No NYC Fleet Week TFR?

Old May 25th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default No NYC Fleet Week TFR?

So I'm sitting in my office with a great view of downtown Manhattan
watching the Blue Angels make what seems to be the last of five fly-bys
up and down the East and Hudson Rivers (complete with a C-130 photo
plane--door open of course and Fat Albert in trail). All this is for
Fleet Week activities. I curiously go to the FAA TFR website to read
what the TFR says and there's not a TFR to be found in the area. I
figured there would be at least one for the Hudson River corridor VFR
route since they seem to be at the ~1,000 ft MSL level which is the VFR
altitude.

Since there is no flight plan required to fly the corridor, I shudder
to think about what events may transpire if I were to take the "scenic
route" today. Anyone in the area try to fly the Hudson Corridor today
or yesterday (May 24th)? Ahh, there's pass # 6 right over the Statue
of Liberty.

On a side note, saw the V-22 Osprey do a fly by while I was watching
practically underneath its flightpath. That thing is quieter than a
Cessna 150!

Marco "accidental airshow patron" Leon

Old May 25th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I saw them too from my Manhattan apartment, and the exact same thought
crossed my mind... What if I were up there giving someone an aerial tour of
Hudson (which I do quite often).

-- CD

oups.com...

Old May 25th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

City Dweller wrote:
I saw them too from my Manhattan apartment, and the exact same thought
crossed my mind... What if I were up there giving someone an aerial tour of
Hudson (which I do quite often).

-- CD

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

What altitude do you estimate they were at? If they are in class B then
the controllers should have things under control. If they are in the
corridor then it's see and avoid
Old May 25th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

These guys were definitely at 1,000 feet or below. Ususally TRACON or
the Newark Tower handles the traffic at 1,500/1,600+. I'm comparing
this to the normal spam-can traffic I see over the Hudson. I also saw
normal helo traffic from the 34th street heliport but no civilian
fixed-wing at all. ATC must be telling these guys *something*.

Marco

Old May 25th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Slightly off-topic, but my brother is participating in Fleet Week and they
were told to expect some anti-war protestors.

Being a Portlander ("little Beirut"), I gotta think: It's one thing to
block traffic, chant stuff like "Hey, Hey, My My, GI Joe is gonna die," burn
flags, harrass the police and all the stuff they did here in Portland and
Seattle, but...

....what's gonna happen whem some smacktard pulls that in front of a
battalion of recently-returned Marine combat vets?

Damn, I should have bought a plane ticket to see that!

-c

Old May 30th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I didn't see one protester while in NYC but I was not there during the
holiday weekend. You can bet that if there *was* a protest, the "media"
would be covering it even if there were 5 people participating. They
gotta keep that perception going that most of America is against
whatever action our government undertakes.

Marco

Old June 1st 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I planned a flight that weekend and saw all kinds of TFRs for the show. I
used Duat.com and Duats.com and the AOPA flight planner ( all had the TFRs).
I didn't check the AOPA TFR page though.

ups.com...

Old June 1st 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

soxinbox wrote:
I planned a flight that weekend and saw all kinds of TFRs for the show. I
used Duat.com and Duats.com and the AOPA flight planner ( all had the TFRs).
I didn't check the AOPA TFR page though.

There was a VIP TFR for West Point on Saturday morning, a "Yankees" TFR,
and another for something at Giants stadium.

I didn't remember seeing anything for the fighters.
Old June 1st 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I had my instrument test that weekend, so I actually have the printouts in
my flight bag, I will try to dig them up. I remember seeing the name of the
flight group,( was it blue angles?) in the TFR. I am not sure were the TFR
was centered.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.com...