Osh flight line radios...

Old August 3rd 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
pho

Default Osh flight line radios...

I picked up one of these cool radios, but it didn't work well in Camp
Scholler.It worked ok on the flight line though. Does anyone know what
frequency these things work on?
I expect it must be UHF. I haven't heard anything on mine since I got
home. Pete
Old August 4th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"pho" wrote in message
I picked up one of these cool radios, but it didn't work well in Camp
Scholler.It worked ok on the flight line though. Does anyone know what
frequency these things work on?
I expect it must be UHF. I haven't heard anything on mine since I got
home. Pete

Give us a brand and model number, so we can have a clue.

Most likely, you got a relatively cheap scanner, that picks up either
aviation only, or aviation and other close by frequencies, like nascar in
car radios. It probably does not have the sensitivity or the weak signal
amplification ability that a real aviation transceiver would have.

Unless you have it tuned to one of the thousand air frequencies that is in
use near your house, or their is a nascar race a mile from your house, it is
going to be an expensive paperweight.

Any more suggestions of what you have would be a monumental guess.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 4th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
"pho" wrote in message
I picked up one of these cool radios, but it didn't work well in Camp
Scholler.It worked ok on the flight line though. Does anyone know what
frequency these things work on?

Give us a brand and model number, so we can have a clue.

Most likely, you got a relatively cheap scanner, that picks up either

Actually, I think he may be talking about those cheap-ass radios ($5?)
they sold so you could listen to the "EAA Radio" or whatever it was
called.

Not too surprisingly, it was sold for that one and only purpose, and
that's the one and only thing it was good for.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Information moves, or we move to it. Moving to it has rarely been
Old August 4th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

I picked up one of those last year...and I asked the same question on
one of these newsgroups shortly after the show too.

I found out that they are FM radio scanners. The company that sells them
runs low power transmitters at the event rebroadcasting the tower, or
car at NASCAR events. You can replace the battery and use it at OSH next
year, as long as the company comes back. Other than that, you've got a
FM receiver to hang on your ear.

The key to finding out the information was to open it up and get the
specs on the circuit in there, where I found it was the FM scanner.

Old August 5th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
pho

Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address) wrote:
I picked up one of those last year...and I asked the same question on
one of these newsgroups shortly after the show too.

I found out that they are FM radio scanners. The company that sells them
runs low power transmitters at the event rebroadcasting the tower, or
car at NASCAR events. You can replace the battery and use it at OSH next
year, as long as the company comes back. Other than that, you've got a
FM receiver to hang on your ear.

The key to finding out the information was to open it up and get the
specs on the circuit in there, where I found it was the FM scanner.

Yeah, that much I figured. I was just wondering what range of
frequencies they use.It's outside of the regular FM band, and I suspect
its up around 800-900 or so since it must be a part 15 device. It could
also be around 433. I'm not sure where these things are licensed... Pete