Recommendation for Becker radio shop

Old December 7th 20, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sanyam Jain

Default Recommendation for Becker radio shop

On Saturday, December 5, 2020 at 5:14:04 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 8:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Been around aviation a long time but a newbie to the soaring community Helping a friend sort out some issues in a motor glider

The Becker 3200 com radio suddenly failed. Was working fine and on the next flight nothing after starting up the engine. Will not power up. I verified that it is getting power to the radio.

The tach also mysteriously died and the fuse on the vario blew. I suspect an over voltage problem but have not finished diagnostics.

Any recommendations on a shop to send the Becker radio to?

Bill

You have a couple of options, buy a used one, or send it back to Becker down in Ft. Lauderdale. I have been in their shop for service on my Becker transponder, call and speak with Alex. They handled my repair promptly and I walked out the door with a repaired transponder. These people are great and have a history of good service. Bob

ok

Old December 7th 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 7:36:39 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Becker USA doesn't seem to do a very good job advertising their repair services for the US. Googling "Becker USA Ft Lauderdale" I get a hit on http://www.beckerusa.com (located in Miramar FL?). Clicking on that I get redirected to https://www.becker-avionics.com/ in Germany. From there clicking on the "International Dealer-Service" link I see only European locations on the map (zooming to the US shows diddly-squat). Digging down further through "Dealer Portal US only" I see a "support" link to http://www.beckerusa.com/support which ... wait for it ... gives me a 404 error. OOPS. Blame it on Covid?

So this morning I called Becker USA (954-450-3137) in Miramar FL and they do repair all the models of Becker transceivers (3201, 4201 and 6201).

The support person I talked to said that the http://www.beckerusa.com domain was removed as corporate Becker Germany didn't want all the countries having their own web sites. It now is a redirect to http://www.becker-avionics.com/. If you click on a small black pull down in the upper left corner of the web site, and select "Americas/Japan/Australia", you get the USA location information. I expressed that http://www.becker-avionics.com/support should list all the country specific repair sites instead of a 404 error. I am probably tilting at windmills.

I will update my presentation.

- John OHM
Old December 7th 20, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 12:59:12 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

If you go to their webpage and click on America's and Japan the contact info for Becker is displayed, I did not get the 404 error. I contacted Alex today in regard to a Becker radio and was responded to within a hour. These are very good responsive people.
Old December 7th 20, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

If you go to their webpage and click on America's and Japan the contact info for Becker is displayed, I did not get the 404 error. I contacted Alex today in regard to a Becker radio and was responded to within a hour. These are very good responsive people.

Bob,

Yep, you are correct, the pull down to get the US information does not get the 404 error. It happens when you go to http://www.becker-avionics.com/support which is a link I found on another Becker page.

My real point, being an iffy website designer myself, is that the Becker site is pretty poor from a US perspective. Other than the pull down menu you used (which I never notice until they told me to look for it) there is no way to find US support information such as under Customer Service Dealers/Service (only shows Europe). I never did find the place to download a manual.

Becker avionics are great IMHO. Their web site? Not so much.

- John OHM (upside down that's WHO).
Old December 8th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 6:29:26 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

You are correct about the Becker products, they are very good, I can give you first hand experience of their service. I took my transponder in to them, they met me at the door, served me some very good Cuban coffee, and serviced my transponder while I waited. Their trade in program is very good, give them a call and ask for Alex, you will get great service. Bob
Old December 14th 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 5:25:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Becker doesn't list any service centers in the US, but they are available in Europe. Here is a flat-rate repair schedule:
https://www.becker-avionics.com/wp-c...es-2020-1..pdf

I don't know what kind of motorglider your friend has, but the Schleichers have a separate engine and avionics battery (assuming you order it with that option). One thing to try is an over-voltage crowbar protection such as this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lambda-L-20...wAAOSwdgtdR1Gq

Tom

FS: 4 Becker 4201 Radio Ross[_3_] Soaring 3 May 24th 17 09:19 PM
Shop/ Installer recommendation please? andy Piloting 4 April 28th 06 11:23 PM
Becker 3201 Radio [email protected] Soaring 8 December 8th 05 03:08 PM
Becker radio AD Tom Serkowski Soaring 3 November 2nd 04 01:43 AM
Recommendation for Radio, transponder and Altimeter Ron Natalie Home Built 0 July 8th 03 03:40 PM