JSW Glide Calculator

Old November 6th 04, 01:16 PM
snaproll59

Default JSW Glide Calculator

Does anybody have a clue where I could get a "Whiz Wheel" for a
Standard Class (ASW 19)? I can't believe that everybody has absolute
faith in the reliability of their electronic glide computers. Last
week my computer lost its 3-D GPS fix and I was forced to use my
wits...not a very useful tool. I've contacted all the usual suspects
in the US and asked the British Gliding Association for ideas. Whiz
Wheels seemed to have gone the way of my wing-mate the Dodo bird. TIA
Gene
Old November 6th 04, 04:04 PM
Eric Greenwell

snaproll59 wrote:
Does anybody have a clue where I could get a "Whiz Wheel" for a
Standard Class (ASW 19)? I can't believe that everybody has absolute
faith in the reliability of their electronic glide computers. Last
week my computer lost its 3-D GPS fix and I was forced to use my
wits...not a very useful tool. I've contacted all the usual suspects
in the US and asked the British Gliding Association for ideas. Whiz
Wheels seemed to have gone the way of my wing-mate the Dodo bird. TIA

Or, just make yourself a half page of charts for a few wind condtions
and McCready settings. You aren't going to fine-tune a contest finish if
your GPS isn't working, anyway.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 6th 04, 08:03 PM
Derrick Steed

There's an aussie site which has a program which generates them.
http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/resource.htm#prog2
http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/resource.htm#prog2

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Old November 7th 04, 02:38 AM
Bob Gibbons

Depending on how adventurous (and mathematically included) you are,
you might consider generating your own circular calculator. (Stocker
glide computer). Reichmann has a fair description in his classic
Cross-Country Soaring. I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV that went
into some more detail on the construction and added an HP Basic
program to generate the overlays for a given glide polar.

While the HP Basic is long out of date, the principles remain the
same.

You can find the paper and program info on Guenther Eichhorn's Soaring
Server,

http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/SOARING/ssa_programs.html

unde the title Ostiv91.zip, down near the bottom of the page.

Bob

Old November 7th 04, 03:45 AM
Mitch Deutsch

Gene, I have one. Ship has been long sold so I don't need it. (Why I kept
it, I don't know-maybe for nostalgic reasons).

It's yours for the price of mailing. Please contact me directly.

Mitch Deutsch

m...

Old November 7th 04, 04:01 PM
Richard Brisbourne

snaproll59 wrote:

Does anybody have a clue where I could get a "Whiz Wheel" for a
Standard Class (ASW 19)? I can't believe that everybody has absolute
faith in the reliability of their electronic glide computers. Last
week my computer lost its 3-D GPS fix and I was forced to use my
wits...not a very useful tool. I've contacted all the usual suspects
in the US and asked the British Gliding Association for ideas. Whiz
Wheels seemed to have gone the way of my wing-mate the Dodo bird. TIA
Gene

All you need for a home made one is time, patience, a copy of the polar and
a computer. If (like me) you need the geriatric version, the rotating bit
makes an ideal use for one of those giveaway "sign up to AOL" CDs.