Present from Bose!

Old December 19th 03, 03:29 AM
Doug Vetter

Default Present from Bose!

Hi all,

Back in August I placed an order for the retrofit battery box assembly
for my 2001 vintage Bose X. Problem is, the units haven't shipped yet,
apparently due to "manufacturing difficulties". Whatever. The latest
news is that they *may* ship in March (about 8 months late).

While I wasn't entirely pleased the delivery schedule had slipped more
than once, I honestly wasn't too concerned about it because my headset
has continued to function perfectly. Imagine my surprise, though, when
I came home today to find a Christmas present from Bose on my doorstep.

At first, as I picked it up while fumbling for my keys, I thought it was
the cable assembly, but a quick glance at the box told me this was
something actually worth about 50% more.

I won't spoil the surprise, but if you placed your order for the new
assembly some time ago, look for a nice gift from Bose to arrive soon.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old December 19th 03, 05:00 AM
Mike S.

I won't spoil the surprise, but if you placed your order for the new
assembly some time ago, look for a nice gift from Bose to arrive soon.

-Doug

Aw!!! Come on we wanna know... what's in the box!! What's in the
boxxxxxxxxxx?

--Mike

P.S. And yes... I did just watch Se7en.

Old December 19th 03, 06:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Doug Vetter wrote:

I won't spoil the surprise, but if you placed your order for the new
assembly some time ago, look for a nice gift from Bose to arrive soon.

Got mine yesterday.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 19th 03, 10:12 PM
Kyler Laird

Doug Vetter writes:

I won't spoil the surprise, but if you placed your order for the new
assembly some time ago, look for a nice gift from Bose to arrive soon.

Darn it! Why do you get gifts from Bose while we just get coal?

(We sent my wife's headset for an upgrade and they just managed
to turn it into crap.)

--kyler
Old December 20th 03, 04:12 AM
Doug Vetter

Mike S. wrote:
Aw!!! Come on we wanna know... what's in the box!! What's in the
boxxxxxxxxxx?

Hehe....weeellllllllll, now that everyone has suffered enough...I'll
reveal the surprise:

A brand-spanking new pair of Quiet Comfort Noise Cancelling Headphones,
including a nice carry bag and a pile of adapters so you can tie into
practically any audio source...including on the airlines. :-) The Bose
website says they're worth $200.

And, yes, I realize this is a convenient way for them to clear out
inventory to make way for the QC II AND get a nice tax writeoff at the
same time, so the real cost to them is far less than $200, but I still
think it's a very nice thing for them to do.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old December 20th 03, 05:12 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Doug Vetter writes:

I won't spoil the surprise, but if you placed your order for the new
assembly some time ago, look for a nice gift from Bose to arrive soon.

Darn it! Why do you get gifts from Bose while we just get coal?

(We sent my wife's headset for an upgrade and they just managed
to turn it into crap.)

Least they didn't turn it into coal.

Old December 20th 03, 10:21 PM
Kyler Laird

"Tom Sixkiller" writes:

I won't spoil the surprise, but if you placed your order for the new
assembly some time ago, look for a nice gift from Bose to arrive soon.

Darn it! Why do you get gifts from Bose while we just get coal?

(We sent my wife's headset for an upgrade and they just managed
to turn it into crap.)

Least they didn't turn it into coal.

Might as well have. At least we wouldn't have wasted money shipping
coal back to them two more times.

I've said a lot of nice things about Bose headsets to a lot of people,
so I feel really screwed by this.

I'm thinking I'll just loan them out to people who are considering
buying a Bose headset. That should kill some sales.

--kyler
Old December 21st 03, 02:55 AM
Doug Vetter

Kyler Laird wrote:
(We sent my wife's headset for an upgrade and they just managed
to turn it into crap.)

Mind being a little more specific? Are you saying the retrofit cables
are poorly designed or the upgrade actually damaged the headset (or both)?

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old December 21st 03, 03:12 PM
Kyler Laird

Doug Vetter writes:

Kyler Laird wrote:
(We sent my wife's headset for an upgrade and they just managed
to turn it into crap.)

Mind being a little more specific?

They sound horrible in flight. She had complained about them but I pretty
much wrote it off to her being hypercritical. I got it in my face though
when I took off cross-country on my own and left my Bose headset behind to
be sent for the same upgrade. On the climb I immediately knew that her
headset was *not* working well. I was annoyed - almost to the point of
aborting the flight. (I was also annoyed at not having heat in the middle
of winter, and losing lubrication on one turbo system, so I ended up
turning around in Kansas.)

Are you saying the retrofit cables
are poorly designed or the upgrade actually damaged the headset (or both)?

We didn't get the recent upgrade that includes cables. This is the older
upgrade that included the fuzzy headband patch (which replaced the nearly
identical one I had sewn on to her band) and some driver "enhancement."

We've called Bose a few times about this and sent the headset to them a
couple times. The last time my wife spoke with a tech. he was *very*
condescending to her. (She has a fair bit of audio technology training
from her undergrad, so she's no slouch.) She identified the frequency
range of the new noise. He said that he personally tested them and did
not find any problem.

So...anyone thinking about buying a set? You're welcome to test fly mine...

$1000 down the drain.

--kyler
Old December 21st 03, 04:04 PM
lance smith

Well for noise/ear protection crap works better than coal : )

-lance smith

Kyler Laird wrote in message ...
[snip]
Darn it! Why do you get gifts from Bose while we just get coal?

(We sent my wife's headset for an upgrade and they just managed
to turn it into crap.)

Least they didn't turn it into coal.

Might as well have. At least we wouldn't have wasted money shipping
coal back to them two more times.

[snip]

Bose makes good on my wife's headset. Kyler Laird General Aviation 3 March 10th 04 02:08 PM
My Bose headsets are shocking me! Peter R. Owning 5 February 17th 04 01:16 PM
Bose comes through for my Christmas too! (was "Present from Bose!") Kyler Laird General Aviation 12 December 24th 03 05:14 AM
Bose X smf Owning 5 July 28th 03 04:22 PM
Praise for Bose Mike Granby Piloting 4 July 25th 03 03:18 PM