A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

Old February 27th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

First thanks to the volunteers who helped with recording,
and thanks to Spence for his work on the first presentation.
Sorry I didn't manage a better job with the audio.
Anyway, the talks a

1) Bail-Out Aftermath — Lessons Learned.

2) OSTIV: Motor-glider Unreliability: Examples, Systemic Problems, and Potential Systemic Improvements

Videos, abstracts, and slides are linked on my web site:
http://www.nadler.com/public/NadlerSoaringIndex.html

Enjoy,
Best Regards, Dave "YO"
Old February 27th 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Thanks, Dave.

I was hoping you'd be able to post videos for those of us that missed the presentations.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old February 27th 20, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Thank you for sharing. This was on my short list but there were so many good ones that I couldn't get to them all.
Old February 27th 20, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Shaun Wheeler wrote on 2/26/2020 6:56 PM:
Thank you for sharing. This was on my short list but there were so many good ones that I couldn't get to them all.

Dave's motorglider talk was good, but the Arcus bailout was really good. It
confirmed what I've observed over decades of soaring: if you can get out of the
glider, the parachute will work and you will survive, often without injury.
Half-humorously, if you fly a two-seater, be sure the passenger is young, strong,
and highly trained (worked for Dave)!

Old February 27th 20, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 8:04:56 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
...the parachute will work and you will survive, often without injury.

"without injury" would have been nice.
The ground training I got (from Parachute Shop, Nashua NH)
made all the difference.

If you haven't already done so:
Get proper ground training from your nearest jump school,
covering how to do an emergency jump and landing.
Old February 27th 20, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 8:04:56 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
...the parachute will work and you will survive, often without injury.

"without injury" would have been nice.
The ground training I got (from Parachute Shop, Nashua NH)
made all the difference.

If you haven't already done so:
Get proper ground training from your nearest jump school,
covering how to do an emergency jump and landing.

Thanks Dave for the very informative presentations.
One take away is that static line will save more lives. I know of at least one recent case of a pilot who managed to bail out but did not deploy on time. Dave was one second or so from deployment to hitting the ground, you can do the math of how much time he was from hitting the ground before deployment, 0.1 second?
I never seen someone using static line in the US. I wonder why. How common is it in the rest of the world, and what procedures are used to ensure you don't deploy accidentally after landing, especially those of us who are not used to static line.

Ramy
Old February 28th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 5:08:31 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
"without injury" would have been nice.
The ground training I got (from Parachute Shop, Nashua NH)
made all the difference.

If you haven't already done so:
Get proper ground training from your nearest jump school,
covering how to do an emergency jump and landing.

Thanks Dave for the very informative presentations.

Hope it was helpful.

One take away is that static line will save more lives.
I know of at least one recent case of a pilot who managed to bail out but
did not deploy on time.

There have certainly been a few; I don't have stats.

Dave was one second or so from deployment to hitting the ground

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I was 1 second from impact when I got chute open.
I had between 7-15 seconds under canopy before impact, just enough to
grab toggles, turn into wind, and aim for the 'safer' spot I hit.

How common is it (static line) in the rest of the world...

Um, that's why all our gliders have the orange ring next to shoulder...

Most important: Get proper ground training on chute use!
Old February 28th 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Dave, I am definitely going to go out to the skydiving place and do that. I wonder if you would indulge a question or two? After the rudder pedal slammed back at some point you applied control inputs with the stick, opposite aileron I think? Was there any back pressure on the stick at all?
Old February 28th 20, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 7:31:26 PM UTC-5, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
Dave, I am definitely going to go out to the skydiving place and do that. I wonder if you would indulge a question or two? After the rudder pedal slammed back at some point you applied control inputs with the stick, opposite aileron I think? Was there any back pressure on the stick at all?

The stick felt kinda limp.
Could have been adrenaline made it feel that way, just don't know.
Old February 28th 20, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Turkey Vulture

Dave,
Thank you for the fantastic presentation. We have all been eager to hear about the specifics of the accident from the PIC. It is a sobering reminder that we all need to hear again and again and again about preparedness.

Do you feel surviving egress from a non-functional glider at the top of a more typical climb like 4,000-6,000 ft with the same scenario would have been possible?