status of Delta Hawk diesel

Old January 18th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

Default status of Delta Hawk diesel

Jim Logajan wrote:
jan olieslagers wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

If you want an engine that runs on diesel, you HAVE to take a look at this
video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yle0bNfmf0E

It's a turbine engine mounted on a CH-701. Kinda neat!

I suppose if ~90 HP isn't enough, you could always consider a twin design.
;-)

It said that 90 HP was turning a 68" prop!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Old January 18th 11, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On Jan 18, 12:30*am, CaveLamb wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
jan olieslagers wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

If you want an engine that runs on diesel, you HAVE to take a look at this
video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yle0bNfmf0E

It's a turbine engine mounted on a CH-701. Kinda neat!

I suppose if ~90 HP isn't enough, you could always consider a twin design.
;-)

It said that 90 HP was turning a 68" prop!

Youtube text description says 12gph fuel use!!!
Old January 18th 11, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On Jan 17, 9:19*pm, Tom De Moor
wrote:
In article ,
says...
Aero-diesels impose from the start a kind of supercharger, adding
complexity, weight and more things to go wrong.

Hmm, well a 2-stroke like the delta-hawk does.

On the other hand on the Deltahawk there are no -
magnetos, spark plugs, leads
valves, camshafts, followers, pushrods, rockers
cylinder head gaskets (head integral with cylinder)

Engine has *no* need for an electrical supply to run.

I have followed the development for a while and very much like
the concepts behind the deltahawk.

Some makes add also a PSRU, once again adding weight, extra maintenance
and cost.

Engine speed is such that no PSRU is required.

The
other problem is that fuel pumps and injector systems used on diesel engines
usually will not work using jet fuel, which is the fuel these engines are
normally going to be using.

Deltahawk designed from outset for Jet fuel.

Of course, the largest problem is having the money it takes to develop an
engine and get it to market. *Costs can be enormous.

DH are still there. They claim that "Experimental" engines
are available now with certification Real Soon

As I said, I like the options they have chosen for their
clean sheet design. There seems every prospect that they
will be safe, robust and economical if the fuel tax in any
particular jurisdiction does not rule that out.

Old January 18th 11, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

It said that 90 HP was turning a 68" prop!

Youtube text description says 12gph fuel use!!!

A 3 bladed 68 inch prop, burning that much fuel even at turbine inefficiency
sounds like a buttload more than 90 HP, to me!
--
Jim in NC

Old January 18th 11, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

Morgans wrote:

It said that 90 HP was turning a 68" prop!

Youtube text description says 12gph fuel use!!!

A 3 bladed 68 inch prop, burning that much fuel even at turbine
inefficiency sounds like a buttload more than 90 HP, to me!

Yup.

I suspect that's 90 HP at the shaft - BEFORE the gearbox.

BTW, there is quite a bit of information about this setup on the web.
Velly intelesting...

Old February 19th 15, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Monday, 3 January 2011 16:19:53 UTC, jan olieslagers wrote:
The Delta Hawk has been VERY slow to come to the market, yet I have a
vague memory of the first samples being very close to release.
Anyone know the details, or of any flying apart from factory test/demo
planes?
TIA,

I have been watching them over here avgas europe 2.5 euros a litre Jet A1 1 euro wish continentals ran on diesel with magneto's forget the efficiency of diesel its just cheaper by a country mile,dont worry by the time Deltahawk come out with a for sale product I will have developed a nuclear fusion reactor turbine drive that runs on water and weighs 50 kilos