ASW-19 Moment Arms

Old January 30th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW-19 Moment Arms

I would like to be able to calculate the actual CG position for my
ASW-19B, in addition to using Schleicher's cockpit load CG check. I
found some data in the AS Airworthiness Test Report and more in the FAA
Type Certificate Data Sheet, but 3 items are still unknown. Schleicher
does not give any moment arm data in the Flight Manual, nor did they
respond when I wrote to them.

These is the moment arm data as I know it:

1. Main wheel to tail wheel = +4115 mm (162 inches; a/w test)
2. Datum point to main wheel = +139 mm (5.5 inches; a/w test)
3. Datum point to lead ballast bolt = ?
4. Datum point to instrument panel face = ?
5. Datum point to pilot's seat = -559 mm (-22 inches; type cert)
6. Datum point to baggage area = +152 mm (+6 inches; type cert)
7. Datum point to water bag CG = ?

Can any RAS reader help me with the 3 unknown data points? Thanks in
advance!

-John

P.S. - I know I can measure the 3 moment arms (or I could calculate
them using a loading and weighting procedure). I'm just hoping someone
can save me some work...

Old January 30th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Odd that they wouldn't respond.

I have owned 2 ASW20's and have a ASW27. Our club has 2 ASK21's---All have
the datapoints you request, but they are in the Maintenance manual.

Since the pilot reclines, and people are built differently, the pilot moment
is a variable that can only be a rough approximation unless it is measured.
Once known for a specific pilot, that pilot can move fore and aft and the
change can be calculated.

--
Hartley Falbaum

ASW27B"KF" USA

oups.com...

Old January 30th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks, Hartley. Your point about the pilot is a good one, and I'll be
sure to do the weighing with me inside to get an accurate figure.

Of course, I can't say why Schleicher didn't respond to my message. It
was e-mailed to the General address (info at alexander-schleicher.de)
on their Contact web page the beginning of last week. However, this is
the third e-mail I've sent over the last 4 months that they haven't
responded to! Maybe I need to change my after-shave lotion! grin

But it's nice to know that the data is probably available.
Unfortunately, I don't have a maintenance manual for the ASW-19. If any
RAS reader does, could they please check it to see if it lists the
information I'm missing, and pass it on? Thanks!

-John

Old January 30th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jcarlyle wrote:
Thanks, Hartley. Your point about the pilot is a good one, and I'll be
sure to do the weighing with me inside to get an accurate figure.

Of course, I can't say why Schleicher didn't respond to my message. It
was e-mailed to the General address (info at alexander-schleicher.de)
on their Contact web page the beginning of last week. However, this is
the third e-mail I've sent over the last 4 months that they haven't
responded to! Maybe I need to change my after-shave lotion! grin

But it's nice to know that the data is probably available.
Unfortunately, I don't have a maintenance manual for the ASW-19. If any
RAS reader does, could they please check it to see if it lists the
information I'm missing, and pass it on? Thanks!

-John

I would contact your local dealer and obtain a maint. manual or the
information. Another option is to call AS directly.

Chip F.

Old January 30th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks, Chip, I called Eastern Sailplane. They don't have the
maintenance manual in stock, and Linda wasn't sure that one was even
available for the ASW-19B. Even if it is, it'll be 2-3 weeks before I
get my hands on it.

So, I'd still like to ask the RAS readership if anyone can provide me
with the information.

-John

Old January 30th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John,

Look up John Rizzo on the SSA site. He is a member of Finger Lakes
soaring and has my old 19B, 438AS. I think there was a maintenance
manual with the bird.

I'll check with my club as we have a 19 along with one of our members.

Chip F.

Old January 30th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John,

look up Jim Rizzo of Finger Lakes Soaring on the SSA membership list.
He has my old 19B and there might be a maint manual (3 years ago
so.........) My club has a 19 as do one of my members. I'll check on
it.

Chip

Old January 30th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

May I strongly recommend that you get the Maintenance manual. Talk to John
Murray. It will save you time, money, and frustration. It is well worth the
wait! Of course they are likely enroute to the Convention so you'll have to
wait till after they return.

--
Hartley Falbaum
ups.com...

Old January 30th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks, Chip, I appreciate you checking into it for me.

Jim doesn't list an e-mail, but there is a telephone number. I'll give
him a call this evening, and I'll let you know how I make out.

-John

Old January 30th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hartley, I called for John Murray at Eastern Sailplane - see my message
above. John was out trying to pry his new ASG-29 out of the Port of
Baltimore so that he and Linda could drive it to the SSA Convention.

Linda told me she wasn't sure that there was a Maintenance Manual for
the ASW-19, but it sounds like you and Chip feel there is. I sent an
e-mail to John asking him to order the manual if he can, but as you say
it'll have to wait until after the convention.

Thanks!

-John

Flap Hinge Moment Calc Bo Home Built 2 February 2nd 05 10:26 AM
Flap Hinge Moment Calc Bo Home Built 0 February 2nd 05 06:01 AM
[!] Russian Arms software sale Naval Aviation 0 December 18th 04 05:51 PM
Moment of silence AZSKYBUM Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 04:57 AM
Israel pays the price for buying only Boeing (and not Airbus) Tarver Engineering Military Aviation 57 July 8th 03 12:23 AM