KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference?

Old April 1st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference?

What's the difference between the KY 197 and the current KY 97?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old April 1st 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

KY97A 5Watt LCD
KY197A 10Watt LED

Old April 1st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Roger wrote:
What's the difference between the KY 197 and the current KY 97?

100.
Old April 1st 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 12:19:17 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

Roger wrote:
What's the difference between the KY 197 and the current KY 97?

100.

Actually it's a bit over $1000 or there abouts.
The difference between 5W and 10 Watts should be almost insignificant
(IE 3 db) in use.

Actually all I need is to fix the orange/yellow plastic window over
the display. Some where in the past (before I purchased the Deb) I'd
guess some one used the wrong stuff to try and clean the window.
Combined with age that has rendered the plastic window almost opaque.
I wonder if the stuff they use to fix scratched plastic glasses would
work on that? Trying would certainly be cheaper than purchasing
another radio or even front panel. The KY197s are going for as much
on E-bay (yellow tagged) as a new KY97.
Old April 2nd 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Roger wrote:
What's the difference between the KY 197 and the current KY 97?

100.

Actually it's a bit over $1000 or there abouts.
The difference between 5W and 10 Watts should be almost insignificant
(IE 3 db) in use.

Why would having twice as much power not be significant?

Matt
Old April 2nd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

The difference between 5W and 10 Watts should be almost insignificant
(IE 3 db) in use.

Why would having twice as much power not be significant?

at low altitudes, wouldn't line-of-sight be more significant?

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Old April 2nd 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Roger wrote:
What's the difference between the KY 197 and the current KY 97?
100.

Actually it's a bit over $1000 or there abouts.
The difference between 5W and 10 Watts should be almost insignificant
(IE 3 db) in use.

Why would having twice as much power not be significant?

You'd think so, but 3 db isn't much and would be barely noticable up
to the service ceiling that we can fly unpressurized. 5W would
provided a good signal all the way to the horizon.

Matt

Old April 2nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Theoretical range of a 5 watt transmitter and 1 microvolt receiver using
quarter-wave whip antennas on both ends of the link is about 3000 miles. 10
watt range is about 4300 miles.

Radio horizon (the point past at which VHF isn't going to be heard) at
20,000 MSL over perfectly flat ocean is about 280 miles. 5 watts and 10
watts will be heard roughly identical at horizon.

Jim

Old April 2nd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

Jim,

I was going to ask where we'd find that "perfectly flat" ocean, but thought
better of it. g

Jon

Old April 2nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Apr 1, 11:17 am, "karl gruber" wrote:
KY97A 5Watt LCD
KY197A 10Watt LED

I was once told that the KY97A is actually an ICOM IC-A200 that is
OEM'ed for King with a different faceplate and knobs but the exact
same innards. Is this true? Those two radios sure look a lot alike.

The KY197A is one of their "Silver Crown" series radios and supposedly
a totally different design inside.

Clear and Amber window for KY197 Roger Owning 5 June 11th 06 10:56 PM
Clear and Amber window for KY197 Roger Home Built 5 June 11th 06 10:56 PM
What is the difference between... expresstechonsite Home Built 7 June 5th 06 03:00 PM
what a difference! Chris Piloting 3 January 12th 06 11:52 PM
Anyone know the weight difference? Lou Home Built 4 January 5th 06 09:33 PM