Biometric I.D.s

Old December 15th 04, 06:32 AM
Andrew Tubbiolo

Default Biometric I.D.s

Hey All:

So it looks like we are all going to get fingerprinted, iris
scanned, and who know what else. Is this news to anybody? How
much opposition is there to the new ID requrements? What do you
folks think and feel?

I'm creeped out. I think our country is being taken over by a
bunch of paranoid freaks.

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...tificates.html

--
Andrew

Old December 15th 04, 08:11 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Tubbiolo" wrote in message
So it looks like we are all going to get fingerprinted, iris
scanned, and who know what else. Is this news to anybody? How
much opposition is there to the new ID requrements? What do you
folks think and feel?

I'm creeped out. I think our country is being taken over by a
bunch of paranoid freaks.

The country is being taken over by a bunch of opportunistic power-hungry
tyrants. They simply rely on the paranoid in order to achieve their goals.

As far as the potential for pilots being fingerprinted, I think it's as dumb
as all the other useless and wasteful so-called "security measures" we've
had to endure since 9/11.

I am literally nauseated that my "fellow" Americans have been so willing to
allow our own government to do the terrorists' dirty work for them. I try
not to think about it as much as possible, because it makes getting anything
else done so difficult.

Pete

Old December 15th 04, 08:28 AM
tony roberts

I think our country is being taken over by a
bunch of paranoid freaks.

No it isn't. If you pull the lion's tail, you must expect to get bitten.

I have just been told that as of last Saturday, as a Brit living in
Canada, if I want to enter the US from Canada I have to be fingerprinted
and photographed - and pay for the privilege! And once isn't enough - I
have to do it every time that I enter.
You want to know something? I don't care. I can understand "most" of it.
If Canada had ****ed off as many Moslem countries as the US government
has in the last few years we'd be doing the same thing. And the fact
that they are serious about screening who comes in makes me feel
slightly safer when I'm there that if they weren't.

But there is one tiny detail that baffles me.
The Brits supported the American position in Iraq, fought alongside them
and are still there. The Canadians didn't.
So why the hell do the Brits get fingerprinted and photographed but
Canadians don't?

Is there nowhere in the US that teaches diplomacy 101?
Frankly I'm baffled.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old December 15th 04, 08:35 AM
Peter Duniho

"tony roberts" wrote in message
[...] If you pull the lion's tail, you must expect to get bitten.

I didn't pull the lion's tail. Why am I getting bit?

[...]
Is there nowhere in the US that teaches diplomacy 101?
Frankly I'm baffled.

As if anything else going on these days makes any more sense.

As far as your specific issue goes, Canadians and Americans have a long
history of crossing each other's border unimpeded. I don't know what the
current requirements are, but it used to be you didn't need a passport or
anything of the sort to go back and forth, if you were a US or Canada
citizen. I guess it's simply politically more difficult to start
fingerprinting Canadians than Britons, since it would affect a much larger
number of people (not just Canadians either, since Americans would probably
wind up being affected by a reciprocal arrangement entering Canada).

I mean really, even assuming Great Britain starts fingerprinting US citizens
entering that country (or have they already? I don't know), it's not like
enough US citizens would be affected to cause any sort of political heat
within the US.

Pete

Old December 15th 04, 09:55 AM
Brien K. Meehan

Andrew Tubbiolo wrote:
I'm creeped out. I think our country is being taken over by a
bunch of paranoid freaks.

You've been conditioned to think that.

Old December 15th 04, 11:41 AM

And there you have it. That interesting word, political.

Finally the GAO comes out with a report stating that the vast majority
of GA aircraft are not a viable threat.

But TSA and HSA must look like they are doing something, so we have to
have idiot TFRs (targetted against GA, which isn't where the a/c came
from that penetrated the Pentagon, or took down the towers...),
inspections of people before they board a commercial airliner (breast
inspections, shoe inspections, strip searches, etc.). How many things
do they allow you to keep that can be used as a weapon?

Seems to me that there is a passage in the bible that says if you
disobey My commands (and by extension, throw Me out of your lives) you
shall flee where no one persues. Sure does seem to match.
Later,
Steve.T

Old December 15th 04, 12:47 PM
tscottme

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andrew Tubbiolo wrote:
I'm creeped out. I think our country is being taken over by a
bunch of paranoid freaks.

You've been conditioned to think that.

I just hope those that are creeped out by these security measures don't
discover the mind-control implants in their teeth. We've sepnt a lot of
time and money installing those things, the first time, and some of you have
very bad breath.

--

Scott

"Arafat remains in stable condition after dying in a Paris hospital."

Old December 15th 04, 01:16 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:11:20 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in
::

The country is being taken over by a bunch of opportunistic power-hungry
tyrants.

I couldn't agree more. Karl Rove appears to be the ring leader of the
bunch. Be sure to listen to what NPR has to say:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=3887431

Karl Rove -- the man some call the president's Svengali.

http://www.bushsbrain.net/

“BUSH'S BRAIN” is a documentary that introduces the country to Karl
Rove, the man known as “Bush's Brain”, the most powerful political
figure America has never heard of, the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain
of today's Presidential politics. It is based on the best-selling book
BUSH'S BRAIN (Wiley, 2003) by journalists James Moore and Wayne
Slater.
Karl Rove is President George W. Bush's closest adviser. He is a man
who has almost single-handedly shaped the policies of our nation. A
brilliant tactician, ruthless opponent, savvy policy maker, and one of
the greatest political minds in the history of the Republic.

The relationship between Karl Rove and President George W. Bush is one
of the most unique political marriages in history. Feared and admired
by Republicans and Democrats alike, Rove has raised a new and
disturbing question for Americans: Who really runs the country?

Dubbed “the man with the plan” by “Dubya” himself, Karl Rove boldly
conceived and ruthlessly shaped the political career of our current
President to a degree never before seen in America. And he continues
to be a guiding force within the current Bush White House. His
influence marks a transcendent moment in American politics: the rise
of a political consultant to a position of unprecedented power.

BUSH'S BRAIN explores Rove's remarkable political journey and the
extraordinary role he has played in George Bush's rise to the top.
From his masterful political skills, to the secret machinations he has
carefully orchestrated, to his dramatic influence on foreign policy,
the fingerprints of Karl Rove can be found throughout the political
process.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0124/p01s02-uspo.html
"I think Karl has become more conservative over the past 20 years,"
says Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty
Commission, an arm of the Southern Baptist Convention, who has known
Rove for two decades. "I think that is largely the president's
influence on him."

Observers also say both men are driven by the memory of what happened
to Bush's father - and that they both hold as a top priority keeping
the party's conservative base happy. Indeed, Mr. Land says this
administration has been far better in its outreach to social
conservatives than any other in his lifetime.

"In the Reagan administration, they took our calls," he says, but with
the current White House, "sometimes they call us."

http://www.bushsbrainthemovie.com/
Old December 15th 04, 02:01 PM
William W. Plummer

Andrew Tubbiolo wrote:
Hey All:

So it looks like we are all going to get fingerprinted, iris
scanned, and who know what else. Is this news to anybody? How
much opposition is there to the new ID requrements? What do you
folks think and feel?

The concept of a universal ID is very appealing to many. Fortunately,
we already have one-- our DNA. And, it requires a court order based on
probably cause to check it.
Old December 15th 04, 02:43 PM
Dave S

I've been fingerprinted 4 or 5 times in my life, voluntarily.
Application for cop school long ago, more recently my concealed handgun
license and renewal. It's a non issue to me.

I utilize a computerized pharmaceutical cabinet daily as an ICU/ER
nurse, and it uses a biometric scan of my finger in lieu of a typed
password... (and I DO have the option of not using the biometric, but it
impedes my job performance).

Positive identification to exercise a PRIVELEDGE (not a right) is not
too "big brother" for me.

Dave