A-7 Corsair Info needed

Old January 7th 05, 12:44 AM
Bill Wesley

Default A-7 Corsair Info needed

I am looking for information and pictures about USN A-7 Corsairs
stationed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan back in the mid 1980's.
Please email me at
Thanks
Bill Wesley

Old January 23rd 05, 03:52 PM
Pechs1

Bill- I am looking for information and pictures about USN A-7 Corsairs
stationed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan back in the mid 1980's. BRBR

I'd be interested in that also as none were AFAIK. A-7s were sometimes stashed
there from deployed airwings on WESTPAC, but none were there permanently.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 23rd 05, 04:21 PM
Elmshoot

I am looking for information and pictures about USN A-7 Corsairs
stationed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan back in the mid 1980's.

I'm pretty sure they were on Det from the ship. As a westpac deployment evolves
upon arrival in the Cubi area a Corrosion control Det is established in Cubi
Pt. Each squadron will off load a few planes that are run through CC while this
gives the ship of more room in the hangar bay and flight deck. Some are flown
while on the beach but for the most part they don't do much flying when the
planes are in CC.

On some ships they would unload one of the two A-7 squadrons. And they would
do unit level training as well as run exercises agains the battle group, not a
good deal for the guys chasing traps but still a pretty good deal. Then the
Sluff squadrons would swap out and the other would be on the shore. Most likely
that is were you saw A-7 at Iwakuni from. Pechs is right again.
This was before the "6 month deployment" when most ran about 8 months and when
you left you really didn't have an end date. My first one was almost 11 months.
1 April- to late Feb.
Sparky
Old January 24th 05, 08:03 AM
Dave in San Diego

(Elmshoot) wrote in
:

[...]

When I visited Iwakuni in '85 (was stationed there from '73-'76), there
was an entire A-7 squadron there, billed as a "spare" for the Midway, or
whichever other boat was doing IO duty at the time. Don't recall too much
else of what I learned in a 15 minute conversation with one of the maint
guys.

Dave in San Diego

HA-6 Carburetor Info needed Stu & Kathy Fields Home Built 0 May 13th 04 06:05 PM
Info needed for SH3 Gralmk Naval Aviation 7 March 24th 04 07:18 AM
Web site info needed dave Home Built 1 December 3rd 03 04:12 AM
Groom Lake/area 51 Migs from 70s info needed Aerophotos Military Aviation 23 September 13th 03 05:16 PM
RB-47H info needed for model Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 August 3rd 03 03:54 AM