Towing with VW Bora diesel?

Old August 26th 03, 06:00 PM
Ulrich

I have a 2003 VW TDI Jetta wagon and have been towing my Cobra trailer
and ASW-24 with it this summer. I can only say that it is a very good
towing combination. 120km/hr is no problem at all, even with the
trailer, 4 people and luggage. Of course, it does not accelerate like
a v8 SUV would but then it also doesn't burn gas like one either. My
fuel economy is still close to 50 mpg (imperial gallons) with the
trailer. The handling is great and the car and trailer are very stable
even in cross winds. Braking is no problem with the 4 wheel disk
brakes and the surge brakes on the trailer. Canadian diesel fuel is
also normally of good quality so I have not had any problems with
that. The key to longevity with this turbo is to use the best possible
synthetic motor oil. Esso Delvac 1 and Petrocan Duron are two high
quality brands which will ensure long turbo and engine life.
I have towed with many different vehicles over my 30+ year gliding
career and can honestly say that the VW Jetta TDI is one of the best,
with the possible exception of all-out acceleration.

Ulli Werneburg
ASW-24 "MZ"

(Buck Wild) wrote in message . com...
You have to keep in mind that a VW Bora sold today in Europe has a
much more advanced enging/fuel management system than the ones sold in
the good old US of A. You can only get the 90HP (67kW) engine here,
while the engines sold in Europe have either 74kW (100HP) or 96kW
(128HP) in the TDI-PD version... (PD=Pumpe-Düse or one injector pump
unit per cylinder)
Ulrich Neumann
Diesel Head

Yes, but they won't ship them here, as they are incompatible with
sulpher ppm above 50, and US is upwards of 500ppm.
I am very pleased with the power increase with the Upsolute software.
My automatic wagon will now spin it's wheels & pulls hard to redline @
130mph (Death Valley) Power is now approx 115hp and over 200LbFt,
milage unchanged, low to mid 40's
More info here...
www.tdiclub.com/
www.upsolute.com/