Careless Linemen

Old May 30th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Careless Linemen

"Mike Gaskins" wrote in message
oups.com...
Skywise wrote:
Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

It's for safety purposes. The general public does not have the
required skills and training to pump gasoline, ergo you need a
professional for the job to keep accidents from happening.
(/sarcasm_off)

I've seen some idiots before who would talk on the phone or smoke a
cigarette while pumping gas, but IMHO I find a state law telling me
that I'm not competent to pump gas very insulting.

Mike

Safety my ass. It is a make work law.

BTW... Cell Phones really don't cause fires at gas stations.

Old May 30th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
BTW... Cell Phones really don't cause fires at gas stations.

Snopes urban legends page on this subject agrees, but you'll find warning
stickers on some gas pumps:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
Old May 31st 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Look it up yourself.

"Al" wrote in message

"karl gruber" wrote in message
Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane.
Can't fuel your own car either.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Really? Cite?

Al

Old May 31st 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Logajan wrote in news:Xns97D38A5FCB7F6JamesLLugojcom@
216.168.3.30:

Skywise wrote:
Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

The alleged reasons are itemized in "480.315 Policy" of the relevant
statutes, found he

http://www.oregon.gov/OOHS/SFM/docs/...k/CardlockStat

utes_Rules080505.pdf

That these issues have been shown to be false or grossly exaggerated in 48
other states has not appeared to phase the legislature or allegedly Oregon
voters (last time they were given the option to dump the law in 1982 the
voters said no thanks).

But getting back to aviation - at least pilots can now rest easy knowing
they can fuel their own aircraft when landing in Oregon.

Thank's for the link. My first thought at starting to read it was,
"HA! What a ****ing joke!". I'm considering sending an email to the
appropriate person in Oregon saying the same thing.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old May 31st 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane.
Can't fuel your own car either.

Really? Cite?

Look it up yourself.

Hmm?

"...with 24 hour self-service 100LL and Jet-A fuel"

http://www.bakercityairport.com/
[Snips from the link]
Baker Aircraft is the Fixed Base Operator FBO at the Baker City, Oregon
airport, located in the northeastern section of the state.

We are a full-service Fixed Base Operator (FBO) with 24 hour self-service
100LL and Jet-A fuel, first-class maintenance, rental aircraft and charters.

Montblack

Old May 31st 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

It's for safety purposes. The general public does not have the
required skills and training to pump gasoline, ergo you need a
professional for the job to keep accidents from happening.
(/sarcasm_off)

I've seen some idiots before who would talk on the phone or smoke a
cigarette while pumping gas, but IMHO I find a state law telling me
that I'm not competent to pump gas very insulting.

And I saw someone drive off dragging the fuel hose behind...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old May 31st 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane.
Can't fuel your own car either.

An exemption was passed for Aircraft Self-Service gas. But autos must
still wait for an attendant to fill their vehicle. Self-service fas has
been disapproved by the voters several times. It makes no sense to me,
but (we) Oregonians pride ourselves in being different.

- John Ousterhout -

Old May 31st 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:43:32 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Tell you what I suggest for the futu Lay hands on enough rubber or soft
plastic to cover the area of the filler with a good margin around it, and
cut out a circle just a tad larger than the filler opening. Tell the lineboy
to put it in place before inserting the nozzle. I'll bet you could go to a
second-hand store and pick up place mats, dish mats, etc that would do the
job for pennies.

I've stopped over at a number of good sized airports and most of the
FBOs used a matt like this to protect the paint. At Tyson McGee (sp?)
they even rolled out a carpet for us to walk on. They did that for
every plane stopping over. That was a few years ago, so I wonder if
they still do it.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old May 31st 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Logajan wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
BTW... Cell Phones really don't cause fires at gas stations.

Snopes urban legends page on this subject agrees, but you'll find warning
stickers on some gas pumps:

If you were a lawyer for a gas station, would you recommend the sticker?

I would. G
Old May 31st 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Ousterhout" wrote in
message news:8k7fg.755756$084.747941@attbi_s22...

An exemption was passed for Aircraft Self-Service gas. But autos must
still wait for an attendant to fill their vehicle. Self-service fas has
been disapproved by the voters several times. It makes no sense to me,
but (we) Oregonians pride ourselves in being different.

- John Ousterhout -

Well loose the pride. You're like New Jersey.