Moller Skycar

Old April 7th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Nunya[_2_]

Default Moller Skycar

Is it just me or is anybody else sick of seeing the Moller Skycar on
magazine covers and on TV shows with exuberent hosts giggling in the front
seat? How does he get so much good PR with such miserable results to show
for so many millions spent? I just don't get it...
-Tom in Colorado

Old April 7th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ULWA

Is it just me... or is anyone else sick of when ever Moller advertises
something or gets a new spot, someone here
has to bring it to light ?

Dont worry... we still luv ya Tom. G

"Nunya" Tom wrote

Old April 7th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:14:16 -0600, "Nunya" wrote:

Is it just me or is anybody else sick of seeing the Moller Skycar on
magazine covers and on TV shows with exuberent hosts giggling in the front
seat? How does he get so much good PR with such miserable results to show
for so many millions spent? I just don't get it...
-Tom in Colorado

I think it's largely a cross-promotion thing. I was flabbergasted to
see the Mythbusters do it. Sure, I know they're not exactly
scientists, but they seem mostly practical-minded, and I didn't expect
they'd be willing to trash their credibility over something that's
obviously little more than hucksterism. I'm guessing that they were
well aware of the controversy, but happy to play along in the hope of
increased ratings.

One can see a parallel with the press and dowsing. For example, I
recently watched a Survivorman special about off-grid living. Somewhat
naive overall, but entertaining nonetheless. Unfortunately it featured
a dowser, literally white-knuckled from holding back a forked stick
against the "magnetism" of underground water. The host got right into
it, and wouldn't you know it, he too could barely contain the force of
the stick. He gushed that dowsing "worked", even though the results
seemed unsuccessful, and his thinking laughably illogical. Meanwhile,
he frequently commented about not being able to afford to do things
the way he'd have preferred, such as drilling a proper well, a $10,000
expense in his case. The irony is that there's a standing offer of a
million bucks for anybody who can pass a simple test of their dowsing
ability. http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/ If the dowser truly
believes what he professed on-camera, then why isn't he off enjoying
his free million instead of earning peanuts by marching around with a
stick? And if the host believes that he too can dowse water, then why
isn't he filming a show where he grabs the million? Particularly since
he must well know that a demonstration of the paranormal would be a
much bigger draw than off-grid living. Anyway, it's easy to imagine
that the allure of wealth and fame encourages TV personalities to
promote a more interesting reality snorf, but what drives the
thousands of viewers who get sucked in for free? :-)

Since we're on the topic, anyone who enjoys watching scams play out
should read up on the ongoing Suncube saga. Start here
http://seekingalpha.com/article/6908...lags-at-emcore. One would
think that a principal who has a history with a failed perpetual
motion device http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMOT might have had
credibility problems from day one, but nooooo! :-)

Wayne
Old April 8th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Nunya[_2_]

Well shedding light into the murky darkness is usually a good thing, no?
The only thing I can figure is that after people spend hours in traffic, a
skycar that promises relief from that crawl sounds appealing. Imagine if
people really had skycars? There would be a whole new round of problems to
be legislated: No taking off from roads. No landing on roads. No flying
under bridges or overpasses, new speed limits for the air lanes above roads,
and new term for skycar crashes: skysplats.
-Tom
--
-Tom
. ..

Old April 8th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Nunya[_3_]

How is it that a guy like moller can get millions to develop a skycar, but
then resorts to using 8 go-cart engines for power? That sounds like an
engine I would have to resort to using on my homebuilt pipedream, not the
first choice for a 25 million dollar investment. For that kind of money you
could build an entire engine factory devoted to skycar engines, no? I guess
I know the answers to these questions, I was just hoping to find someone to
agree with me.
-Tom

Old April 8th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Apr 7, 8:46*pm, "Nunya" wrote:
Well shedding light into the murky darkness is usually a good thing, no?
The only thing I can figure is that after people spend hours in traffic, a
skycar that promises relief from that crawl sounds appealing. *Imagine if
people really had skycars? *There would be a whole new round of problems to
be legislated: No taking off from *roads. *No landing on roads. *No flying
under bridges or overpasses, new speed limits for the air lanes above roads,
and new term for skycar crashes: skysplats.
-Tom
--
-Tom"ULWA" wrote in message

. ..

Is it just me... or is anyone else sick of when ever Moller advertises
something or gets a new spot, someone here
has to bring it to light ?

Dont worry... we still luv ya Tom. G

"Nunya" * Tom wrote
Is it just me or is anybody else sick of seeing the Moller Skycar on
magazine covers and on TV shows with exuberent hosts giggling in the
front seat? *How does he get so much good PR with such miserable results
to show for so many millions spent? *I just don't get it...
-Tom in Colorado

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Then there is the totally overlooked item. Putting even half of the
current traffic into 'skycars' would only move the traffic jams into
the sky with no overall improvement. Also the problem of average joe
and his inability to even control a car properly.

Harry K
Old April 8th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

The only thing I can figure is that after people spend hours in traffic, a
skycar that promises relief from that crawl sounds appealing. *

As an infamous Louisiana politician once said, "son, you don't get
elected by paving roads, you get elected by PROMISING to pave roads."

Moller's "success" can be directly attributed to the desire of most
people (Americans at least) to want to feel superior to thier fellow
man. And what better way than to have a flying car, while neighobr
Jones over there is still grounded in Atlanta traffic. Its the same
thing that causes idiots to pass me on the right while driving down a
2-lane county road in the middle of Bumblescrew, Colorado. "Where ya
goin' in such a damn hurry, jackass? Just in front of 'ur truck."

A few moons ago, someone one this group proposed that for far less
money than a "skycar", one could purchase a C-47 and a Mini Cooper.
Build a set of Jeep ramps, drive in, and strap down. Guess what? I
just invented the flying car! Might work even better with something
like a Shorts Skyvan or a C-123.

The truly ironic thing is that Moller didn't even invent the name.
That credit goes to John Pitts. Yes, the original "skycar" was that
giant jumping-jack-picnic-umbrella contraption that we've all seen on
the Hitler Channel once or twice bouncing around. Funny as hell. But
then so is Moller.

Harry "all of my stuff flies" Frey
Old April 9th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:52:40 -0600, "Nunya"
highflyerathoverbaticsdotcom wrote:

How is it that a guy like moller can get millions to develop a skycar, but
then resorts to using 8 go-cart engines for power? That sounds like an
engine I would have to resort to using on my homebuilt pipedream, not the
first choice for a 25 million dollar investment. For that kind of money you
could build an entire engine factory devoted to skycar engines, no?

Perhaps, but don't forget how much it costs for Moller to while away
his days giving interviews.

I guess
I know the answers to these questions, I was just hoping to find someone to
agree with me.

By now Moller's M.O. is pretty obvious: one delay after another,
decade after decade. Here's a sample of what the next
just-a-little-bit-longer press release might look like.

*********
Great news about Skycar's progress! Moller International is today
announcing to its investors and daydreamers that exhaustive testing of
our amazing rotary powerplants has proven that they are not quite yet
up to our high standards. You all agree with high standards, right?
Good, we thought so. Therefore our next step will be to start our
engine... development program all over again, an intensive process
that will include many press releases and interviews.
PS Rome wasn't built in a day, and we're checking to see if took
less time than building the Skycar.
PPS To those who claim that we never have product to sell, keep in
mind that we have lots of hats and mugs ready for shipment.
************

Wayne

Old April 9th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Ernest Christley wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Then there is the totally overlooked item. Putting even half of the
current traffic into 'skycars' would only move the traffic jams into
the sky with no overall improvement. Also the problem of average joe
and his inability to even control a car properly.

Harry K

The most obvious problem is where to take off in your new skycar. Last
time I camped at Sun'n'Fun, I got my tent destroyed because some jackass
didn't want to pull his plane out into the lane. Just cranked it up and
drove it out. What will the neighbors and homeowner's association say
when you start blowing shingles off roof and destroying shrubbery.

These things will cause more histeria than boats, RV and satellite
dishes put together.

No, they won't.

Because it's never going to happen...
Old April 22nd 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Nafe

In article
,
wright1902glider wrote:

Shorts Skyvan

Those things are so ugly they don't actually fly, the Earth just pushes
them away by shear force of will...