Arcus vs

Old December 19th 17, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Arcus vs

Hi,

How does Arcus compare (any and all aspects) to other modern two seaters?
Does anyone have any experience with Arcus EL?

Old December 19th 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 3:30:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
How does Arcus compare (any and all aspects) to other modern two seaters?

Arcus is easy to fly, a bit harder to fly well.
Fantastic performance, as good as older open-class two-seaters.
Easy to deal with (rig/derig/taxi/take-off/land).
Duo better choice for lower time pilots but experienced pilots
have no problems flying mine.
I flew ASG-32 and Arcus prior buying ArcusM (formerly owned Duo share).

Does anyone have any experience with Arcus EL?

Arcus EL is no longer offered.

If you fly one, you'll probably buy one ;-)

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old December 19th 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why did you choose Arcus over ASG-32?

We really want electric self launch or at least sustained...

Old December 19th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 4:24:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why did you choose Arcus over ASG-32?

Enough power for high density altitude self-launch and self-retrieve,
sensible steerable tailwheel (actually steers and not broken when I test-flew),
IIRC bigger rear seat cockpit.

We really want electric self launch or at least sustained...

Be careful there is enough energy stored to do what you need.
Look at total climb altitude from a charge.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old December 19th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

At 20:30 19 December 2017, wrote:
Hi,

How does Arcus compare (any and all aspects) to other

modern two seaters?
Does anyone have any experience with Arcus EL?

Very, very few electric Arcus were ever built. I know of one

that was crashed in the French Alps, it was spun-in, so that's
one less.
You may wait a long time for first hand information on the
Arcus E. However lots of generally good things are said about
the Arcus, Arcus T and Arcus M: there are lots of them at
Sisteron in the summer. The two stroke self launch Arcus M
and the Arcus E both have much higher wing loadings, opinion
on whether this is a real problem depends on who you ask.
Lots of information out there on the Lange Antares 20E/23E
electric propulsion system, this is pretty much the same as the
system in the Arcus E. In climb you've probably got 11 -13
minutes total engine run time so if you use 6 minutes climbing
out you've got 6 minutes of run time left; this is NOT going to
get you back from the far end of a failed 500K. This is probably
a significant factor for many buyers? On the plus side you have
a reliable electric motor not a complex smelly petrol engine.
I'd guess Dave Nadler would be your best source of
information.
Dave Walsh

Old December 19th 17, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So it looks like ASG-32 is the only electric powered two seater made nowadays?

Should make any decisions easy if electric engine is the base factor

Old December 19th 17, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 5:00:07 PM UTC-5, Dave Walsh wrote:
Very, very few electric Arcus were ever built.

IIRC only 3.

...one was crashed in the French Alps...

wing-tip into a rock-face, bad way to go...

You may wait a long time for first hand information on the
Arcus E.

There's one rented in Africa; google by whom and contact
them for information. They'll sell it to you ;-)

However lots of generally good things are said about
the Arcus, Arcus T and Arcus M

Yup!

The two stroke self launch Arcus M
and the Arcus E both have much higher wing loadings, opinion
on whether this is a real problem depends on who you ask.

ArcusM handles the weight just fine; not a big problem
even in pretty weak weather.

I'd guess Dave Nadler would be your best source of
information.

Bummer.
Old December 19th 17, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 4:24:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
We really want electric self launch or at least sustained...

I have a nice Antares 20E I'll sell you after 2018 USA 18m nationals ;-)
Old December 19th 17, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

wrote:
We really want electric self launch or at least sustained...

I have a nice Antares 20E I'll sell you after 2018 USA 18m

nationals ;-)

Go for it! In America, land of the free, the Antares 20E can be
flown in both 18m and 20m mode. In Europe, land of the
actual designer and builder, only 20m mode is legal - go figure.

Old December 20th 17, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

We have Arcus E in our airfield. Owners seem to be happy with it and it flies a lot and never lands out. It is very heavy which makes it impossible to fly in 20m class (800kg MTOW) competitions. All self-launchers in this class (and ASG 32EL which has similar empty weight) fly very close to 800kg MTOW without any water ballast. In WGC level competitions lighter Arcus T's (or those few non-engined ships) have edge in weak weather. I think the general consensus between 32Mi and Arcus M pilots is that both consider their ships to be little better than others...

First flight of Jet Arcus [email protected] Soaring 7 September 30th 16 02:38 AM
Arcus owners not monitoring the Arcus newsgroup... Dave Nadler Soaring 14 August 30th 16 05:54 PM
Hybrid Arcus [email protected] Soaring 13 April 2nd 15 06:34 AM
FS: Arcus T [email protected] Soaring 0 February 22nd 13 10:50 PM
Arcus - first impressions Andreas Maurer Soaring 1 July 7th 09 01:35 PM