A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

iGlide

Old August 2nd 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

I just recently downloaded the "lite" version to play around with, and so far it is OK. However, I'm curious if some of the features I would like in it are just things that are in the higher level version like the "advanced" or "pro" version. For instance, when I look at the flight log, it doesn't seem to give the altitudes for the flight. This is something that I would expect could be determined by GPS even if it is not paired with an altimeter in the glider, but the log file doesn't seem to include this. The flight seems to start logging automatically, which is nice. I do not seems to see any indication of air space classification on the map, and there does not seem to be any ability to plot out a task or course. Are these features of the more advanced versions, or is there a way to see these options on the "lite" version? Thanks.
Old August 2nd 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 10:15:25 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
I just recently downloaded the "lite" version to play around with, and so far it is OK. However, I'm curious if some of the features I would like in it are just things that are in the higher level version like the "advanced" or "pro" version. For instance, when I look at the flight log, it doesn't seem to give the altitudes for the flight. This is something that I would expect could be determined by GPS even if it is not paired with an altimeter in the glider, but the log file doesn't seem to include this. The flight seems to start logging automatically, which is nice. I do not seems to see any indication of air space classification on the map, and there does not seem to be any ability to plot out a task or course. Are these features of the more advanced versions, or is there a way to see these options on the "lite" version? Thanks.

I have never looked at the log file, so can't answer about the altitude. I have the Pro version, and since I can replay a flight (including altitude) it must be included. If you have an iPhone with a barometric sensor (6 and later?) you will get both barometric and GPS altitudes.

I'm also not sure what level gives you airspace, but the advanced and pro have it. You must load an airspace file from MenuSettingsData UpdatesAeronautical Data, then enable the area you are in MenuSettingsAeronautical Data and pick your area. All SUA will be shown, touching the area will bring up details about it. How close you come will be shown on the glide profile, configurable as a navbox.

Routes (other than a single Go To waypoint) are and Advanced or Pro feature and one of the best features of the program. If you are racing, the Pro allows flexibility on how lines and turnpoints are drawn and scored.

It greatly pains me that Air Avionics will not offer a free version, with all features, enabled for the simulator only. I believe that would increase the adoption rate as you can try before you buy - almost every other program you have the opportunity to do this.
Old August 3rd 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Not sure about the altitude in a replayed flight, but uploading to OLC is really easy and you take your igc file anywhere from there. I do believe the airspace works in the basic version. The documentation isn’t great, but if you poke around a bit you’ll see how to do it. You will need to download the turnpoint file for your area from the turn point exchange.
Old August 3rd 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Not sure about the altitude in a replayed flight, but uploading to OLC is really easy and you take your igc file anywhere from there. I do believe the airspace works in the basic version. The documentation isn’t great, but if you poke around a bit you’ll see how to do it. You will need to download the turnpoint file for your area from the turn point exchange.
Old August 3rd 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Go into settings, then airspace. Select USA. That should do it.
Old August 3rd 18, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

How do you upload your flight log files to OLC?
Old August 3rd 18, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MMOORE
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Another one to look at, cheaply, is http://flyskyhy.com/index.html with the XC add on
Old August 4th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Menu, flights and logbook, logbook, select your flight, there will be an upload to OLC button near the top, if you are connected to WiFi.

Before doing this the first time you have to tell iGlide your old info. Menu, settings, defaults, OLC user....

Old August 7th 18, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 5:29:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Menu, flights and logbook, logbook, select your flight, there will be an upload to OLC button near the top, if you are connected to WiFi.

Before doing this the first time you have to tell iGlide your old info. Menu, settings, defaults, OLC user....

In the "Lite" version, I don't see the option for "Defaults" in the Settings menu.
Old August 7th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CWJr
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

I have Lite as well. No OLC upload capability on the Logbook - flight page.

I have a GPS Altitude Nav Box on my display, and when I play back a flight, it displays altitude during the flight playback.