Leaking water ballast bags

Old June 10th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Itsaplane[_2_]

Default Leaking water ballast bags

One of the bags on my DG-300 is leaking. I took it out of the wing
and confirmed that it's leaking at the seam an inch or so from where
the plastic inlet clamps in place (the wing root end).

Repair options seem limited -- but I'm tempted to try to fold over the
seam of the ballast bag that's leaking and clamp it externally to try
to isolate the problem. Has anyone tried this?

I'm sure I'll be advised to bite the bullet and buy new bags. That's
a likely result and, so far, through past threads I've found:

http://www.easternsailplane.com/catalog2/water.html (they advertise
Smiley Bags for $360 a pair for DG-300's)
and
http://www.clipper.com.au/ (they can make bags if I give them
drawings...).

Any others?

Thanks,

Eric
Old June 10th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

http://www.easternsailplane.com/cata...ater.html(they advertise
Smiley Bags for $360 a pair for DG-300's)
andhttp://www.clipper.com.au/(they can make bags if I give them
drawings...).

Any others?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric

Buy the Smiley and be done.

Darryl
Old June 10th 09, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CoggFly

Are they the bags that look like a shower curtain wrapped in a black
material? that is what was in my DG and I attempted to repair with a
polychloroprene adhesive(what they use on inflatable rafts and such)
and it works well. I do however, now have smiley bags... Save
yourself the headache and get them is my advise.
Old June 10th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Itsaplane[_2_]

On Jun 9, 10:10*pm, CoggFly wrote:
Are they the bags that look like a shower curtain wrapped in a black
material? *that is what was in my DG and I attempted to repair with a
polychloroprene adhesive(what they use on inflatable rafts and such)
and it works well. *I do however, now have smiley bags... *Save
yourself the headache and get them is my advise.

Darryl, CoggFly,

Thanks for your comments. Today I called Eastern Sailplane, the
manufacturer and retailer of Smiley Bags... Smiley Bags is no more --
he quit offerring these because his vendor prices got too high (he
says).

So, I'm left with the Austrailian company (looking into it) AND seeing
if I can patch this bag up.

Eric
Old June 11th 09, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jun 10, 1:01*pm, Itsaplane wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:10*pm, CoggFly wrote:

Are they the bags that look like a shower curtain wrapped in a black
material? *that is what was in my DG and I attempted to repair with a
polychloroprene adhesive(what they use on inflatable rafts and such)
and it works well. *I do however, now have smiley bags... *Save
yourself the headache and get them is my advise.

Darryl, CoggFly,

Thanks for your comments. *Today I called Eastern Sailplane, the
manufacturer and retailer of Smiley Bags... *Smiley Bags is no more --
he quit offerring these because his vendor prices got too high (he
says).

So, I'm left with the Austrailian company (looking into it) AND seeing
if I can patch this bag up.

Eric

Eric, I bought LS4 bags from the Australian company. It was a great
deal, fraction of the cost of factory bag, and I didn't have any
issues with them. Didn't need to send drawing as they already had
them, I bet they have for the 300 as well. Contact me if you need more
info.

Ramy
Old June 11th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike martin

On Jun 10, 11:14*pm, Ramy wrote:
[...]

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

Good Morning,
If installing the Australian bags, is there an issue regarding
installing the bags in a FAA standard class sailplane? (LS-3A)
Thanks
Mike Martin

Old June 12th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jun 10, 11:14*pm, Ramy wrote:
[...]

Contact info for Clipper:
I paid around $350 including shipping for a set of LS4a bags.

Ramy
Old June 14th 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Itsaplane[_2_]

On Jun 11, 7:56*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:14*pm, Ramy wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ramy -- I ordered them a couple of days ago. Looks like
they'll ship in a week or so, Air Post!

Water Bags Ramy Soaring 1 November 12th 14 07:22 PM
LS3-A water bags [email protected] Soaring 7 December 24th 07 02:54 PM
Water bags ASM Soaring 0 May 26th 07 08:00 PM
NEED BALLAST BAGS [email protected] Soaring 3 June 12th 06 05:04 AM
ASW-24 water bags Sam Fly Soaring 0 May 27th 05 11:08 PM