Presidents What Has Been Shot At

Old February 18th 04, 09:57 PM
Prof. Vincent Brannigan

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Prof. Vincent Brannigan" wrote in message

The founding fathers knew exactly what they were doing. Congress had the

power
to create an army and navy, but the president was its "commander". The
president gives "military" orders to subordinate commanders. He does not

merely
give "policy" direction as the Prime minister did in England.

The President is "commander" because that was the price of getting George
Washington to agree to be President.

you are confusing rationale with the basis for power. The status as commander
in chief derives from the constitution.

The DoD is a mechanism whererby Congress' money is spent. That is why
Congress has the Authority to confirm, or reject, Cabinet level Executive
heads.

no, The constitution confers that power , and its the senate, not congress that
can Advise and consent.
has nothing to do with the spending power.

Vince

he shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall
appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme
Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not
herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by law: but the
Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior officers, as they
think proper, in the President alone, in the courts of law, or in the heads of
departments.

Vince

Old February 18th 04, 11:40 PM
Steven James Forsberg

: You go on to list an article that indicates he served his years, did his
: duty, actually sought to get into the combat theater...and yet all you can
: do is poke fun at him. He never claimed to be a combat hero, and he never
: was awarded a bogus Silver Star like LBJ. He did not come back home and
: start labeling his compatriots as war criminals without a sound basis in
: fact, as your buddy Kerry did. So just what is your beef with Nixon's

No, Nixon never started labeling his compatriots as war criminals.
He labeled them as commies and pinkos, instead. Or stood by while his
constituency did so. Just ask Marshall... ;-)

regards,

Old February 18th 04, 11:45 PM
Jack Linthicum

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message ...
"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message
om...
Steven James Forsberg wrote in message

: Johnson got a direct commission while a congressman. He was riding in

a plane
: that was attacked. His "mission" was bogus, the decorations for it

were bogus,
: but the bullets were apparently real.

I wouldn't call the missio "bogus." The aerial missions were very
real, it's just that LBJ volunteered to go along. His being a

congresscritter
probably assisted in the process, and he may have done it specifically

in
order to fight charges of being 'yellow'. His previous military duties

had
been in war production and inspection tours. However, the bullets were

ver
real. On the other hand, most agree that Mac was kissing arse when he
handed out that star....
Personally, I think that keeping serving congressfolks out of
uniform is a splendid idea. ISTR that FDR got some flak for making that
decision, but I think it was the right one.

BTW, does anyone know specifically if Nixon was present during a
bombing? Would that get counted as "shot at"? Nixon served on

Guadalcanal.
It was right after the pullout of Japanese ground troops, but didn't
Henderson field still get bombed once in a while? He was a supply

officer
with the Pacific air forces, but bombs (like rain) fall on all alike....

No mention of good Quaker Nixon getting bombed, I'm sure after he made
Congressman if there was a half-truth that could be inflated to hero
status he would gotten it. He is a home-town boy and I didn't hear any
thing that could pass as secert dope that Dickie had been brave.

You go on to list an article that indicates he served his years, did his
duty, actually sought to get into the combat theater...and yet all you can
do is poke fun at him. He never claimed to be a combat hero, and he never
was awarded a bogus Silver Star like LBJ. He did not come back home and
start labeling his compatriots as war criminals without a sound basis in
fact, as your buddy Kerry did. So just what is your beef with Nixon's
service? Would you like him better if he had made up stuff, like you have
done with your laughable "trained on demo at Camp Perry" crap, Jack?

"I know this is hard for you but the comments are supposed to have
some relevance to the thread. I didn't knock Nixon, I didn't mention
any thing about medals or war criminals or even your favorite fantasy
that I was never at Camp Peary (correct spelling, Camp Perry is in
Ohio where they hold the gun contests). I will introduce to my plumber
sometime, he joined the Navy at 17 went to Seal school, got sucked
into the CIA's favorite game of using others and now has regular
sessions with his psychiatrist. We share Camp Peary as an alma-mater.

You see Nixon came back from what war he had seen and needed to defeat
a very popular Democratic politician, Jerry Voorhees. He decided that
Voorhees was a New Dealer and therefore too Liberal. This at a time
when liberal was good and conservative bad in Southern California.
Nixon won, almost to his amazement. So when he went for the Senate
against Helen Gahagen Douglas the campaign was destined to be one of
the nation's most famous--and infamous. Nixon, waging an inspiring
red-baiting campaign, was unrelenting in his charges. If he never
actually called her a communist, saying she was "pink right down to
her underwear" was not a fashion critique. His legions were yet less
restrained. Murray Chotiner, Nixon's campaign manager, printed an
infamous flyer that was handed out at rallies. Printed on pink paper
(and, thus, forever known as the "pink sheet"), it more than implied a
connection between Douglas and communism.

Other Nixon campaign workers called Douglas a communist when they
approached strangers on the street. They called her a communist when
they telephoned thousands of homes the night before the election. In
an era when the nation's fear was palpable, the strategy was a great
success. On election day Nixon won handily. Douglas never again ran
for public office. She did not, however, leave the spotlight. A
tireless public speaker and activist, Douglas lobbied for liberal
causes until her death on June 28, 1980, in New York. "

Now where did I say anything about Nixon that would imply that he was
disloyal and made stuff up? You are advised to 1) Learn to answer the
questions and not make up your own and 2) Try to keep your responses
(I can't call them answers as they are not) within the topic under
discussion.
Old February 19th 04, 12:56 AM
B2431

From: "Prof. Vincent Brannigan"
Date: 2/18/2004 3:57 PM Central Standard Time

Tarver Engineering wrote:

[...]

Vince, tarver has never allowed reality to get in the way and will never admit
when he's wrong. If you need a laugh do a Google search of his name in
newsgroups like this one and RAH. He's spewed in many others and has even
claimed to be an expert on a wide range of subjects.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 19th 04, 01:18 AM
Kevin Brooks

[...]

Nah, of course not...that whole HMS Pinafore ditty was not directed at the
subject you were discussing, now was it?

I didn't mention
any thing about medals or war criminals or even your favorite fantasy
that I was never at Camp Peary (correct spelling, Camp Perry is in
Ohio where they hold the gun contests). I will introduce to my plumber
sometime, he joined the Navy at 17 went to Seal school, got sucked
into the CIA's favorite game of using others and now has regular
sessions with his psychiatrist. We share Camp Peary as an alma-mater.

Sure you do, Jack. You and Walter Mitty, that is...

snip

Now where did I say anything about Nixon that would imply that he was
disloyal and made stuff up?

I didn't say that. I asked if you'd have been happier with him if he had
made stuff up, like you do...

Brooks

Old February 19th 04, 03:11 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
:
: Work on that reading comprehension, Tarver.
:
:I have no such problem, Fred.
:
:The DoD is Congressional Authority delegated to the Executive. There is no
oD in the US Constitution.

No, the DoD is an EXECUTIVE agency, so it can hardly be "Congressional
Authority". Go read that Constitution again, right where I told you
to, where it talks about "heads of executive agencies" or some such.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 19th 04, 03:22 AM
Steven James Forsberg

: Which beats the hell out of giving aid and comfort to the enemy
: like Hanoi Bob. The fact that Macarthy was right about Communists
: in the State Department never seems to appear in these discussions.
: Kerry's campaign song ought to be something entitled "Commie Chameleon"
: a rework of that Boy George thingie err... thingie.

Tailgunner Joe was rather like the Southern sherrif who actually
accidentally lynched a few criminals during a career of lynching blacks.
Not that Joe was always wrong. Take for example his declaiming the
US military for using "Gestapo Tactics" and resigning in protest from
a committee investigation -- protesting US "tribunals" used by the military
to convict accused German war criminals tried at Dachau. He thought that the
US was committing a grave injustice in the methods it used to try, among
others, those accused of the Malmedy massacres.
I guess since Germany had been defeated it was no longer giving aid
and comfort to the "enemy"? ;-)
regards,

Old February 19th 04, 01:01 PM
Jack Linthicum

[...]

You then have forgotten the Gilbert and Sullivan costumes, er
uniforms, that RMN wanted for his 'palace guard'? And William
Rehnquist's 'Lord High Executioner' stripes for his robes?

I didn't mention
any thing about medals or war criminals or even your favorite fantasy
that I was never at Camp Peary (correct spelling, Camp Perry is in
Ohio where they hold the gun contests). I will introduce to my plumber
sometime, he joined the Navy at 17 went to Seal school, got sucked
into the CIA's favorite game of using others and now has regular
sessions with his psychiatrist. We share Camp Peary as an alma-mater.

Sure you do, Jack. You and Walter Mitty, that is...

Walt didn't make it, washed out 'cause he couldn't spell Peary. And I
thought you grew up around there, looks like you didn't, grow up, that
is.

snip

Now where did I say anything about Nixon that would imply that he was
disloyal and made stuff up?

I didn't say that. I asked if you'd have been happier with him if he had
made stuff up, like you do...

Yes, I do quote stuff you can't get from reading Army training
manuals. 'Parafin oil', anyone?
Old February 19th 04, 03:52 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
:
: Work on that reading comprehension, Tarver.
:
:I have no such problem, Fred.
:
:The DoD is Congressional Authority delegated to the Executive. There is

no
oD in the US Constitution.

No, the DoD is an EXECUTIVE agency, so it can hardly be "Congressional
Authority".

What color is the sky in your world, Fred?

Old February 19th 04, 04:27 PM
Prof. Vincent Brannigan

Tarver Engineering wrote:

you are confusing rationale with the basis for power. The status as

commander
in chief derives from the constitution.

I am educating you professor, don't attempt to project your confusion on to
me.

I'm always happy to be educated. I studied Constitutional law. I've even
published on it.
see below

The DoD is a mechanism whererby Congress' money is spent. That is why
Congress has the Authority to confirm, or reject, Cabinet level

Executive
heads.

no, The constitution confers that power , and its the senate, not congress

that can Advise and consent.
has nothing to do with the spending power.

All Cabinet level positions are created by Congress to spend Congress'
money.

Its the governments money, not "congress'" money

It is a way for Congress to evade their responsibility for spending.
If Congress had to write a check each time, as provided for by the
Constitution, there would be no excuse for out of control spending.

nonsense. Spending is an executive function. Congress "appropriates" money

"No money shall be drawn from the treasury, but in consequence of appropriations
made by law; and a regular
statement and account of receipts and expenditures of all public money shall be
published from time to time. "

Appropriation is a legislative function. Spending money is an executive
function.

Vince