more than a
Cessna 172 is", what you meant was "the Seminole can carry four passengers
just fine, depending on their weight", then I misunderstood, and you can
ignore all that I wrote.

Insofar as the HTML question is concerned, I'm not computer savvy enough

know what I am doing wrong. Why has this question just popped up, after

the
many, many times I have posted without changing any settings??

Not sure. I haven't been paying close attention, but perhaps your
newsreader is set to post in HTML, but does so only when you are posting a
message that is *not* a reply, using instead the previous post's formatting
(which is almost always plain text) when you are replying.

In other words, when you start a thread, it winds up HTML. When you reply
to a plain text message, it winds up plain text. Could that be the
difference?

Pete

Old January 5th 04, 02:32 PM
Joe Morris

"H. Adam Stevens" writes:

Been into grass strips and Sewanee TN. Mustang beach and Love field.
This is not speculation on the cause of the crash, but commentary on the
single-engine performance of the Seminole.

Many people (arguably not enough of them) consider the phrase "single-
engine performance" to be a self-contradictory expression when used
to refer to a light twin. (For the record, my multi checkride back
in 1973 was in a Seneca I on a very hot August day. The examiner
gave me the usual engine failure shortly after takeoff and asked for
an immediate turn into the good engine over a nearby ridge; I told him
where to stuff the request, and passed...)

Joe Morris
Old January 5th 04, 02:55 PM
H. Adam Stevens

"Joe Morris" wrote in message
"H. Adam Stevens" writes:

Been into grass strips and Sewanee TN. Mustang beach and Love field.
This is not speculation on the cause of the crash, but commentary on the
single-engine performance of the Seminole.

Many people (arguably not enough of them) consider the phrase "single-
engine performance" to be a self-contradictory expression when used
to refer to a light twin. (For the record, my multi checkride back
in 1973 was in a Seneca I on a very hot August day. The examiner
gave me the usual engine failure shortly after takeoff and asked for
an immediate turn into the good engine over a nearby ridge; I told him
where to stuff the request, and passed...)

Joe Morris

You I'll fly with. ;^)
H.

My P Baron had a page in the POH for density altitude and loading such that
it could fly away after losing an engine before the gear came up. Suffive to
say this condition was often less than gross weight.

Old January 6th 04, 02:05 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , C J Campbell wrote:
OTOH, what kind of benighted troglodyte still uses a newsreader that cannot
properly interpret HTML?

Me.

I switch HTML *off* for reading mail and newsgroups. It's just a
security hole waiting to happen (web-bugs et al.)
Most real (ham) email is written in plaintext. Most spam is written in
HTML.

HTML adds nothing worthwhile to usenet, and seldom adds anything
worthwhile to email.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old January 6th 04, 10:44 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"C J Campbell" writes:

OTOH, what kind of benighted troglodyte still uses a newsreader that cannot
properly interpret HTML?

Me. Much safer, and better looking, and easier to read, and faster,
and better facilities for all the important stuff (like deciding which
messages to read).
RKBA: http://noguns-nomoney.com http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Photos: dd-b.lighthunters.net Snapshots: www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/