JU-87 with retractable undercarriage?

Old August 16th 04, 10:28 AM
Cub Driver

Did American fighters ever face the Ju87?

The last airplane shot down by the (U.S.-built) Brewster "Buffalo"
fighter was a Ju-87, one of two destroyed in Finnish Lapland by the
Finnish Air Force as part of its surrender agreement with Russia.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old August 16th 04, 04:52 PM
Krztalizer

Did American fighters ever face the Ju87?

They were used all over, all through the war. During the 1945 massed jet raids
against the bridgehead at Remagen, over 75 jets (Ar 234s and Jabo 262s)
attacked the bridge, in concert with a sustained but uncoordinated attacks by
level and dive bombers, including the hapless Ju 87. People were shooting down
Stukas almost to the last day of the war, and production continued far too late
into the war.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old August 18th 04, 07:17 PM
Old hoodoo

P-51's encountered a gaggle of ground strafer ju-87's at least once, I
think over Romania or Russia in 44 or 45. It was pretty much a massacre,
but 3 P-51's were purportedly lost...it is possible the heavily armed
ju-87's may have taken down these P-51's in the low altitude melee or maybe
they stalled and crashed, perhaps the 51's had reduced speed in order to get
at the slow Stukas in the unusual engagement.
I read about this in a P-51 book, maybe my memory is bad.

Al
"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message

ArtKramr ) writes:

Good thing they never made the JU 187.From what my fighter friends tell

me the
JU-87 was a lot of fun to shoot down.

Did American fighters ever face the Ju87?

Apart from North Africa and some limited use in Italy as night
harassment bombers, I had thought the Ju87s were restricted to
the Eastern Front and anti-partisan activities in the Balkans post-
1942.

Certainly not an aircraft the 8th or 9th AF would encounter at all
frequently.

Cheers and all,
--

"Cave ab homine unius libri"