Laser CIWS

Old January 2nd 04, 07:15 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Default Laser CIWS

With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has been/is
a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

..intended to replace this?

http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/weap...phalanx_en.htm

Regards...
Old January 2nd 04, 08:26 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote:

With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has been/is
a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

The new carriers in the works for the US include much more electrical
capacity to allow for just such a thing.

Most of the newer ships have a more modular approach, so they can change
out weapons much faster when they become available.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old January 2nd 04, 10:52 PM
B2431

From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy" am
Date: 1/2/2004 1:15 PM Central Standard Time

With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has been/is
a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

..intended to replace this?

http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/weap...phalanx_en.htm

Regards...

Not likely. The ABL is designed to be fired in the clear air at altitude. A
ship borne version would face problems with smoke, fog and sea spray
interferance.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 2nd 04, 11:16 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,

From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy"
am

With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has been/is
a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

Not likely. The ABL is designed to be fired in the clear air at altitude. A
ship borne version would face problems with smoke, fog and sea spray
interferance.

For larger ships, spray would be somewhat less of a problem, and could
be avoided as an issue with fast-operating covers for the systems. With
a good choice of wavelengths, smoke and fog aren't that much of a
problem, especially at fairly short ranges.

It's just going to be a while. Heck, they're talking about laser
weapons for *tanks*, which tend to live in much worse conditions almost
all of the time.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old January 2nd 04, 11:42 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

(B2431) wrote in
:
From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy"
am
Date: 1/2/2004 1:15 PM Central Standard Time

With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has
been/is a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

..intended to replace this?

http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/weap...phalanx_en.htm

Regards...

Not likely. The ABL is designed to be fired in the clear air at
altitude. A ship borne version would face problems with smoke,
fog and sea spray interferance.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

But impossible to overcome? I think there are som arguments
in favor:

1. A ship is a more stable platform than an airplane
2. The ABL's targets are houndreds of miles away, while
CIWS operate in less than a mile
3. More powerful lasers and advances in adaptive optics will
compensate for air distortions

Regards...
Old January 2nd 04, 11:42 PM
B2431

From: Chad Irby
Date: 1/2/2004 5:16 PM Central Standard Time

In article ,

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Back in 1971 or 1972 Popular Mechanics(?) showed a picture of a laser tank. g

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 3rd 04, 12:01 AM
B2431

From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy" am
Date: 1/2/2004 5:42 PM Central Standard Time
(B2431) wrote in
:
From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy"
am
Date: 1/2/2004 1:15 PM Central Standard Time

With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has
been/is a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

..intended to replace this?

http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/weap...phalanx_en.htm

Regards...

Not likely. The ABL is designed to be fired in the clear air at
altitude. A ship borne version would face problems with smoke,
fog and sea spray interferance.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

But impossible to overcome? I think there are som arguments
in favor:

1. A ship is a more stable platform than an airplane
2. The ABL's targets are houndreds of miles away, while
CIWS operate in less than a mile
3. More powerful lasers and advances in adaptive optics will
compensate for air distortions

Regards...

Good points.

I have no idea how die lasers work but I wonder how long they shelf life of the
chemicals are. In the case of the airborne version they can be prepared just
prior to flight. Again not an insoluable problem for boats.

When I mentioned sea spray I sould also have said rain. I don't know if they
can be optically corrected for.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 3rd 04, 03:18 AM
No Spam!

From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy" am
Date: 1/2/2004 5:42 PM Central Standard Time
From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy"
am
Date: 1/2/2004 1:15 PM Central Standard Time
[...]

One of the issues is the lasers produce toxic gases. On the ABL, they
are vented outside the plane and are dispersed in the slipstream.

On ships it could be a more significant problem to get rid of them
without endangering the crew.

On the other hand, a ship could carry more laser fuel and heat
dispersion is easier to solve.

Old January 3rd 04, 08:31 AM
John Keeney

From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy" am
Date: 1/2/2004 1:15 PM Central Standard Time
With weight ever decreasing, does anyone know if there has been/is
a project on something like this:

http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/abl.html

..intended to replace this?

http://www.military.cz/usa/navy/weap...phalanx_en.htm

Not likely. The ABL is designed to be fired in the clear air at altitude.

ship borne version would face problems with smoke, fog and sea spray
interferance.

It is true that the near sea surface is a bad propagation environment
for most laser weapons. However, for a short range defensive weapon,
propagation over long range isn't an issue.
The idea is thought about on occasion, but I don't know that it has
advanced to the level of "project". Improved close in weapons systems
just aren't high on the Navy's priority list right now.