Anyone have any experience with the F7U "Gutless Cutlass"

Old January 3rd 05, 03:07 AM
MuseumTech

Default Anyone have any experience with the F7U "Gutless Cutlass"

I was wondering if there were any retired Naval Aviators who have
flight hours logged with the dreaded F7U Cutlass. I work at the
National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola. We currently have
one on display. Aesthetically speaking, it's a pretty nice looking
plane, but I have read a lot of negative things about it. Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?
Were there other flaws? I would love to hear any stories from people
who flew this plane.
Thank you and Happy Holidays

Old January 3rd 05, 12:52 PM
Greasy Rider

On 2 Jan 2005 19:07:34 -0800, "MuseumTech"
postulated :
I was wondering if there were any retired Naval Aviators who have
flight hours logged with the dreaded F7U Cutlass. I work at the
National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola. We currently have
one on display. Aesthetically speaking, it's a pretty nice looking
plane, but I have read a lot of negative things about it. Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?
Were there other flaws? I would love to hear any stories from people
who flew this plane.
Thank you and Happy Holidays

There must be an echo in here from 12/22/04.
Old January 3rd 05, 02:13 PM
Mike Beede

In article .com, MuseumTech wrote:

Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?

I've just been reading John Moore's book _The Wrong Stuff_. He did some
carrier-qualification trials on the F7U and seemed to be of the opinion that
it wasn't just the engines. I recall something about an uncontrollable spin
departure that was unfortunate. Anyway, it's worth reading for his take
on the Flexdeck program--he claims to have made more wheels-up landings
in jet aircraft than anyone else.

I _think_ this Amazon link will take you to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188380910X

Mike Beede
Old January 3rd 05, 05:16 PM
~^ beancounter ~^

that F7U is a weird looking plane....imho...

Old January 3rd 05, 05:55 PM
Tex Houston

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
oups.com...
that F7U is a weird looking plane....imho...

As are almost all USN aircraft.

Ducking, weaving and laughing,

Tex Houston

Old January 4th 05, 12:11 AM
~^ beancounter ~^

tex...

really? i didn't think the f14's
and f16's were bad looking...

Old January 4th 05, 02:08 AM
Tex Houston

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
oups.com...
tex...

really? i didn't think the f14's
and f16's were bad looking...

Even though the USN has used a handful the F-16 is an Air Force design.

Tex

Old January 4th 05, 02:41 AM
~^ beancounter ~^

tex....air force design...nice lookin' plane....
it looks fast, just sitting there on the tarmac
or flight deck......

Old January 4th 05, 07:25 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Mike Beede writes:
In article .com, MuseumTech wrote:

Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?

I've just been reading John Moore's book _The Wrong Stuff_. He did some
carrier-qualification trials on the F7U and seemed to be of the opinion that
it wasn't just the engines. I recall something about an uncontrollable spin
departure that was unfortunate. Anyway, it's worth reading for his take
on the Flexdeck program--he claims to have made more wheels-up landings
in jet aircraft than anyone else.

Well, there was the fuel system that fed both afterburners from a
single sump tank, which wasn't all that big. The transfer pumps for
the other tanks couldn't refill the sump tnk as fast as the ABs could
suck it out - leaving with a pretty good chance of losing the airplane
to fuel exhaustion woth 3/4 of a ful load still aboard.

Or the slow changover mode in the powered flight controls - there was
a mechanical backup, with some manner of mechanical advantage system.
All very good, but the changover when losing the powered controls took
'bout 10 seconds. And, of course, the things always failed when you
were going straight up or straight down.

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions