Piper doors, why the passenger side?

Old September 27th 03, 03:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message

Does your plane have a left seat?

No.

Old September 27th 03, 04:00 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"EDR" wrote in message

Not true!
North American put a door on each side of the Commander 112/114.

Well, then they aren't single-door, four-place aircraft.

Old September 27th 03, 04:01 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message

Beech Musketeer also has doors both sides.

Which means it's not a low-wing, single-door, four-place model.

Old September 27th 03, 04:03 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"James Blakely" wrote in
message ...

I didn't think to ask then that but I would guess because it gives the

rear
passengers even more chances to escape.

But then the pilot may not be the last one out.

Old September 27th 03, 09:20 AM
Dave

Don't really care. I prefer to have the door on the right side. Flying
Cessna give me a touch of vertigo. Maybe its psychological. I do not like
having a door on my side and I feel a whole lot more comfortable with the
door so far away.

I thought it might be something to do with high wing vs. low wing and the
relative perspective of the ground from the pilots seat looking down. Since
I began flying a PA22 I know its is not that. Its down to the door and the
security of a "solid" surface on my left.

To me its the same feeling as when I went to the CAN Tower in Toronto.
Outside in the fresh air was not easy, but stepping on the glass floor was
no problem.

Dave
"Roger Tracy" wrote in message
Because the captain should go down with the ship. So... gotta
get the passengers off first.

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
om...
First off, this isn't a post to argue the merits of one-door vs.
two-doors, so if you want to do that, start your own thread...

Why does Piper put the door of the plane on the passenger side? I
cannot think of one good reason. Would like to hear the group's
opinions.

OTOH, I can think of several reasons it would be better to have the
single door on the pilots side:
1. Most flights are solo, so with the door on the pilots side, no
need to constantly climb across the passenger seat.
2. On that same point, I like to keep my charts and headsets on the
passenger seat. Again, I have to crawl over them each flight to get
to the pilots seat.
3. It would be nice to allow passengers to board before the pilot
enters.
4. Again most flights are solo, it seems that egress in the event of
an emergency would be easier with the door on the pilots side.

-Nathan

Old September 27th 03, 02:34 PM
EDR

In article , Dave
wrote:
I thought it might be something to do with high wing vs. low wing and the
relative perspective of the ground from the pilots seat looking down. Since
I began flying a PA22 I know its is not that. Its down to the door and the
security of a "solid" surface on my left.

You need to get some Cub/Husky time.
Better yet, take the door off your Piper and fly from the right seat.
You do wear your seat belt, don't you?
Old September 28th 03, 03:20 AM
Kyler Laird

EDR writes:

Better yet, take the door off your Piper and fly from the right seat.

I flew my Piper today (from the left seat - never know when I might need
to use the brakes)...up to Lansing where I flew without doors, floor,
windshield, or roof! Wow! *That* was a new feeling! It was good to get
back in the safe confines of the Aztec.

You do wear your seat belt, don't you?

I had mine on *tight* today. It's amazing how high 100' feels when
there's nothing around.

--kyler
Old September 28th 03, 09:54 PM
James Blakely

sigh

The pilot shouldn't leave until he knows all his passengers are out. With a
single door, that makes it difficult if it is on the pilot's side.

It would be okay on the 6 seat models if the pilot vacated the airplane if
it was to help the rear passengers out.

nk.net...

Old September 29th 03, 01:38 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"James Blakely" wrote in
message news

sigh

The pilot shouldn't leave until he knows all his passengers are out. With

single door, that makes it difficult if it is on the pilot's side.

Sigh? Follow the thread.