Near-miss over Orange County, Calif 6/30 8:08 pm?

Old July 2nd 03, 05:09 PM
HBYardSale

Default Near-miss over Orange County, Calif 6/30 8:08 pm?

I saw what looked like a near-miss Monday night (June 30, 8:08 pm PT) above the
city of Huntington Beach and would like to find out which airlines they were.
And I'd like to find out what happened and how far apart they came.

The reason I say "near-miss" was because I first saw a plane climbing, most
likely leaving Orange County John Wayne Airport, but it was hardly moving. I
had never seen an airliner flying that slowly toward the north and stopped to
watch it. While I was watching I saw another airline heading northwest at what
looked like the same altitude, possibly landing at Long Beach or LAX.

I realize that sometimes planes look like they are on the same level from the
ground, but these were both so low that I could almost make out the markings,
and at the time they were near each other, they appeared exactly the same size.
I actually cringed at the moment that the two images came together.

Anyway, seems like I remember hearing that there is a web site that shows an
animated "live" radar of air traffic.

I would guess that the north-bound airliner would have been scheduled to depart
John Wayne around 7:55 pm and that the northwest-bound plane was landing at
Long Beach or LAX around 8:15 pm.

Thanks in advance! (Pls post and copy me with email if possible.)

Old July 2nd 03, 07:26 PM
SD

Here is the link to see LAX radar.
http://www.airports.ci.la.ca.us/lax/laxframe.html and click on airport
monitor.

I looked at the time frame that you gave and the two flights that I
could see even get somewhat close is FRL6630- CRJ7
at 3000ft and AFR71 at 7000 feet. but they still had 4000 feet
separation which is more than adequate.
But look for yourself, maybe I was looking at the wrong two planes.

Scott

Old July 8th 03, 05:38 AM
HBYardSale

SD sdatverizondot.net@ writes

Here is the link to see LAX radar.

http://www.airports.ci.la.ca.us/lax/laxframe.html and click on airport
monitor.

I looked at the time frame that you gave and the two flights that I could see

even get somewhat close is FRL6630- CRJ7 at 3000ft and AFR71 at 7000 feet. but
they still had 4000 feet separation which is more than adequate. But look for
yourself, maybe I was looking at the wrong two planes.

THANKS for the super link!! That's a good one. I think I saw the 2 planes on
the site that I saw last week. (Rather than try to remember what I said, there
are quite a few follow-up postings as alt.aviation.piloting. Pls ignore the
trivial wise cracks from some.)

Thanks again.

Old July 9th 03, 03:28 PM
skygodtj

Scott,

Either I'm missing something or it isnt there... where is the link for this
airport monitor? I've looked at the LAX link in both Netscape and IE and dont
see anything for a radar feed.

TJ

wrote:

[...]

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old July 13th 03, 02:03 PM
Rick Cohen

On 7/8/03 12:38 AM, in article ,
"HBYardSale" wrote:

SD sdatverizondot.net@ writes

Here is the link to see LAX radar.

http://www.airports.ci.la.ca.us/lax/laxframe.html and click on airport
monitor.

I looked at the time frame that you gave and the two flights that I could see

even get somewhat close is FRL6630- CRJ7 at 3000ft and AFR71 at 7000 feet.
but
they still had 4000 feet separation which is more than adequate. But look for
yourself, maybe I was looking at the wrong two planes.

THANKS for the super link!! That's a good one. I think I saw the 2 planes on
the site that I saw last week. (Rather than try to remember what I said, there
are quite a few follow-up postings as alt.aviation.piloting. Pls ignore the
trivial wise cracks from some.)

Thanks again.

Did they remove the airport monitor? Couldn't find it.