Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Old July 16th 18, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Brian,

Interesting stuff, especially about the color display and faster processor. I've noticed the Kobo is slower even than the Dell Streak 5 in some ways and I suspect that some of the uneven FLARM target performance I see is related to CPU and/or the ability to write to the display quickly enough. Sometimes a target will have the lift strength tagged, sometimes the competition ID, occasionally both, and sometimes just the target itself. It seems like switching off terrain and other features gives me better FLARM target depiction but it's difficult to be certain. This doesn't seem to be related to range, so I'm inclined to blame bandwidth (my PowerFLARM and Kobo are at 19,200--which I've tried to increase unsuccessfully) or video processing power.
Old July 16th 18, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Using XCSoar you can switch between displays by swiping left to right or
right to left.Â* Don't know if Top Hat retained that functionality.

Regarding Android devices for running these programs, I have found that
the Android operating system is clogged with a lot of bloatware that is
not needed for a device which is dedicated to soaring.Â* Do some research
and learn how to root the device and then flash a slimmed down operating
system.Â* My Nexus 7 2012 went from totally unusable (with XCSoar being
the only downloaded program) to blindingly fast when I flashed SlimKat
4.4 on it.Â* Now I can even run other aviation related apps and it's
still much faster than it ever was out of the box.

On 7/16/2018 3:13 PM, wrote:
Brian,

Interesting stuff, especially about the color display and faster processor. I've noticed the Kobo is slower even than the Dell Streak 5 in some ways and I suspect that some of the uneven FLARM target performance I see is related to CPU and/or the ability to write to the display quickly enough. Sometimes a target will have the lift strength tagged, sometimes the competition ID, occasionally both, and sometimes just the target itself. It seems like switching off terrain and other features gives me better FLARM target depiction but it's difficult to be certain. This doesn't seem to be related to range, so I'm inclined to blame bandwidth (my PowerFLARM and Kobo are at 19,200--which I've tried to increase unsuccessfully) or video processing power.

Regarding your last comment, I was able to achieve autoswitching from Cruise to Climb and back again with zoom levels retained for each, as you described. What I couldn't get is a way to quickly switch to the other screen/zoom level with one press of a button. On my system (v2.2.2b on a Kobo), the Switch button disappears when one of the pages is set to Auto but another poster said that wasn't the case with his system. TH is ported to different platforms in different versions so I'm wondering if that's a factor here.

Chip Bearden

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 16th 18, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 3:27:03 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Using XCSoar you can switch between displays by swiping left to right or

right to left.Â* Don't know if Top Hat retained that functionality.

Software button with Top Hat. Very handy and not as clumsy (to me) as the swipe.

Mike
Old July 17th 18, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Software button with Top Hat. Very handy and not as clumsy (to me) as the swipe.

Mike

I agree - it is much more intuitive to swipe to Pan and to press the button to change info box screens. When I used XCSOAR I use to change screens by accident once in a while.

Top Hat is really well thought out and a good improvement to a great piece of software.

WH
Old July 23rd 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 4:25:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I like Top Hat a lot. But as with an attractive woman who seems to fulfill all your wishes, things aren't quite perfect. And like most men, I just want to make one tiny change. It's driving me crazy.

I need two screens:

Circling screen: automatically displayed when I started to circle. Zoomed into a one-thermal view (e.g., 0.6 miles). Displays certain infoboxes (right now, nearly the same ones as the Cruise screen but can be customized).

Cruise screen: automatically displayed when I roll out and fly straight. Zoomed out to whatever level I had set before I circled, from typically from 5 to 30 miles, so I can see waypoints, landing fields, terrain, etc. Displays certain infoboxes (nearly the same ones as the Circling screen but can be customized).

AND...in addition to the automatic switching, whenever I'm circling (looking at the thermal view) and want to take a quick peek at the cruise screen, I can press the "Switch Screens" button on the screen (that I've enabled), and instantly zoom out to see what landing fields I can reach from my miserably low altitude. Then I can instantly switch back to the circling view with another press of the Screen button.

What I can do now:
1. manually switch between the two screens whenever I circle or cruise, with the appropriate zoom levels applying; this works fine but since the autosensing feature knows when I'm circling or flying straight, it would be easier to let the software switch screens;
OR
2. automatically zooms in to 0.6 miles whenever I stop to circle. This works great but requires me to press the "zoom out" button multiple times to see the "cruise" view when I'm circling, then another set of multiple presses to zoom back in to the thermal view;
OR
3. let the software autoswitch between climb and cruise screens but retains the same zoom level for both (I'm not even sure I have this because until recently I had the same infoboxes for circling as for cruising so I may have been looking at the same screen the entire time with different zoom levels; i.e., same as alternative 2, above).

I've tried multiple combinations of autozoom, distinct zoom, single screen/multiple screens, same set of infoboxes vs. multiple sets of infoboxes, setting one or both of the multiple screens as "auto", and probably some I can't recall. Some I've tried in flight, but many others I've tried using the "replay" function. Autozooming works fine there but not some of the other options.

Is anyone doing this now? All the parts are there. I just can't get them set up the way I want.

I believe Top Hat differs from XCSoar in the way users can switch screens (especially with gestures), so my difficulty may be there.

Chip Bearden

I have been running TH on a Kobo; it recently started changing screens
unasked , ; not just between cruise and climb; a waypoint list appeared!
Now it refuses to connect to the PC at all; tried two USB cables and two PC s.

John F
Old August 13th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just to close the loop: For the Midlothian Std. Nats, I configured a cruise page and a climb page, each of which maintains whatever zoom level(s) I set. I just toggled between the two manually whenever I stopped to thermal and again just before I rolled out to cruise again, or whenever I needed to check the big picture (zoomed out) view in a thermal.

I like TopHat a lot. I wish there were a way of autoinvoking the circling page while preserving the ability to quickly switch back and forth to the cruise page but I never could find it.

Chip Bearden
Old October 28th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 11:48:16 AM UTC-7, Brian wrote:
Maybe a bit off Topic. I have been using Tophat for a few years now. I started running it on a Nook Simple Touch. I loved the black and white sunlight readable display, but after a couple years the Nook seem to be getting slow. So I tried a Nexus 7. I liked the color display (hint turning the Terrain display off helps a lot) but it is not near as sunlight readable as the Nook was, but was good enough 95% of the time or better. Only when the sun was behind me would I occasionally get a glare on it that made it unreadable until I turned or shaded it with something. After a year or two I upgraded to a Nexus 2 - 2013 which had a slightly better display and was faster.

The other thing I really like about the Nexus is it is a totally self contained unit, It has it's own GPS so you can literally just carry it to the airplane and go fly. I had K6 Bluetooth adapter attached to my FLarm so with a bit of configuration it was receiving Flarm Data as well. I do sometimes connect external power to it, but the Nexus usually will last a 5 hour flight just fine.

Last year I put a S80 in my glider and added the Bluetooth module, It works pretty well but the bluetooth module is not quite as robust as the K6 module. The S80 bluetooths occasionally(almost Rarely) requirs a restart of the tablet or S80 to get it to link up, but once linked I never have any trouble during the flight.

A couple weeks ago flying the Region 8 contest about 9am I discovered my Nexus 7 touch screen had died, it would not respond to any touch commands. at 10:30 after the pilots meeting I went to the local Walmart and purchased a Samsung Tab 7 8gb for under $90. (they only had a display model available, normally $120). By the 1pm launch I had updated the software on the Tablet, installed Tophat, the Waypoint, airspace, and terrain files and had configured it to communicate with my S80 and had a working flight computer for the day. In summery I went from no flight computer other than the (S80 that I use for a backup) to my normal working flight computer in under about 2 hours and under a $100 investment. Try that when your dedicated flight computer dies, it may cost you more than that in just shipping and won't be a same day fix.

I am actually very pleased with the Samsung, The display is as good or even slightly better than the Nexus and it is faster. I wish it had a bit more memory than 8GB but does have a place for a MicroSD card if I need more space. I ran it with power connected, so not sure how the battery life is with it standalone, but It seems like it would be as good as the Nexus.

I think Tophat works very well, I only wish it did a bit better job a providing tactical Flarm traffic information. I don't use it for traffic avoidance but it would be nice if it kept track of Flarm traffic a bit better. Something like LK8000 or some other displays (Avionic) that show where traffic was or might be even though the signal is gone. With the right display it could even show Statistical climb information about the other gliders thermal and even mark a likely location to intercept the same thermal even after other glider has left the thermal. That way I don't have to be looking at the display as much or take near as long to trying and calculate information that computers are very good at doing.

To the original question, with nothing other than the minimum required changes Tophat, on the Nexus and Samsung, automatically switches between Thermalling and Cruise mode with and retains the zoom level for each screen, usually zoomed in for thermalling and zoomed out for cruise for me. I have never had issues with this no not sure why others seem to be having issues.

Brian

I recently bought a Galaxy Tab 7 tablet and tried Bluetooth connection with the k6bt2 but was not able to connect.
I contacted the k6 folks and I was advised that the k6bt2 is needing "profile SPP" which my Tab does not support and it will not work. So... what am I missing here? Wrong Tab??
Old October 29th 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Burghall[_2_]

At 21:15 28 October 2018, 6PK wrote:
[...]

=20

=
[...]

When I was unable to connect my Galaxy A5 phone via bluetooth, I installed
"BToolkit" and used it to make my phone visible (the Settings option said
it already was; it wasn't) after which I was able to connect. Your problem
could well be different - then again it might not. Good luck.

XCSoar Question Dan Marotta Soaring 9 June 16th 16 02:58 PM
CAI-302 and XCSoar Dan Marotta Soaring 7 March 29th 12 09:55 PM
XCsoar 6.2.6 Question Karl Kunz Soaring 8 March 16th 12 05:12 PM
xcsoar [email protected] Soaring 40 August 13th 09 09:01 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 01:05 AM