"Why was a plane able to fly over New York?"

Old October 12th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Default "Why was a plane able to fly over New York?"

Front page of Yahoo right now, followed by, "A tragic small plane crash
brings to light a surprising fact."

It's truly saddening that everyone seems to be resorting to
anti-GA-speak. Why would a plane NOT be able to fly over New York? Was
there a rule I wasn't aware of? Does New York have a way of traffic
reporting that doesn't involved aircraft? Do they not allow helicopters
into downtown hospitals? I have no problem with the media reporting the
facts, but this makes me angry.
Old October 13th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R[_1_]

It is a fact that the media has always distorted the facts to generate
revenue.
If it wasn't over-sensationalized no one would bother watching.
The company I work for had a plane crash many years ago in the Midwest
and the media took off and ran whatever they wanted to say with total
disregard
for the family members of some of the crash victims.
It was then that I lost total respect for the media and since then I have
never
intentionally sat down to watch the news.
Living in Florida for most of my life I found that they (media) are also
directly responsible
for most of the persons that choose not to leave the area when a hurricane
is approaching,
due in part to the "cry wolf syndrome" created by them.

So enjoy your life and don't pay them too much attention.

David - KGYH

. ..

Old October 13th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay B

FLAV8R wrote:
[...]

But it's not just the media who are both ignorant and indignant at the
same time...

The bile that is being spewed by politicians is equally toxic but it
has the potential to do far more damage than what the press
prints/airs.

And so long as politicians pander for votes via the media, they are (in
most people's minds) indivisible.

By themselves, the press decrying GA will not bring forth an ADIZ over
NYC, but politicians decrying GA *By Way Of* the media could.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old October 13th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"FLAV8R" wrote in message

It was then that I lost total respect for the media and since then I have
never intentionally sat down to watch the news.

If you haven't watched the news then it's pretty curious how you know so
much about what and how they present their news. That's like me commenting
on how the New York Yankees play baseball when I haven't watched them play a
game in over a decade.

Living in Florida for most of my life I found that they (media) are also
directly responsible for most of the persons that choose not to leave the
area when a hurricane is approaching,

Actually, as an American of free will I like to believe that I am directly
responsible for my own actions. The people who are directly responsible
for choosing not to leave the area are the people who choose not to leave
the area.

-c

Old October 14th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R[_1_]

"gatt" wrote in message

"FLAV8R" wrote in message

It was then that I lost total respect for the media and since then I have
never intentionally sat down to watch the news.

If you haven't watched the news then it's pretty curious how you know so
much about what and how they present their news. That's like me
commenting on how the New York Yankees play baseball when I haven't
watched them play a game in over a decade.

How old are you? Does your daddy know that your playing with his computer?
If your looking to tear apart my qoute then use it correctly.
I said "I have never intentionally sat down to watch the news" that doesn't
mean
I don't get to watch it. At work they have monitors everywhere playing CNN
and
after hearing the same news for an entire 8 hour shift you come home knowing
more than you want to.

Living in Florida for most of my life I found that they (media) are also
directly responsible for most of the persons that choose not to leave
the area when a hurricane is approaching,

Actually, as an American of free will I like to believe that I am directly
responsible for my own actions. The people who are directly responsible
for choosing not to leave the area are the people who choose not to leave
the area.

-c

Again your showing your age.. It has nothing to do with free will.
Many people watch the news as a valid source of information, and in
the long run the person who has left the area 5 or 6 times based on the
over sensationalized reports of a massive hurricane approaching have
come to find that the reports are more for ratings than accuracy.

So when the next hurricane approaches you might not be so quick to
leave the comfort of your home and spend your day in highway gridlock
and overpriced hotels (due to price gouging) not to mention possibly
coming home to a house that has been looted.

I would think that you must have experienced that yourself living in
New York.

Now if I'm not mistaken your going to find some sort of idiotic response
to what I have just tried to educate you with.

David - KGYH

Old October 14th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"gatt" wrote in message

"FLAV8R" wrote in message

It was then that I lost total respect for the media and since then I have
never intentionally sat down to watch the news.

If you haven't watched the news then it's pretty curious how you know so
much about what and how they present their news.

Recall the word "intentionally". Define the word "experience".

Small wonder the MSM industry is heading down the crapper -- credibility
damn near ZILCH, comprehension is the same. Post-modernist twits, the only
thing the MSM has in its tally is _arrogance_.

Old October 13th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Front page of Yahoo right now, followed by, "A tragic small plane crash
brings to light a surprising fact."

It's truly saddening that everyone seems to be resorting to
anti-GA-speak. Why would a plane NOT be able to fly over New York? Was
there a rule I wasn't aware of? Does New York have a way of traffic
reporting that doesn't involved aircraft? Do they not allow helicopters
into downtown hospitals? I have no problem with the media reporting the
facts, but this makes me angry.

For most people, airplane + New York = terrorists. In fact, for most
people, airplane anywhere = danger. Although people are willing to
fly to travel to different places, they generally don't want aircraft
flying around their neighborhood. The usual NIMBY syndrome, plus a
general distrust of aviation.

Remember, pilots are a tiny minority of society. The rest of society
sees nothing positive about general aviation, and would just as soon
forbid it entirely.

Old October 13th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

For most people, airplane + New York = terrorists.

And prohibiting flying over NY would stop terrorists exactly how? I can
just see it: Mohammad Atta calling Osama: "Hey boss, we have to call
the thing off, they've prohibited flying over NY!"

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

And prohibiting flying over NY would stop terrorists exactly how?

It wouldn't. But the people doing the prohibiting wouldn't know
that--or wouldn't care.

Old October 16th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:53:19 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Mxsmanic,

For most people, airplane + New York = terrorists.

And prohibiting flying over NY would stop terrorists exactly how? I can
just see it: Mohammad Atta calling Osama: "Hey boss, we have to call
the thing off, they've prohibited flying over NY!"

One network and I don't remember which, did quote the AOPA's statement
about a small car being capable of carrying much more of any weapon
(biological, explosive, or what ever) than a small plane.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com