Best warbird to own

Old November 8th 03, 04:35 PM
Dale

In article ,
Peter Kemp peter_n_kempathotmaildotcom@ wrote:

Mosquito, no question. Reliable, fun to fly, seats two, plus carries
up to 4,000lb of "baggage". Of course finding one to buy could be a
little tricky, but we are talking fantasy here.

Hmmm, if you're thinking of a twin I'd go with the P-61 Black Widow.
You'll need an LOA but oh man, talk about an evil looking airplane!!

Think of the excitement you'll cause among the "black helicopter" crowd.

Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old November 8th 03, 05:33 PM
MLenoch

Matt:
You are right......we are refining this thing. A T-28A in Standard category
does not need an LOA, while the T-28B/C in Experimental does need an LOA.
VL
Old November 8th 03, 06:52 PM
Yeff

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:10:46 GMT, redc1c4 wrote:

who's buying a war bird as soon as i win the Lotto.......... %-)

Mint juleps and military aviation don't mix... do they?

-Jeff B. (who knows that wouldn't stop you)
yeff at erols dot com
Old November 8th 03, 07:46 PM
Michael Williamson

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Gregg Germain wrote:

THREE guys? Wow I'm impressed. Was one in the nose? ;^)

There was a modification of the P-38 that added a passenger seat in the nose.
The troops gave it the nickname "droop-snoot". Since it replaced the guns, it
was not a popular mod with the pilots. The military radio gear lived in a hole
behind the pilot and was quite substantial. Remove that, and you can fit a
rather cramped seat back there.

Not exactly a "passenger" seat, but rather another crew position for
use as a level bomber, employing a Norden bombsight and a bombardier.
Also, the P-38M night fighter variant had a second seat installed
behind and above the pilot, with it's own canopy hatch- not sure
what they did with the radios.

Mike

Old November 8th 03, 08:44 PM
redc1c4

Yeff wrote:

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:10:46 GMT, redc1c4 wrote:

who's buying a war bird as soon as i win the Lotto.......... %-)

Mint juleps and military aviation don't mix... do they?

-Jeff B. (who knows that wouldn't stop you)
yeff at erols dot com

couldn't tell ya.....

OTOH, mint julep martinis are an entirely different animal.

guns & alcohol don't mix though*.

redc1c4,
*the alcohol messes up the finish, the oil makes your drink taste
funny, and worst of all, you waste part of your drink. %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old November 8th 03, 09:44 PM

Dale wrote:

In article ,
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

orary fighters.

The balance problem is caused by the aft fuselage tank. Many Mustangs have
had
this removed. In any case, you won't need to fill it unless you're planning a
1600 mile trip. Stall speed in military configuration was about 95, which
isn't
out of line with other fighters of the era and is actually a bit lower than
the
Bf-109. I've read, however, that the plane doesn't give warning before the
stall
and drops the left wing dramatically when it does. Len Deighton claims that
few
military pilots three-pointed the Mustang because that gets you too close to
the
stall speed. Some years back, I got to watch 52 of these planes land at Sun'n
Fun. Every landing was a wheel landing with the tail slightly low.

I only have 1 hour in a Mustang, but when doing stalls it gave plenty of
warning with the stall occuring at about 81KIAS. We did not however do
any accelerated stalls.

That's interesting about 'little warning' and dropping the 'left'
wing. I'm only familiar with some heavies and they all gave lots
of warning, very 'fine' buffeting progressing to coarser and
higher amplitudes before the 'real thing'. Also they all six
dropped the 'right' wing. Would that be a function of the prop
rotation direction? I notice that all six had right hand
rotation, does the Mustang have left hand rotation?, or is it
some other factor that causes this?.
--

-Gord.
Old November 9th 03, 03:44 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
redc1c4 writes:
Yeff wrote:

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:10:46 GMT, redc1c4 wrote:

who's buying a war bird as soon as i win the Lotto.......... %-)

Mint juleps and military aviation don't mix... do they?

-Jeff B. (who knows that wouldn't stop you)
yeff at erols dot com

couldn't tell ya.....

OTOH, mint julep martinis are an entirely different animal.

guns & alcohol don't mix though*.

Alcohol and Gasoline do, but it tastes terrible.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster