If yiu didn't fight in WW II.....

Old February 27th 04, 02:27 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: If yiu didn't fight in WW II.....
From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 2/27/04 1:53 AM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
If you didn't fight in WW II do you feel as though your had missed

something?
Do you feel that given your druthers you'd rather have been there than not?

Any
regrets at having missed it? Anyone?

Having heard the descriptions of that war from my father (coast defence
during summer 1940, including Cromwell, Atlantic escorts 1940-1943,
channel 1943-44, south atlantic escorts 1944-45) and some of his
contemporaries (whose service included variously intruder missions over
France in Beaufighters, tanks in France in 1940, the desert and Italy,
motor gunboats in the channel and the Adriatic, minesweepers in the
channel and flying fulmars over the western desert, then Corsairs in
the far east) I'm *profoundly* glad I missed it. I can see the scars it
left on people. I'm very glad that my generation didn't have to go through
that (and I think my parents generation are mainly glad that they saved
their children and grandchildren from having to do it).
That said, my parents' generation were faced with either doing something
about a truely horrible threat (though without knowing - then - quite
how horrible it was) or having to live under it. If I'd been faced with
the same situation I can only hope I might have done as well. I'm not
sure I would, but then maybe neither were they. I'm very glad to have been
spared that.
The tragedy - in this country at least (.uk) - is the way part of that
generation's legacy - the country they built *after* they came home -
has been squandered by my generation.

--
Andy Breen ~

Very thoughtful post Andy. Many I have heard from over the last 60 years
expressed pretty much what you did. It often just starts with they wished they
had been there with us. It was a war worth fighting and their lives would have
been a bit more worthwhile had they fought that good fight. Then many question
if they could have done as well as we did if they were there with us. I always
assure them that they would have done exactly as we did had they been there
alongside us, And I believe that...
But I think that the sense of ultimate adventure and achievement has a lot to
do with it. The war was the ultimate event in the 20th cenntury, Many are sorry
they missed it,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old February 27th 04, 03:05 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 2/27/04 1:53 AM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedbacck, Art. It's something I've been thinking about
more than usual recently - my father having been very seriously ill
over the last week (he's almost completely recovered now - like many
of his generation he's a tough guy, in spite of having had a tough time).

Hope you won't mind me making a suggestion - I've been following the
accounts you've been putting up on your web-space (fascinating stuff):
Have you considered offering them to one of the archives for long-term
preservation (not that I'm not hoping you'll be with us for many years to
come!). The 2nd World War Experience Centre seems to be a rather good one,
and they are on the look-out for a larger US presence there.

http://www.war-experience.org/

I had some dealings with them when they put some stuff of my father's
up on the site - editing it into shape and so on - and they seemed
very good.

It's important that the next generation knows just what your generation
went through - and what they did for us.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old February 27th 04, 03:13 PM
ArtKramr

From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 2/27/04 7:05 AM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
From:
(ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 2/27/04 1:53 AM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
[...]

I have been thinking about that but I am not quite finished with it yet. More
to come. But any archive can simply download it can't they? BTW, Regards to
Mrs. Prothero. (:-))

Old February 27th 04, 03:19 PM
Kevin Brooks

"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" wrote in message

snip

It's important that the next generation knows just what your generation
went through - and what they did for us.

And you think the "historical" input of a clown who cannot acknowledge that
the entire national Guard was mobilized and a goodly chunk of them already
were in the fight when he graduated from high school, and goes on to lable
those same personnel as "shirkers", has any real value? A guy who makes the
astonishing claim (repeatedly) that his outfit *never* missed its designated
target, despite the clear evidence that such results would have been
impossible during that time period? One who disparages the efforts of those
in his generation who served honorably and went where they were told, and
did what they were instructed to do, as being somehow of less value than his
own efforts? Sorry, but all of that adds up to a rather biased and
untrustworthy source IMO.

Brooks

--
Andy Breen ~

Old February 27th 04, 03:20 PM
Ragnar

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

I was born in 1963. Kind of assinine to feel that I "missed" something

that
was over before I was borne.

Then how do you explain the fascination with WWII aircraft and flight
sims?

Most people involved with those activities are trying to relive a "golden
age" of some sort. WW2 was the last "pure" war, with good and evil facing
off in a fight to the finish (yes, the Soviets weren't "good", but you get
the idea). Today's world is largely unsatisfactory to some people, and
instead of working to make it better, they try to relive the past.

Old February 27th 04, 03:21 PM
Tarver Engineering

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

As Colin Powell said:

"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and
well-placed managed to wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National
Guard units... Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class
discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all
Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

You are such an insulting old ****, Art.

Without the Guard, you would be dead.