Winch Launching in US

Old June 5th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john hawkins

Default Winch Launching in US

I have recently started gliding again after a long absense. I no longer have
funds to support my power plane habit and am soaring as less expensive means
of getting airborne. I am surprised to see that winch tows in the USA are
still almost non existant. Why not. Surely a winch is much cheaper than a
tow plane. I see that a new winch is manufactured in CA but My god the
price!

I would appreciate readers of the new group to educate me.

Old June 5th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 5, 8:22*am, "john hawkins" wrote:
I have recently started gliding again after a long absense. I no longer have
funds to support my power plane habit and am soaring as less expensive means
of getting airborne. I am surprised to see that winch tows in the USA are
still almost non existant. Why not. Surely a winch is much cheaper than a
tow plane. I see that a new winch is manufactured in CA but My god the
price!

I would appreciate readers of the new group to educate me.

Presuming you're the NC Hawkins, winching is being done in Florida and
South Carolina. There's some auto tow also done in South Carolina,
but privately. I've previously suggested to a member of NCSA at
Harnett County Regional that they consider winching (which I believe
the club did at another location in their past). There's space and it
can be done safely as at municipal/public airports in MN, TX, OK, CO,
NV, CA, NY, and soon in WA. There's also winching at clubs in LA, PA,
AZ, and auto tow in some other places.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 5th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

In Arizona, Prescott Soaring Society uses a winch exclusively, and
Tucson Soaring Club has been working on getting one operational for a
year or two now.

The El Paso Soaring Society also has a winch (fairly new I think) but
they don't yet use it as much as their tow plane.

So there seems to be a trend in the direction of more winch usage,
albeit very slow. I hope it speeds up.

2NO
Old June 5th 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Presuming you're the NC Hawkins, winching is being done in Florida and
South Carolina. There's some auto tow also done in South Carolina,
but privately. I've previously suggested to a member of NCSA at
Harnett County Regional that they consider winching (which I believe
the club did at another location in their past). There's space and it
can be done safely as at municipal/public airports in MN, TX, OK, CO,
NV, CA, NY, and soon in WA. There's also winching at clubs in LA, PA,
AZ, and auto tow in some other places.

Frank Whiteley

Hi Frank, where in Florida are the winch launches?

Thanks!
tom
Old June 5th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 5, 1:22*pm, vic20owner wrote:
Presuming you're the NC Hawkins, winching is being done in Florida and
South Carolina. *There's some auto tow also done in South Carolina,
but privately. *I've previously suggested to a member of NCSA at
Harnett County Regional that they consider winching (which I believe
the club did at another location in their past). *There's space and it
can be done safely as at municipal/public airports in MN, TX, OK, CO,
NV, CA, NY, and soon in WA. *There's also winching at clubs in LA, PA,
AZ, and auto tow in some other places.

Frank Whiteley

Hi Frank, where in Florida are the winch launches?

Thanks!
tom

oops, my bad, they were discussing it, but perhaps haven't initiated
operations yet.

Everglades Soaring Club was certainly looking into it.

Maybe Mike Schumann will update.

Frank
Old June 6th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 5, 2:49*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Mike reports that one of the northern operations may operate in
Florida next winter for a couple of months. Would be a good
opportunity to get some training and a sign-off and keep the rust off.

Frank
Old June 6th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret

I see that a new winch is manufactured in CA but My god the
price!

So how much does a the new winch you were looking at cost?

Looks like there are two groups discussing how make one:

What does a winch tow usually cost?
Old June 6th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret

On Jun 6, 11:33*am, Bret wrote:
I see that a new winch is manufactured in CA but My god the
price!

So how much does a the new winch you were looking at cost?

What does a winch tow usually cost?

Update: only groups.yahoo.com/group/winchdesign is for making your
own.

groups.yahoo.com/group/winchengineer/ is about modern commercial
winches.

the club did at another location in their past). There's space and it
can be done safely as at municipal/public airports in MN, TX, OK, CO,
NV, CA, NY, and soon in WA.

Logan UT Cache Valley Soaring is hoping to get their old winch
running.

Old June 9th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 5 June, 15:22, "john hawkins" wrote:
I have recently started gliding again after a long absense. I no longer have
funds to support my power plane habit and am soaring as less expensive means
of getting airborne. I am surprised to see that winch tows in the USA are
still almost non existant. Why not. Surely a winch is much cheaper than a
tow plane. I see that a new winch is manufactured in CA but My god the
price!

I would appreciate readers of the new group to educate me.

There is some interest
Old June 9th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 5 June, 15:22, "john hawkins" wrote:
I have recently started gliding again after a long absense. I no longer have
funds to support my power plane habit and am soaring as less expensive means
of getting airborne. I am surprised to see that winch tows in the USA are
still almost non existant. Why not. Surely a winch is much cheaper than a
tow plane. I see that a new winch is manufactured in CA but My god the
price!

I would appreciate readers of the new group to educate me.

There is some interest in winch launching in the US, but instead of
just importing or copying some well proven European designs, the
leading lights decided to build their own 'superwinches' which are
still under development with no guarantee that they will be any better
or safer! In fact so far the reverse seems to be true.

Winch Launching Rolf Soaring 27 January 7th 09 02:48 AM
Ka8b winch launching Jimmie L. Coulthard Soaring 11 September 9th 08 08:38 AM
Aerotow Fuel Costs & Winch Launching Derek Copeland[_2_] Soaring 2 May 26th 08 03:14 PM
Bungey Launching Chris Ellis Soaring 2 March 19th 07 01:48 AM
LIppmann reports a 950 meter winch launch with their Dynatec winch line - anything higher? Bill Daniels Soaring 20 December 27th 04 12:33 AM