Is Van a complete genius?

Old January 5th 04, 01:43 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Is Van a complete genius?

How can an RV-9 possibly cruise 50 mph faster than a 152 w/same engine
yet stall at the same speed and give up nothing in terms of stability, etc.?

P.S. Zoom is a wiener.

Old January 5th 04, 02:19 AM
John Ammeter

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:43:40 GMT, Paul Folbrecht
wrote:

How can an RV-9 possibly cruise 50 mph faster than a 152 w/same engine
yet stall at the same speed and give up nothing in terms of stability, etc.?

P.S. Zoom is a wiener.

I wouldn't say a "complete genius" but damn near that...

I built an RV-6 and was always amazed at how easily it
handled. You didn't have to move the stick so much as
merely put a little pressure in the direction you wanted to
go.

IMHO, the RV aircraft is as close as you can come to flying
completely by feel and instinct.

John Ammeter
Old January 5th 04, 02:50 AM
Jerry Springer

Low drag and airfoil...

Paul Folbrecht wrote:
How can an RV-9 possibly cruise 50 mph faster than a 152 w/same engine
yet stall at the same speed and give up nothing in terms of stability,
etc.?

Low drag and airfoil...

Jerry(number 2 RV-6 to fly)Springer

Old January 5th 04, 03:06 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

How can an RV-9 possibly cruise 50 mph faster than a 152 w/same engine
yet stall at the same speed and give up nothing in terms of stability, etc.?

Don't have the details, but the CAFE Foundation has a cleaned up C152
that's about 50MPH faster than stock...

Ed Wischmeyer
Old January 5th 04, 04:47 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Ok, I knew that much. :-) Actually, I meant to compliment Van because
it's obvious he really knows what he's doing and designs some wonderful
aircraft, but looking at a 152 up close it's really not too difficult to
imagine something going lots faster with the same engine. :-) Lots of
bumps & draggy stuff all over those things.

Bryan Martin wrote:
in article .net, Paul
Folbrecht at wrote on 1/4/04 8:43 PM:

How can an RV-9 possibly cruise 50 mph faster than a 152 w/same engine
yet stall at the same speed and give up nothing in terms of stability, etc.?

Less drag.

Old January 5th 04, 04:53 AM
Paul Folbrecht

If anybody cares to humor me any further-

One question I have on my mind now is why build a 7A over a 9A unless,
possibly, you really have to have the aerobatic capability? Or really
want more than 160hp? Cause at 160 the -9 just performs better. The 7
gets you a measly 2-3mph better cruise with a whopping 7-8mph increase
in stall speed. And the -9 is a better XC platform as well, is it not?
(I still have not gotten my demo ride.. didn't happen at AV this year
as I got there too late. Almost got a ride in a -6A once but then the
airport went IFR.)

Yeah, I'm still in the 'dreaming' stage but I'll get there (building the
thing, that is). At least I have the PPL almost out of the way-
checkride scheduled for 1/22.

Old January 5th 04, 05:54 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:06:05 -0700, Ed Wischmeyer
wrote:

How can an RV-9 possibly cruise 50 mph faster than a 152 w/same engine
yet stall at the same speed and give up nothing in terms of stability, etc.?

Don't have the details, but the CAFE Foundation has a cleaned up C152
that's about 50MPH faster than stock...

Quote from the CAFE Writeup:

"1. Obtain RV-9 kit.
2. Unbolt engine from Cessna fuselage...."

:-) :-) :-)

Old January 5th 04, 01:50 PM
Darrel Toepfer

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote...
Ok, I knew that much. :-) Actually, I meant to compliment Van because
it's obvious he really knows what he's doing and designs some wonderful
aircraft, but looking at a 152 up close it's really not too difficult to
imagine something going lots faster with the same engine. :-) Lots of
bumps & draggy stuff all over those things.

http://www.airdale.com/comet%2021.html
http://www.ultralightnews.com/airventure99/comet21.htm

Not 50mph faster, but a good 20 or so, much better climb too...

Old January 5th 04, 04:00 PM
RobertR237

In article k.net, Paul
Folbrecht writes:

Ok, I knew that much. :-) Actually, I meant to compliment Van because
it's obvious he really knows what he's doing and designs some wonderful
aircraft, but looking at a 152 up close it's really not too difficult to
imagine something going lots faster with the same engine. :-) Lots of
bumps & draggy stuff all over those things.

Best example of same basic design that goes much faster on same engine is the
GlasStar. It is very comparable in design and size to the 152 but has
performance figures that are far better.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old January 6th 04, 12:07 AM
plumb bob

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
hlink.net...
If anybody cares to humor me any further-

One question I have on my mind now is why build a 7A over a 9A unless,
possibly, you really have to have the aerobatic capability? Or really
want more than 160hp? Cause at 160 the -9 just performs better. The 7

RV-9A's are for girls :-) No aerobatics.

-- Plumb Bob (straight up opinions, screw political correctness)