Cramping and Stiffness

Old December 20th 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Seccombe

Default Cramping and Stiffness

raxy recently commented, "I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it."

I have been planning on asking what methods are used to avoid and deal with stiffness and cramping while flying in such close quarters.

It used to be all I had to do was get up and walk to the back for a short time; now looking forward to doing some cross country soaring with a bit of a hip problem it's a concern.
Old December 20th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:32:57 AM UTC-7, Robert Seccombe wrote:
raxy recently commented, "I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it."

I have been planning on asking what methods are used to avoid and deal with stiffness and cramping while flying in such close quarters.

It used to be all I had to do was get up and walk to the back for a short time; now looking forward to doing some cross country soaring with a bit of a hip problem it's a concern.

I think this is a super interesting topic because I "enjoy" endurance sports like trail running.

Cramps are caused by two problems muscular/skeletal issues or poor nutrition/hydration. Muscular/skeletal issues are tough and one would probably need the help of a physician or chiropractor to resolve.

Nutrition is easy to fix, and in my opinion, gliding is an endurance sport. For my endurance running here are some things I do...
1. The day before a race I carb load and drink tons of water.
2. The day of a race I get a decent carb-centric breakfast like oatmeal.
3. During the race, I sip a ton of Gatorade or other sports drinks, if you get thirsty you are already behind.
4. Also, once I am racing it is time for my fuel. Some good options are GU, Sportsbeans, and Hammer gels. Sportsbeans are my Favorite.

Couple of things to avoid. On hot days driking just water is bad news since you aren't also replacing electrolytes. Most sports drinks and nutrition listed above help with that. There has also been some research that suggests a little protein intake helps with the things above, it is worth trying.

Here is a quick article that talks about this in much more detail: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/n...-athletes-101/
Old December 20th 17, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 11:34:33 PM UTC+3, Jonathan Foster wrote:
[...]

I, and others I've talked to, have found chocolate milk to be excellent in flight or on the ground between flights on a long day at the gliding field. One that's not too sweet.
Old December 21st 17, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

I am reading two different symptoms. Cramps vs. Stiffness. One is muscular, the other normally associated with joints. Hips were mentioned, so I'm going with the author is in the final 3rd of his life. Possible arthritis causing inflammation. Also circulation restrictions due to poor support of the body.
For hip joint issues ( arthritis), I take 2 Alieve (Nuproxen) 1 hour prior to flight. Yes the bottle saids 1, take 2. Circulation improvements I use a lumbar support between my back and parachute, which raises my hip slightly for a more even support along with foam throughout the seat pan. Rolled towels under each arm.
I make my cockpit the perfect recliner. 9 hrs, no problem.
I do ankle rolls and arm stretches while cruising to stimulate circulation.
Hydration....yes, very important.
Cheers,

Old December 21st 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Reagan

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:32:57 AM UTC-5, Robert Seccombe wrote:
raxy recently commented, "I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it."

I have been planning on asking what methods are used to avoid and deal with stiffness and cramping while flying in such close quarters.

It used to be all I had to do was get up and walk to the back for a short time; now looking forward to doing some cross country soaring with a bit of a hip problem it's a concern.

After 5 or 6 hours I often develop cramps in my legs. I take a couple of these pills and the cramps stop for the next couple of hours. The pills are "Hyland's Leg Cramps". They can be found at Walmart, Walgreens, etc., etc.. They are usually in the supplement section.

They do seem to work.

Dan Reagan

Old December 21st 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

Many of my flight during the summer are 6-7 hours; some even longer. I always eat a banana that morning and drink lots of pedialyte/water mixed 50/50 while flying. Pedialyte has all if not more of the good stuff as Gatorade, and not nearly the sugar.
Old December 21st 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yep, I have to go sorta with this.
For me, YMMV, cramps are low potassium or pinch spots. These can be a wrinkle in pants, a parachute, etc. be VERY comfortable when getting in before launch.
Potassium can be had in sports drinks or bananas which are sorta "low waste" when eaten as well as easy to deal with.

As to sports drinks, I and others usually dilute about 50%. If mixing from a powder, easy to do. If from a store supplied bottle, save a few empty bottles and mix 50/50 with water.
Yes, I stick to "fruit punch" or similar, makes it easier to NOT drink a pee bottle late in the day......;-)
Old December 21st 17, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 3:18:57 PM UTC-8, Dan Reagan wrote:
The pills are "Hyland's Leg Cramps".
They do seem to work.

"Seem" is the operative word, since they're homeopathic, so just sugar pills with zero active ingredients.

Here's a current science-based discussion of homeopathy: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/fda...hy-regulation/

5Z
Old December 21st 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tums can be very effective for relieving cramps. I always used to carry a roll when I did multi-hour bike rides or other endurance events.

Matt