How airplanes are made.

Old February 9th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

Default How airplanes are made.

("Denny" wrote)
Who/what the hell are "Gilmore Girls"?

http://www.gilmoregirls.org/images/group/12.jpg
TV show on the WB about a mother and a daughter raising each other, in a
small town - the daughter being the adult of the two.

http://www.gilmoregirls.org/images/group/66.jpg
Another pic

http://www.gilmoregirls.org/group.html
The show's rapid-fire dialogue, mostly between mom and daughter, became its
trademark.

http://www.gilmoregirls.org/images/group/159.jpg
TV Guide: The Best Show You're Not Watching

Montblack

Old February 9th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

On 7 Feb 2007 14:47:50 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

Has anyone seen the show "How It's Made"? It's on the Discovery
Channel. They had a segment on Diamond Aircraft.
It was quite interesting to show the fiberglass and carbon sections
being made and then assembled. They also showed the engine install
and some avionics. Unfortunatly it was extremly short. Now I know I've
been doing it wrong. They just proved it only takes about 8 minutes to
build a plane.
Lou

Well, it's not on TV but pictures of my visit to Aviat Aviation (home
of the Husky and Pitts) in AFton Wyoming last summer are at:

http://neme-s.org/Western_Trip_2006/...t_Aviation.htm

Errol Groff
EAA 60159

Old February 9th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 7, 7:31 pm, "J.Kahn" wrote:
Lou wrote:
Has anyone seen the show "How It's Made"? It's on the Discovery
Channel. They had a segment on Diamond Aircraft.
It was quite interesting to show the fiberglass and carbon sections
being made and then assembled. They also showed the engine install
and some avionics. Unfortunatly it was extremly short. Now I know I've
been doing it wrong. They just proved it only takes about 8 minutes to
build a plane.
Lou

I know several people who've gone to work at Diamond in London, Ontario
and moved on after a while. It has a rep as a tough place to work with
a fairly high turnover. They push their engineering staff really hard.
50-60 hour weeks with no overtime during on the Djet development program.

On the other hand there is a great employee flying club where you can
rent the company products cheap.

John

John,

I think that is pretty endemic in the GA industry. Lower pay than
other industries (including commercial and military aircraft/avionics
companies) and longer hours. Margins are pretty thin in GA, and
companies also tend to take advantage of individuals who are
enthusiastic about aviation and being part of something that they
think is cool. Eventually, those people burn out and lose that
enthusiasm. After that, they realize that they can do better
financially and work-life balance-wise doing something else, so they
move on...

Dean

Old February 10th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 9, 4:22 am, "Denny" wrote:
"How It's Made" is so superficial that if they showed a segment on how
'they' make a program it would be 3 milliseconds long...

I disagree, at least as regards this episode. I thought they covered
the basic processes of composite aircraft manufacturing very well,
considering the inherent limitations of the medium. I learned a bunch
of neat shmoo and squeegee techniques from watching, and I've been
doing it for a while.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old February 10th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 9, 4:22 am, "Denny" wrote:
"How It's Made" is so superficial that if they showed a segment on how
'they' make a program it would be 3 milliseconds long...

I disagree, at least as regards this episode. I thought they covered
the basic processes of composite aircraft manufacturing very well,
considering the inherent limitations of the medium. I learned a bunch
of neat shmoo and squeegee techniques from watching, and I've been
doing it for a while.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Bob,

This is off the subject; however, I was looking at your recent HP-24 updates
and want to complement you of the "gear overcenter + uplock" system. It is
a major improvement to Schreder's original design. Are you also planning to
use the incorporate your gas-spring kit in the HP-24?
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co.../18-1110-A.pdf)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old February 10th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 10, 5:18 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:

This is off the subject; however, I was looking at your recent HP-24 updates
and want to complement you of the "gear overcenter + uplock" system. It is
a major improvement to Schreder's original design. Are you also planning to
use the incorporate your gas-spring kit in the HP-24?
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co.../18-1110-A.pdf)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Thanks! I'm not sure I consider it a major improvement over the
Schreder original, since it does add a few more parts to break. But I
do think it's a tradeoff more in line with what modern pilots expect
and demand.

Yes, I'll be incorporating the gas spring I developed for the HP-18,
pretty much intact. The only difference is that I'll be putting it in
the left side gear well, since the retract drive and other bits are in
the way on the right.

Old February 10th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The gas spring is on the port (left) side of my HP-14 for the same reason.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...Gas_Spring.htm
I have found that this system opporates smoother than any of the factory
built sailplanes (ASW-27, ASW-20, LS-6, 1-35) flying out of Nampa.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com