Is your IFR GPS still legal for use?

Old May 25th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ArtP

Default Is your IFR GPS still legal for use?

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:24:41 -0400, Ron Natalie
wrote:

What's new about the 480? It's been on the market as the Garmin 480
(with WAAS and C146 certification) for nearly four years now and is
identical to the UPSAT branded units before that. There' has been
one whopping software revision in the interim (the one that fixes the
256 LPV approach limit).

That unit was specifically mentioned by AOPA as not approved.

Old May 25th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

wrote:

What's new about the 480? It's been on the market as the Garmin 480
(with WAAS and C146 certification) for nearly four years now and is
identical to the UPSAT branded units before that. There' has been
one whopping software revision in the interim (the one that fixes the
256 LPV approach limit).

That unit was specifically mentioned by AOPA as not approved.

I was thinking of getting one of them. I wonder what the difference is.

Old May 25th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

wrote:

What's new about the 480? It's been on the market as the Garmin 480
(with WAAS and C146 certification) for nearly four years now and is
identical to the UPSAT branded units before that. There' has been
one whopping software revision in the interim (the one that fixes the
256 LPV approach limit).

That unit was specifically mentioned by AOPA as not approved.

I was thinking of getting one of them. I wonder what the difference is.

Its totally different software. Flying behind the 480 you wouldn't
even think it was a Garmin product (in fact it wasn't until Garmin
bought it). However, I believe it was the first WAAS approved GPS and
it also has cool things that the 430 forgot (user defined holds,
airways, etc).

-Robert, CFII

Old May 26th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"john smith" wrote in message
AvWeb has an article in todays issue saying that only the GPS 400/500
series and G1000 are the only IFR certified navigators that are legal to
use.

Does anyone know the rationale for why the GPS receivers can not longer be
used as ADF or DME subs? Or is there any rationale stated by the FAA?

Danny Deger

Old May 26th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Danny Deger wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message

AvWeb has an article in todays issue saying that only the GPS 400/500
series and G1000 are the only IFR certified navigators that are legal to
use.

Does anyone know the rationale for why the GPS receivers can not longer
be used as ADF or DME subs? Or is there any rationale stated by the FAA?

It does not affect those operations. Read the AC carefully.

Old May 26th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:45:19 -0500, "Danny Deger"
wrote:

Does anyone know the rationale for why the GPS receivers can not longer be
used as ADF or DME subs? Or is there any rationale stated by the FAA?

"We're from the FAA, and we're not happy until you're not happy"?
--ron
Old May 26th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
AvWeb has an article in todays issue saying that only the GPS 400/500
series and G1000 are the only IFR certified navigators that are legal to
use.

Does anyone know the rationale for why the GPS receivers can not longer be
used as ADF or DME subs? Or is there any rationale stated by the FAA?

Danny Deger

Certainly the case in parts of Europe especially the UK.

Old May 26th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

john smith wrote in news:4656d17a$0$2829
:

AvWeb has an article in todays issue saying that only the GPS 400/500
series and G1000 are the only IFR certified navigators that are legal to
use.

From the way I am reading it, it sounds like the restriction is only for
certain types of GPS-specific procedures, such as RNAV-STARs, RNAV-SIDs, and
Q-Routes and T-Routes. I'm not sure what a Q-Route or a T-Route is, but I
have heard of RNAV-STARs and RNAV-SIDs. I've never used them up to now, and
it doesn't worry me much that I won't be able to use them with my current
GPS.

Normal routes (even off-airway, which is specifically mentioned) and normal
STARs, SIDs, and other procedures, even GPS approaches, don't seem to be
covered in this AC.

I'm no lawyer, nor even an expert, but that's how I read it...

Did AOPA get wind of a specific paragraph that is more broad than this?
Old May 26th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:38:54 GMT, Judah wrote:

john smith wrote in news:4656d17a$0$2829
:

AvWeb has an article in todays issue saying that only the GPS 400/500
series and G1000 are the only IFR certified navigators that are legal to
use.

From the way I am reading it, it sounds like the restriction is only for
certain types of GPS-specific procedures, such as RNAV-STARs, RNAV-SIDs, and
Q-Routes and T-Routes. I'm not sure what a Q-Route or a T-Route is, but I
have heard of RNAV-STARs and RNAV-SIDs. I've never used them up to now, and
it doesn't worry me much that I won't be able to use them with my current
GPS.

Normal routes (even off-airway, which is specifically mentioned) and normal
STARs, SIDs, and other procedures, even GPS approaches, don't seem to be
covered in this AC.

I'm no lawyer, nor even an expert, but that's how I read it...

Did AOPA get wind of a specific paragraph that is more broad than this?

A T-Route is a low altitude RNAV route. I believe they can be numbered
from 200-500 (e.g T200).

A Q-Route is a high altitude RNAV route.

So far as the restriction people have been stating having to do with not
being able to use the uncertified GPS units as a substitute for ADF/DME,
that stems from the AIM (1-2-3) (and possibly a change that has not been
published) restricting this type of usage to units that are compliant with
AC90-100.

--ron
Old May 26th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

So far as the restriction people have been stating having to do with not
being able to use the uncertified GPS units as a substitute for ADF/DME,
that stems from the AIM (1-2-3) (and possibly a change that has not been
published) restricting this type of usage to units that are compliant
with AC90-100.

Ahh... Now I get why I didn't see it.

But the AIM is not regulatory, is it?

If it is, it's a stupid rule. One of the ILSs at my home airport actually
requires an ADF. What a pain.

Legal or not? Jim Macklin Instrument Flight Rules 42 October 5th 06 12:02 AM
non TSO AI for co-pilot legal? Dico Owning 29 July 22nd 06 09:04 PM
Legal Links [email protected] Piloting 0 May 13th 06 05:04 PM
Legal question PMA Home Built 9 January 14th 05 03:52 AM
Decent below MDA, Legal? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 59 October 4th 03 10:04 AM