What's Going on Here?

Old April 3rd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default What's Going on Here?

In 2004 we experienced our #2 cylinder dropping off-line on take-off
from Titusville, FL, resulting in a quick return for landing. No
amount of high RPM leaning would clear it, so we de-cowled the engine,
took all 12 spark plugs out, cleaned them, put them back in, and all
was well.

Conditions leading up to this problem were unusual. It had rained for
several days, hard, and Atlas was parked outside. Since we didn't
really find any spark plug fouling that looked bad enough to cause
this problem -- yet it went away after cleaning the plugs -- I've
often wondered if it didn't have something to do with all that unusual
moisture in the air. In the end, we blamed it on running high-lead
avgas, and the long taxi due to a presidential TFR.

Fast forward three years. Today we were going to zip down to nearby
Muscatine for an after-work dinner flight. It has rained here for
several days in a row, hard. The plane was actually wet, inside the
hangar, mostly from water that had condensed on the cold metal
ceiling, and then fell on the plane.

Mary started the plane, and I could immediately tell that it was
running a bit rougher than usual. I couldn't put my finger on it, and
Mary didn't notice it after we started taxiing, but I knew it was
there.

When she got to the hold short line, it failed the run-up. The right
mag showed a drop of 200 RPM, and (according to the JPI engine
analyzer) the #2 cylinder was dropping off-line on the right mag. The
left mag was normal.

No amount of high RPM leaning would clear it, so back to the hangar we
went. Pulled the cowling, and the #2 cylinder spark plugs. No
fouling was noted, but I cleaned the plugs anyway, and reinstalled
them. I also probed the wiring, wiggling and checking for loose
connections. None were noted.

After reassembly, everything ran normally, and passed the mag checks.
I took Atlas around the patch, and all was well. WTF?

Some thoughts:

1. Since 2004 we have switched to the high-dollar Iridium plugs. As
stated, no fouling was noted, so I don't think the plugs are to blame.

2. Is it possible that the #2 cylinder spark plug wires are shorting
internally due to all the moisture in the air? Has anyone ever heard
of this happening?

3. Is it more likely that the mag itself would be affected by the
moisture? Has anyone ever heard of this?

The fact that this happened three years apart, in very similar weather
conditions, on the same cylinder, has me deeply suspicious. I'm
thinking that maybe de-cowling the plane and letting it sit in the
breeze (thereby drying out whatever moisture may be shorting the #2
cylinder's right-mag plug) actually helped to solve the problem more
than anything I actively accomplished by pulling the plugs.

Any ideas here, folks? What could cause this, and what's the fix?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 3rd 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

I'm just guessing here... but I would look at and replace the spark plug
wire.. moisture could be getting in somewhere and condensing.. causing it to
short out and not fire the spark..

I once had an old 74 AMC Matador Coupe.. I always kept a new distributor cap
in the car, on wet new England days.. it would short out.. and when I looked
inside there would be a carbon trace between two posts.. it would crack from
the moisture... no power.. if it would run at all... put on the new
distributor cap and be on my way.. picked up another new on at the NAPA
store the next day

BT

oups.com...

Old April 3rd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Back when I was in high school, I had an old Ford and worked at the
drive-in theater.

I carried a box of flares in the trunk to dry out the ignition system
on late, foggy nights so I could get home.

I would suspect minute cracks in the harness and condensation shorting
things out before the mags which are sealed a lot better than old
Ford distributor caps (which I also had to dry out).

I think I would get a spray bottle of water and on a dry day, spritze
the harness and see if it causes a problem.

If it does, replace the harness.

If it doesn't, spritze the mag and take appropriate action, but I would
bet on the harness having cracks somewhere near where it passes by the
airframe ground.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 3rd 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

The "WD" in "WD040" stands for "water displacement."

You're probably carrying around a can anyway. Next time, spray it on
the harness.

Don
Old April 3rd 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[...]

I take a look at the inside of the "cigarettes" that go into the plugs.
They have a tendency to accumulate carbon and oil and then short out.

A Q-tip and lacquer thinner will clean them up nicely.
Old April 3rd 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
2. Is it possible that the #2 cylinder spark plug wires are shorting
internally due to all the moisture in the air? Has anyone ever heard
of this happening?

I don't know about shorting internally, but shorting to ground is
possible. I'll add my vote to the list of votes for a bad spark plug
wire.

In a car, if a bad plug wire is bad enough, sometimes you can _see_ it
if you run the engine in the dark. You can see the sparks jumping from
the plug wire to ground. Doing this on an airplane - with a prop
whirring two feet away - might be interesting, though.

I was once able to manually detect a bad plug wire. A guy had an old
Ford Mustang and he thought it wasn't making full power. I started to
do a cylinder balance test on it - pull one spark plug wire at a time
and see how much the RPM drops, like a mag check but one cylinder at a
time. The first few wires produced a good drop, but I didn't complete
the check... the third or fourth one I tried zapped me as soon as I
grabbed the boot to pull it off of the plug. I discontinued testing
and advised him to get new plug wires. The moral is that if you feel
the need to diddle the plug wires with the engine running, get a good
insulated poking stick and maybe wear rubber gloves.

Look closely at the plug wire, especially where it goes under a clamp
or zip-tie or through a panel. If you can, loosen up the clamp or
zip-tie and pull the wire back a bit so you can see the part that was
under the clamp. Look for carbon marks on the wire or on any nearby
metal. Try bending the wire (not too sharply) at any suspect places
to check for cracks in the insulation.

Matt Roberds

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with ground vehicles. I don't
have an A&P; I don't even have a TG&Y. Some of this may not be
allowable owner maintenance. Your mileage may vary.

Old April 3rd 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

Left mag was normal would lead me to believe that your P lead is probably
ok.

Sure sounds like a moisture problem to me.

Right mag should fire the lower plug on the #2 cylinder. This would be one
of the longest plug wires, trace the harness back to the mag, check that the
harness standoff/adel clamps haven't vibrated through the insulation of the
wire to a point where a drop of moisture could ground the wire through the
clamp. Check any places where the harness may rub against baffles, cylinder
fins, ect. Check the wire where it enters the plug terminal. It may be
chaffed if the wire was tensioned against the terminal "nut". Use 2
wrenches when tightening the plug terminals, one to hold the terminal in a
position where no tension is placed on the wire, the second to tighten the
hold down nut.

As others have said, check the cigarettes for cracks, excess carbon, clean
them with MEK. Check the contact terminal "spring" to make sure it's
attached well and is long enough to insure proper contact with the plug.

Additional info from Sac Sky Ranch: http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng37.htm

Jim

Old April 3rd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I take a look at the inside of the "cigarettes" that go into the plugs.
They have a tendency to accumulate carbon and oil and then short out.

A Q-tip and lacquer thinner will clean them up nicely.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Orval. I checked them, and they looked fine to me when I
pulled the plugs.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 3rd 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

I agree it is probably a lead, but also as a temporary "fix" make sure
the plug gap on that cylinder (or all cylinders for that matter) is
near the recommended minimum to reduce the electrical stress on the
lead's insulation system.

Old April 4th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John_F

When the engine warms up and sits during plug cleaning the engine heat
drys out the water in the magneto and/or the plug wire. Result is the
problem is gone. I would test the spark plug with a pressure test to
make sure it is not internally cracked and will fire under pressure
and I would also high voltage test the plug wire or just replace that
wire. Also inspect the distrubitor in the mag for carbon tracks.