KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference?

Old April 2nd 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference?

Compared to a 20k' airplane, even a tsunami would be flat to a first
approximation.

Jim

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
news
Jim,

I was going to ask where we'd find that "perfectly flat" ocean, but
thought better of it. g

Jon

Old April 2nd 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

I was once told that the KY97A is actually an ICOM IC-A200 that is
OEM'ed for King with a different faceplate and knobs but the exact
same innards. Is this true? Those two radios sure look a lot alike.

That's a fact

Old April 2nd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

No wasn't it those garmmin early gps coms were 6 watts and people had
range problems. Now they are 10 or 12 watts.

Old April 3rd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Roger wrote:

Actually all I need is to fix the orange/yellow plastic window over
the display. Some where in the past (before I purchased the Deb) I'd
guess some one used the wrong stuff to try and clean the window.
Combined with age that has rendered the plastic window almost opaque.
I wonder if the stuff they use to fix scratched plastic glasses would
work on that? Trying would certainly be cheaper than purchasing
another radio or even front panel. The KY197s are going for as much
on E-bay (yellow tagged) as a new KY97.

If the plastic window is all that is wrong with it, you're a lucky man.
Most old KY-97s have a problem with the LCD display going wacky (particularly
when the unit is cold). You have to push on the face of the radio to make it
read correctly. This is such a common problem that I'd shy away from a used
KY-97, unless I could verify that it was still fairly young.

If it's just the window plastic, you could just undo the two screws on each
side of the radio that hold the faceplate on. The plastic piece will fall
right out. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that'll work in there
(or maybe leave it out altogether).

Since my display went crazy, I decided to go with an ICOM IC-A200 as a
slide-in replacement. Pacific Coast Avionics was selling them for $800. Not
bad when you consider the price of a new KY-97A.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 3rd 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

KY97A 5Watt LCD
KY197A 10Watt LED

Will they both fit the same tray?
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old April 4th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Roger wrote:
KY97A 5Watt LCD
KY197A 10Watt LED

Will they both fit the same tray?
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Yes. My tray is marked both KY-97A and KY-197A.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 12th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 00:42:56 GMT, "JGalban via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote:

Roger wrote:
KY97A 5Watt LCD
KY197A 10Watt LED

Will they both fit the same tray?
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Yes. My tray is marked both KY-97A and KY-197A.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thanks,
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Clear and Amber window for KY197 Roger Owning 5 June 11th 06 10:56 PM
Clear and Amber window for KY197 Roger Home Built 5 June 11th 06 10:56 PM
What is the difference between... expresstechonsite Home Built 7 June 5th 06 03:00 PM
what a difference! Chris Piloting 3 January 12th 06 11:52 PM
Anyone know the weight difference? Lou Home Built 4 January 5th 06 09:33 PM