The HPH 304S Turbine sustainer glider

Old September 22nd 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default The HPH 304S Turbine sustainer glider

Hi Gang
A year ago I subscribed for a year to RC Sport Flyer Magazine to
understand the incredible technology innovations happening to RC
aircraft and to figure out if some of these things might apply to
regular gliders. Well the latest issue dated October 09 has a full
feature article on the 304 glider with with a 8.8lb single stage
turbine. This turbine can produce almost a 100lbs of thrust although
its fuel efficiency is terrible. Since it runs up to 100,000 rpm most
of the noise it generates is above our hearing. Excellent article.
Also there is a full length article on the Jetcat turbine for 200mph
RC models which is not to be missed and info on the latest miniature
electric motors and lithium ion batteries. So go and locate and buy
the October issue of RC Sport Flyer. I guarantee, that for the
inquisitive of you, you will not be disappointed.
Dave

PS Probably 99% of all innovations that have occurred with helicopters
(both full size and in models) in the last 10 years have been through
the combined efforts of the RC folk to improve their toys. There has
to be a lesson learned somewhere from this? I guess models are
relatively inexpensive and disposable whereas real helicopters and
people are not.
Old September 22nd 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny

On Sep 22, 1:16*pm, kd6veb wrote:
[...]

Bob Carlton of Albuquerque has been performing his aerobatic routine
for several years in a jet-powered glider which currently has one
engine generating 225 lbs of thrust. Please go to this URL for info on
Bob and his jet-powered Super Salto!

http://www.vertigoairshows.com/home.html

From his site:

"THE SUPER SALTO JET SAILPLANE

Powered by the PBS TJ-100 jet engine, the highly modified Super Salto
sailplane is the only sailplane on the airshow circuit capable of
performing a low-level, jet-powered airshow performance. Utilizing its
powerful jet engine, the Super Salto performs a high-speed aerobatic
climb to altitude without a tow plane, followed by a spectacular
exhibition of graceful sailplane aerobatics, choreographed to
classical music, and featuring the world-famous Vertigo Airshows
smoke. When the original altitude is spent, most sailplanes must land.
But not this sailplane! By simply spooling up the jet engine, the
graceful sailplane is quickly transformed into a true low-level
aerobatics machine. Accompanied by an ever-quickening musical score,
the Super Salto cavorts at ground level with loops, rolls,
hammerheads, spins and vertical penetration never dreamed of by a
sailplane."

I have seen Bob perform several times and his show is really
outstanding!
Thx - RRR
Old September 23rd 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Sep 22, 2:16*pm, kd6veb wrote:
[...]

Model turbines on full scale sailplanes is old news.

And fwiw, the turbine slows down a perfectly good model sailplane....
200 mph is crawling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQB16ZaNI4

/Adam