Certified Alien

Old November 7th 04, 11:28 PM
Anthony Quick

Default Certified Alien

Or should that be certificated! But I am confused....

I have had an FAA certificate isued on the basis of my Australian License
since 1996. I want to do some flying in the US in March 05. I will need to
get checked out by the FBO and renew my BFR I am not looking for any new
ratings. Do I need TSA clearance? Do I need to replace my piece of paper for
a photo license?

AQ

Old November 8th 04, 01:56 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Anthony Quick wrote:

Or should that be certificated! But I am confused....

I have had an FAA certificate isued on the basis of my Australian License
since 1996. I want to do some flying in the US in March 05. I will need to
get checked out by the FBO and renew my BFR I am not looking for any new
ratings. Do I need TSA clearance? Do I need to replace my piece of paper for
a photo license?

So far, BFRs are not considered training as far as the TSA is concerned, so you
appear to be OK there. We also do not yet have a requirement for photos on pilot
certificates. It's a long time 'til March, however.

The URL of the U.S. branch of AOPA is http://www.aopa.org . I would check with them
and keep checking with them on this issue right up until March.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 8th 04, 10:21 AM
Steve Foley

A friend of mine with an FAA certificate based on his UK certificate was
told that his certificate had been revoked as a result of 9/11. He was not
permitted to get an instrument rating. He had to get a private first.

He took both checkrides the same day.

Old November 9th 04, 02:36 AM
Chris

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Anthony Quick wrote:

Or should that be certificated! But I am confused....

I have had an FAA certificate isued on the basis of my Australian License
since 1996. I want to do some flying in the US in March 05. I will need to
get checked out by the FBO and renew my BFR I am not looking for any new
ratings. Do I need TSA clearance? Do I need to replace my piece of paper for
a photo license?

So far, BFRs are not considered training as far as the TSA is concerned, so you
appear to be OK there. We also do not yet have a requirement for photos on pilot
certificates. It's a long time 'til March, however.

On the other hand the USCIS (former INS) may consider the BFRs as
training, meaning that you need a F, J or M visa to enter the US.
Check your local US embassy or consulate

The URL of the U.S. branch of AOPA is http://www.aopa.org . I would check with them
and keep checking with them on this issue right up until March.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

Chris
PP-ASEL, Glider
New Mexico
Old November 9th 04, 11:44 AM
Dylan Smith

In article . net, Chris wrote:
On the other hand the USCIS (former INS) may consider the BFRs as
training, meaning that you need a F, J or M visa to enter the US.
Check your local US embassy or consulate

No, the former INS has already said that BFRs and checkouts for the
purpose of vacations/hour building do not require a F J or M visa.
Citizens from visa waiver countries can legally do this sort of thing
without a visa.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old November 9th 04, 11:45 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Steve
Foley wrote:
A friend of mine with an FAA certificate based on his UK certificate was
told that his certificate had been revoked as a result of 9/11. He was not
permitted to get an instrument rating. He had to get a private first.

He was told wrong - they never had been revoked. However, IIRC, to get
an instrument rating on a US ticket, you do need a bona-fide US ticket
to start with (I think it was Andrew Sarangan who originally discussed
this, coming to the US with a Canadian license)

Old November 9th 04, 06:58 PM
Andrew Sarangan

I don't know what TSA has done post-9/11, but FAR 61 still seems to
allow issuance of pilot certificates based on foreign licenses. But
you cannot add a U.S. rating to that certificate. I was in the same
situation, and I took the private pilot checkride and the instrument
checkride back to back. In hindsight, what I should have done is to
take the commercial checkride first and then the instrument checkride.
That way I could have avoided having to take the private checkride
once again.

Old November 9th 04, 08:47 PM
Chris

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
m...
I don't know what TSA has done post-9/11, but FAR 61 still seems to
allow issuance of pilot certificates based on foreign licenses. But
you cannot add a U.S. rating to that certificate. I was in the same
situation, and I took the private pilot checkride and the instrument
checkride back to back. In hindsight, what I should have done is to
take the commercial checkride first and then the instrument checkride.
That way I could have avoided having to take the private checkride
once again.

Wrong again it seems.
I have just (September 2004) added an FAA/IR to my FAA private issued on the
basis of a UK licence. The certificate gets endorsed "US test passed " to
make it clear that it is not a foreign IR.

I did discuss with the examiner the merits of doing the private in its own
right but he advised me to do the commercial bearing in mind my total number
of hours and have the IR transferred to that. he saw no merit in going
backwards ratings wise.

see this link in particular section 3 H (4)

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/faa/8700/...5/2_029_00.htm

Old November 9th 04, 08:59 PM
Chris

I might also add that if a pilot has not gone though the verification of
certificate process then it is impossible to have a rating issued.

Although I had a brand spanking new plastic FAA certificate re-issued I
still had to present a current valid letter of verification of my UK
licences to the examiner.

In the absence of that then to complete the IR I would have had to do the
private first and have the private issued as any regular one is.

The Verification letter is valid for about 6 months as I recall and a copy
is sent to the nominated FSDO (being the FSDO of the DPE) and a copy sent to
the pilot.

If you change your mind and go to a DPE based with another FSDO then one of
three things can happen.

a) You get Oklahoma to reissue the Verification letter to the appropriate
FSDO. Unfortunately they will also send your copy to the address on your
foreign certificate. If you are in the US this may not be too helpful.

b) you find someone DPE, FSDO willing to work out how the different FSDOs
reconcile the matter - Not easy and you may find that the FSDOs are prepared
to sort this out. Don't blame them really as its not their fault.

c) Or you just do the regular stuff and do not rely on the Verification
letters. For me that would have meant doing the private knowledge test, the
tree hours of training 60 days before the checkride and then the check ride,
followed by doing the IR checkride. (Knowledge test already passed)

Old November 10th 04, 03:13 AM
Hilton

Anthony Quick wroe:
Or should that be certificated! But I am confused....

"Certificated"

Do I need TSA clearance?

The TSA stuff is only required when training for a certificate or rating.

See: http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule

Hilton