New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

Old February 13th 18, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

tiistai 13. helmikuuta 2018 8.18.52 UTC+2 Kirk Robertson kirjoitti:
I just read the article from Derek Piggot and am curious on staying away from Libelles' Everyone seems to love them, do the spoilers just not provide as much drag as others?

Frank Whiteley, thanks for the offer but I'm still just doing reading/research, I'll call when I get a few prospective gliders I need to narrow it down to one.

For now I'm staying away from flap-only ships, I have no misconception about my piloting ability and don't really want to make it any easier to do anything dumb and hurt myself or my glider.

Kirk.

Std.Libelle is absolute 100% joy to fly even for experienced pilots. Nimble, light on controls, surprsingly modern for it's age (Hänle invented many things we see in todays gliders), and that beautiful classic shape (think of Porsche 911 or Alfa Spider). Like most of gliders this vintage, it is not very stable and requires more accurate control coordination than modern gliders which mostly fly themselves. There is nothing difficult or dangerous, even for low time pilot. Airbrakes are weak, but you get used to them and you will learn soon to sideslip the thing. Once again, pure joy to fly (yes, I wish I had one).
Old February 13th 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

This in response to an earlier post of mine...

If you wish to ignore the sage advice of one of the most professional and
experienced instructors in the world, (plus display pilot, film stunt
pilot ect. ect.), who has probably flown more types of aircraft than most pilots
(including flapped only ships) - your choice.

We-l-l...I suspect we can agree:
- all free advice is worth - at the very least - exactly what is paid for it;
- everyone is free/welcome to make their own choices in life, and, to accept
personal responsibility for the resulting consequences.

Were it possible for me to do, I'd bet money on:
- Derek Piggott agreeing his general advice about which I posted earlier was
never intended to be "absolutely correct." Stated another way, I'll
characterize it as great advice, based on tons of personal/instructing
experience, soundly reasoned and likely "generally spot on" for its time and
place (ostensibly Great Britain, in the mid 1970s).

I *suspect* Mr. Piggott would readily agree his goal as an instructor was less
to turn out unthinking automatons programmed to do only exactly as he
proposed, than to ensure his (and all) students were thoroughly grounded in
the fundamentals, while simultaneously being educated/thoughtfully-prepared to
safely embark on soaring's life-enriching, unavoidably self-educational,
adventures. Gratifying adventures...though simultaneously and also
unavoidably, potentially deadly. If I'm wrong in this particular surmise, then
I'm OK with agreeing to disagree with the man.

Respectfully,
Bob - from the "Life is Nuanced" school of thought - W.

---
http://www.avg.com

First glider inspection/purchase help (not model) tstock Soaring 7 April 12th 11 07:33 AM
First Glider Purchase brian d Soaring 14 September 22nd 06 05:34 PM
Glider purchase fraud Bob Caldwell Soaring 3 January 31st 06 02:49 AM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice Ted Wagner Soaring 19 January 2nd 04 07:00 PM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice -- II Ted Wagner Soaring 11 December 26th 03 05:04 PM