Boeing wins MMA comp

Old June 18th 04, 06:27 AM
Neil Gerace

Default Boeing wins MMA comp

It was reported in today's paper that Boeing has been awarded a contract to
develop the USN's Orion replacement. LockMart, the other bidder, lost with
its Orion 21.

The new aircraft, like the RAAF Wedgetail AEW&C platform, will be based on
the Boeing 737-700IGW (or BBJ) airframe.

Old June 19th 04, 12:31 AM
ian maclure

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:27:09 +0800, Neil Gerace wrote:

It was reported in today's paper that Boeing has been awarded a contract to
develop the USN's Orion replacement. LockMart, the other bidder, lost with
its Orion 21.

The new aircraft, like the RAAF Wedgetail AEW&C platform, will be based on
the Boeing 737-700IGW (or BBJ) airframe.

Call me old fashioned but were I loitering at low alt in mid-ocean
I'd want more than two engines available.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old June 19th 04, 01:11 AM
Air Force Jayhawk

The reliability of todays' engines means the penalty of carrying 4
engines is no longer considered necessary.

AFJ

Old June 19th 04, 10:25 AM
Neil Gerace

"ian maclure" wrote in message
news
Call me old fashioned but were I loitering at low alt in mid-ocean
I'd want more than two engines available.

If this were an airliner I'd agree.

Old June 20th 04, 06:05 AM
Ian MacLure

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"ian maclure" wrote in message
news
Call me old fashioned but were I loitering at low alt in mid-ocean
I'd want more than two engines available.

If this were an airliner I'd agree.

So, you believe that low and slow, crankin' and bankin'
is a more benign environment than cruise at altitude?
Not to mention the multiples of normal engine cycles
the MMA wil get in compressed time frames?

Old June 20th 04, 12:09 PM
Neil Gerace

"Ian MacLure" wrote in message
"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"ian maclure" wrote in message
news
Call me old fashioned but were I loitering at low alt in mid-ocean
I'd want more than two engines available.

If this were an airliner I'd agree.

So, you believe that low and slow, crankin' and bankin'
is a more benign environment than cruise at altitude?
Not to mention the multiples of normal engine cycles
the MMA wil get in compressed time frames?

That's why they're using the BBJ airframe and not the regular -700 one, I'm
guessing. The BBJ has the fuselage of the -700 but the wings and gear of the
larger -800. Similar to the mods Boeing did to the 747-100 to make the -SR,
for short, frequent cycles.

Old June 21st 04, 05:06 AM
Mike Zaharis

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message news:40d57002$0$28948

That's why they're using the BBJ airframe and not the regular -700 one, I'm
guessing. The BBJ has the fuselage of the -700 but the wings and gear of the
larger -800. Similar to the mods Boeing did to the 747-100 to make the -SR,
for short, frequent cycles.

They're not using any -700 airframe, BBJ or otherwise. They're using
an Increased Gross Weight version of an -800 airframe, according to
Boeing's website.

You are correct about the -700 based BBJ, with the -800 wings for the
increased weight limit.
Old June 21st 04, 06:02 AM
Neil Gerace

"Ian MacLure" wrote in message
"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

[snip]

That's why they're using the BBJ airframe and not the regular -700
one, I'm guessing. The BBJ has the fuselage of the -700 but the wings
and gear of the larger -800. Similar to the mods Boeing did to the
747-100 to make the -SR, for short, frequent cycles.

There is a world of difference between the stress spectrum
inherent in airline usage and the MPA environment.
Its not just the cycles.

The 747-SR also spent most of its life at low altitude and near-maximum
mass.

Old June 21st 04, 06:14 AM
Neil Gerace

"Mike Zaharis" wrote in message
om...

You are correct about the -700 based BBJ, with the -800 wings for the
increased weight limit.

Hm, well I read that in Australian Aviation, and they're usually pretty
clued up.

Old June 21st 04, 08:35 AM
Errol Cavit

"Ian MacLure" wrote in message
"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

[snip]

That's why they're using the BBJ airframe and not the regular -700
one, I'm guessing. The BBJ has the fuselage of the -700 but the wings
and gear of the larger -800. Similar to the mods Boeing did to the
747-100 to make the -SR, for short, frequent cycles.

There is a world of difference between the stress spectrum
inherent in airline usage and the MPA environment.
Its not just the cycles.
And still doesn't address the engine reliability issue.
I believe ( and I expect P3 crew community would agree
with me ) that the redundancy provided by 4 engines is a
very desirable if not mandatory feature in an MPA.

Does anyone know the comparative loss rates for the Atlantique vs P3?

--
Errol Cavit | | "If you have had enough, then I have
had enough. But if you haven't had enough, then I haven't had enough