Where is approach good about multiple approaches and clearances in the air?

Old February 11th 04, 04:45 AM
Andrew Gideon

Default Where is approach good about multiple approaches and clearances in the air?

I'm no freight dog or corporate pilot with dozens of approaches to minimums
each day. For me, as with many GA pilots I expect, maintaining *real*
currency involves explicit practice.

That's fine; I enjoy it. But I'd like to try some new places.

The issue is that I'd like to try some new places that are friendly about
multiple approaches. For example, at both ABE and STW I've almost never
had a problem terminating an approach in a T&G or low approach and heading
out immediately for another (or picking up a clearance for the next leg).
I've tried TTN, but they always insist upon my landing and picking up my
next clearance on the ground.

It took several tries at TTN before I got the message, but in it eventually
sankgrin.

So what airports are more like ABE and STW, where approach is willing to
provide a clearance in the air and permit multiple approaches? Of course,
I'm interested in the area around my "home airport" (CDW in Northern NJ),
but I expect that others are interested in the same thing elsewhere.

Thanks...
- Andrew

Old February 11th 04, 01:28 PM
Dave Butler

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I'm no freight dog or corporate pilot with dozens of approaches to minimums
each day. For me, as with many GA pilots I expect, maintaining *real*
currency involves explicit practice.

That's fine; I enjoy it. But I'd like to try some new places.

The issue is that I'd like to try some new places that are friendly about
multiple approaches. For example, at both ABE and STW I've almost never
had a problem terminating an approach in a T&G or low approach and heading
out immediately for another (or picking up a clearance for the next leg).
I've tried TTN, but they always insist upon my landing and picking up my
next clearance on the ground.

It sounds like you are doing your practicing under IFR. That's probably a good
idea from the POV of working within the system and practicing procedures with a
real controller. I don't feel the need to do that.

I do all my practicing under VFR, unless weather dictates otherwise. Controllers
here (Raleigh, NC) are usually happy to accomodate requests for VFR practice
approaches. Sometimes they get too busy for that, so I terminate radar
advisories and do full procedures (no vectors). I usually do my approaches at
nearby non-towered fields that are under the Raleigh TRACON jurisdiction,
followed by an approach to a full stop at RDU, where I'm based.

But, answering your original question, the Raleigh TRACON is usually a little
more accommodating than Center. We also have some military controllers nearby
(Seymour Johnson) that own some of the approaches and they're usually willing to
accommodate practice approaches.

Old February 11th 04, 01:44 PM

Andrew,

Besides ABE and STW I've also used AVP for practice. About 5 miles further
than ABE but still close enough and usually very accomodating. In fact, to
build x-country time I like to go N07-AVP-ABE-N07. For a slightly longer
hop you can try RDG.

cheers,
mark

online.com...

Old February 11th 04, 02:48 PM
Peter R.

Andrew Gideon ) wrote:

So what airports are more like ABE and STW, where approach is
willing to provide a clearance in the air and permit multiple approaches?

Fly on up to Binghamton or Elmira, located in southern central NY state.
Both ATC groups sincerely appreciate the work and will tell you so on the
frequency. I often fly down to their airspace from Syracuse, NY, to
practice approaches because of the fact.

If you go, go IFR since I was told that IFR numbers count towards their
airport activity and help justify their jobs. One of this newsgroups
controllers will correct me if I am wrong, but in the meantime I like to
think I am helping these good folks out, even if it is a mere drop in the
bucket.

--
Peter R.

Old February 11th 04, 06:36 PM
Henry A. Spellman

I practice approaches at SPI, Springfield, IL. It is a training
facility for new controllers. After virtually all sessions, after I ask
for clearance back home, the controller will thank me for doing the
approaches with them that day.

Also, at the start of each session, I offer to do a radar surveillance
approach if any of the controllers need one for currency. They are
usually happy to hear that since often times the offer is accepted.

Hank
Henry A. Spellman
Comanche N5903P

Old February 11th 04, 08:10 PM
Newps

Henry A. Spellman wrote:
I practice approaches at SPI, Springfield, IL. It is a training
facility for new controllers.

No such thing. All facilities are training facilities because all
facilities get new controllers from time to time.

After virtually all sessions, after I ask
for clearance back home, the controller will thank me for doing the
approaches with them that day.

I do that too, we all should.

Also, at the start of each session, I offer to do a radar surveillance
approach if any of the controllers need one for currency. They are
usually happy to hear that since often times the offer is accepted.

Not many of those facilities left anymore.

Old February 11th 04, 09:47 PM
Andrew Gideon

Newps wrote:

After virtually all sessions, after I ask
for clearance back home, the controller will thank me for doing the
approaches with them that day.

I do that too, we all should.

I obviously fly in the wrong places; I've never been thank.

- Andrew

Old February 11th 04, 09:56 PM
Andrew Gideon

Dave Butler wrote:

It sounds like you are doing your practicing under IFR. That's probably a
good idea from the POV of working within the system and practicing
procedures with a real controller. I don't feel the need to do that.

Psst...wanna know a secret? I do it because I'm lazy. It's more work if I
have to deal with acquiring Flight Following, at least in my neighborhood.
There's also a fair chance that I'll not be able to speak to anyone while
approaching my "home" airport, which means one less approach.

But I do also like the practice of being in the system.

[...]

Controllers here (Raleigh, NC) are usually happy to accomodate requests
for VFR practice approaches. Sometimes they get too busy for that, so I
terminate radar advisories and do full procedures (no vectors).

I don't know that I'm so comfortable with this idea. Being on an approach
w/o talking to someone because that someone is too busy? What if the
someone is busy because of others on the approach (or perhaps a conflicting
approach)?

I usually
do my approaches at nearby non-towered fields that are under the Raleigh
TRACON jurisdiction, followed by an approach to a full stop at RDU, where
I'm based.

I dislike practicing approaches to nontowered fields VFR. It's not very
good practice, I've found, because I need to behave in a "non-IFR" way
towards the end of the approach to avoid other traffic.

I'll often have to skip the final stepdown entirely, in fact, to stay
sufficiently high that I can join the pattern.

Practicing in controlled airspace lets me behave more realistically, in my
experience.

I'm curious what others think on this, though.

- Andrew

Old February 11th 04, 10:23 PM
Andrew Gideon

Andrew,

Besides ABE and STW I've also used AVP for practice. About 5 miles
further
than ABE but still close enough and usually very accomodating. In fact,
build x-country time I like to go N07-AVP-ABE-N07. For a slightly longer
hop you can try RDG.

Okay; thanks.

That might work out well for me. I wanted to give a call to a shop called
(I think) O&N, which is at an airport very near to AVP. So perhaps instead
I'll make a little trip.

- Andrew

Old February 11th 04, 10:25 PM
Marco Leon

I guess it's a function of how busy they are. I practice approaches in the
Long Island area of NY and I'm usually trying to squeeze my calls inbetween
the flights into JFK or ISP. Almost always accommodating given their traffic
level but I've also never been thanked. As a matter of fact, the pilots in
our area almost always thank the controllers!

Hey Newps, care to share if and/or how the FAA tracks the number of
approaches you work? I'm curious.

Marco