Tiny vacuum pump

Old January 17th 04, 07:03 PM
Tom Pappano

Jim Weir wrote:
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

If you have compressed air already available, there are small venturi
vacuum generators you can use. They are just a tiny chunk of
aluminum with three 1/8" pipe threaded ports, air in, air out,
and vacuum. The one in my "solder sucker" pulls about a
26" vacuum and damn quick too! A "baggie" would be evacuated
almost instantly.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA

Old January 18th 04, 07:54 AM
Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club

Try using warm oil, not hot enough to melt through, roll the air out of
the baggie, seal it and as the oil cools, maybe it will pull it own
vaccuum...

Old January 18th 04, 12:24 PM
James R. Freeman

Jimmy:
Use an old compressor from a freg. I have a high dollar Freon pump but
use the old G.M. compressor more.
Jim

Old January 18th 04, 01:33 PM
Hooter141

Try this: Put parts in bag, slowly lower bag into bucket of water until only
the top inch or so is above water (Don't get any water in the bag!) Zip bag
closed while most of bag is under water. Remove. The water pressure should
have forced 99% of the air out and you have a psuedo "sealed" part. The

Old January 18th 04, 05:30 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Mark Mallory wrote:
: Mike: ask Ron Jones about how we made a vacuum pump out of an old Briggs and
: Stratton lawnmower engine (we were trying to make our own freeze-dried food...)

: Probably not the most time/cost-effective solution, but we sure had fun!

: Mark/C182L

Probably like my dad's 1939 Oliver 60 tractor. It has a stopcock
on the intake manifold for milking one cow at a time if the electricity
went out. Probably too big to fit on your desk though...

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old January 18th 04, 05:36 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Jim Weir wrote:
: Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
: of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
: 110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

I've actually got one of these at home. I found it from a pile of
surplus equipment. It doesn't pull much vacuum, but it basically is an
aquarium pump. I'll try to find a model number on it and report back.

Old January 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Blueskies

Take one of these apart:

http://www.ballsonline.com/details.a...t=136&path=136

then reverse the little flapper valve to make it suck instead of blow...

--
Dan D.

..

Old January 19th 04, 10:45 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:03:40 GMT, Tom Pappano
wrote:

Jim Weir wrote:
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Those aquarium air pumps pull air from around the case.

How about placing one inside a cheapo tupperware-type container with a
"suck" port mounted on the container, you'd also need to run a "blow"
port from the pump's normal output through the container wall.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Home Built 1 December 15th 04 05:17 PM
Windmilling Prop & Vacuum Pump Matt Young Instrument Flight Rules 14 October 14th 04 08:08 PM
Remove oil seal from vacuum pump adapter on Lycoming IO320 HOW????? Ron Home Built 2 February 24th 04 04:34 PM
Tiny vacuum pump Jim Weir Home Built 41 January 24th 04 05:42 AM
Battery and Vacuum pump PaulaJay1 Owning 3 January 16th 04 04:22 PM