initial fix an intersection

Old November 12th 03, 10:35 PM
SFM

Default initial fix an intersection

Why is it bad flight planning to use an intersection for your initial fix on
your IFR flight?

My plan has two NAVs and an IFR GPS. So I have at least 3 ways to identify
the intersection granted doing it with one NAV is painful during departure
but it could be done. I curious to hear people opinions.

Scott

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------

Old November 12th 03, 11:34 PM
Kobra

It's sounds ok to use an INT as an initial approach fix under your
circumstances, but do you think that ATC's clearance will be of the same
mind as what you planned?

Kobra

Old November 13th 03, 02:04 AM
David Megginson

"SFM" writes:

Why is it bad flight planning to use an intersection for your
initial fix on your IFR flight?

I've never heard the issue discussed, myself, but I imagine that the
problem would be navigating to the intersection from the airport if
you didn't have an IFR GPS and you were not starting out on one of the
intersecting airways.

All the best,

David
Old November 13th 03, 03:10 AM
Dan Luke

"SFM" wrote:
Why is it bad flight planning to use an intersection for your initial
fix on your IFR flight?

Who says it is? I file to STETS as my first fix every time I head north
out of Mobile -- if I don't, ZHU will do it for me anyway.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 13th 03, 12:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"SFM" wrote in message

Why is it bad flight planning to use an intersection for your initial fix

on
your IFR flight?

It isn't.

Old November 13th 03, 12:53 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Megginson" wrote in message

I've never heard the issue discussed, myself, but I imagine that the
problem would be navigating to the intersection from the airport if
you didn't have an IFR GPS and you were not starting out on one of the
intersecting airways.

Well, you shouldn't plan what you can't do, but it's his plan and he does
have an IFR GPS so that's not a problem.

Old November 13th 03, 04:54 PM
Michael

"SFM" wrote
Why is it bad flight planning to use an intersection for your initial fix on
your IFR flight?

It's not. Who said it was?

Michael
Old November 13th 03, 05:58 PM
Stan Gosnell

"SFM" wrote in :

Why is it bad flight planning to use an intersection for your initial
fix on your IFR flight?

My plan has two NAVs and an IFR GPS. So I have at least 3 ways to
identify the intersection granted doing it with one NAV is painful
during departure but it could be done. I curious to hear people
opinions.

I do that all the time. It can be difficult to navigate directly to an
intersection if all you have is one VOR, but with an IFR GPS it's easy. We
have lots of bases which make that necessary, or else go way, way out of
our way when we're fuel critical at takeoff in the first place.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old November 13th 03, 07:57 PM
Snowbird

David Megginson wrote in message ...

I've never heard the issue discussed, myself, but I imagine that the
problem would be navigating to the intersection from the airport if
you didn't have an IFR GPS and you were not starting out on one of the
intersecting airways.

Why can't you just navigate to the intersection with
two VORs? Isn't that taught?

One VOR, I wouldn't care to attempt myself. Would want to
be established on an airway.

Cheers,
Sydney