Sustainer/turbo gliders

Old April 4th 15, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Sustainer/turbo gliders

Was hoping to get comments regarding a glider with a sustainer engine. Would you buy another one, are you happy with the sustainer, do you wish you had gotten a motor glider, a pure glider, how do you fly differently, do you actually get more soaring in or less because of the extra weight......

do you use headsets for hearing protection with engine running... engine can achieve a positive rate of climb to what density altitude....? Am considering purchasing a glider with a sustainer and am looking for all information I can get. i am a Western USA pilot, but have flown in many parts of the country.
Old April 4th 15, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll never buy a non sustainer glider again. Show it a little maintenance love (change the plugs periodically) and be sure to run it for 30-60 seconds every flight. You'll want some earplugs but you'll probably only use them if you're tunning it for longer than the 30 second "daily check"

The SH sustem with the multi blade folding prop is a tad nicer since you never have to worry about prop position.
Old April 4th 15, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 1:08:53 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was hoping to get comments regarding a glider with a sustainer engine. Would you buy another one, are you happy with the sustainer, do you wish you had gotten a motor glider, a pure glider, how do you fly differently, do you actually get more soaring in or less because of the extra weight......

do you use headsets for hearing protection with engine running... engine can achieve a positive rate of climb to what density altitude....? Am considering purchasing a glider with a sustainer and am looking for all information I can get. i am a Western USA pilot, but have flown in many parts of the country.

If you are in Western USA be sure your turbo has any climb rate left at the density altitude you operate. For eastern USA Turbo would be great.
Schleicher is working on electric sustainer. That would be your best bet!

If you consider buying a turbo I would consider the Antares from W&W instead. That glider will be able to climb over mountain ranges, which is what you need and it already depreciated.
Old April 4th 15, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

At 05:08 04 April 2015, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was hoping to get comments regarding a glider with a sustainer engine.
Wou=
ld you buy another one, are you happy with the sustainer, do you wish you
h=
ad gotten a motor glider, a pure glider, how do you fly differently, do
yo=
u actually get more soaring in or less because of the extra weight......

do you use headsets for hearing protection with engine running... engine
ca=
n achieve a positive rate of climb to what density altitude....? Am
consid=
ering purchasing a glider with a sustainer and am looking for all
informati=
on I can get. i am a Western USA pilot, but have flown in many parts of
th=
e country.

Bought a Discus Turbo 7/8 years ago. Never regretted it. You do get more
out of it, certainly at a winch only site. No need for ear protection, in
fact if there was someone else with you, you could hold a conversation.
Never failed to start except by pilot error (don't ask). You do have to
make earlier decisions to start the engine, than for a genuine field
landing. We get about 2.5 kts average climb, and I haven't noticed being
left behind in thermals by pure gliders.
Dave

Old April 4th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

At 16:29 04 April 2015, David Salmon wrote:

Bought a Discus Turbo 7/8 years ago. Never regretted it. You do get mor
out of it, certainly at a winch only site. No need for ear protection, i
fact if there was someone else with you, you could hold a conversation
Never failed to start except by pilot error (don't ask). You do have t
make earlier decisions to start the engine, than for a genuine fiel
landing. We get about 2.5 kts average climb, and I haven't noticed bein
left behind in thermals by pure gliders.

Echo Dave's comments. Solo 2350 with 5 blade fan never (never say never)
fails to start readily (apart from finger trouble, again don't ask)
providing you prime the fuel system to get any air out before launching.

Even if you don't need an engine run to climb away after launching, give it
a test run for 30 seconds before setting out into the wild blue yonder (if
you forget that you'll find your sphincter muscles tightening if you get
low later) and occasionally practice a close in circuit with the engine
out/blades extended (when it does come down quickly).

Drill out the exhaust restrictors and put bigger jets in the carbs and
you'll get 3.5 kts with a Discus in still air.
You'll need ear defenders for a longish climb then though.

Old April 4th 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

As with all motorized gliders, plan for the engine not
to start, be delighted if it does, and land stress-free
if it does not. "Plan" means be in the pattern, very
high, with plenty of time to mess with the engine
and land when it does not start.

At the Seniors, three times a motor-glider failed to
air-start and the pilot landed SAFELY in a field.
In all cases the pilot had carefully planned their
pattern prior messing with the engine.

Be safe out there,
Best Regards, Dave

http://www.nadler.com/papers/2014_So...aker_notes.pdf
Old April 4th 15, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 11:08:53 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was hoping to get comments regarding a glider with a sustainer engine. Would you buy another one, are you happy with the sustainer, do you wish you had gotten a motor glider, a pure glider, how do you fly differently, do you actually get more soaring in or less because of the extra weight......

do you use headsets for hearing protection with engine running... engine can achieve a positive rate of climb to what density altitude....? Am considering purchasing a glider with a sustainer and am looking for all information I can get. i am a Western USA pilot, but have flown in many parts of the country.

My choice for sustainer is the FES (Front Electric Sustainer) for the following reasons:

1. It is extremely simple to operate.
2. It is very, very reliable.
3. It is very quiet.
4. It does a fine job at high elevation airports like Moriarty which is at 6,200 feet.
5. The "range" of 60 miles (or so depending on battery charge) is enough to get me back to Moriarty or to another airport.
5. If it were not to start, there is absolutely no additional drag penalty.

I will, most likely, never own another glider without one!
Thanks - Renny

Old April 5th 15, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 3:52:24 PM UTC-7, Renny wrote:
My choice for sustainer is the FES (Front Electric Sustainer) for the following reasons:

1. It is extremely simple to operate.
2. It is very, very reliable.
3. It is very quiet.
4. It does a fine job at high elevation airports like Moriarty which is at 6,200 feet.
5. The "range" of 60 miles (or so depending on battery charge) is enough to get me back to Moriarty or to another airport.
5. If it were not to start, there is absolutely no additional drag penalty.

I will, most likely, never own another glider without one!
Thanks - Renny

I was really impressed with the FES system when I saw it at the SSA Convention a while back. Flip one switch, twist a knob, and you get instant thrust. We're currently developing an FES installation for the HP-24 kit sailplane.

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951
Old April 5th 15, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The LAK-17 FES seems like a great glider and the FES really works nicely according to a friend of mine who owns one. Too bad Transport Canada, for some BS reason, has decided they aren't allowed to fly here.