The Commercial License: Is it a good long-term investment?

Old April 20th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default The Commercial License: Is it a good long-term investment?

Hello everyone,

Everyone knows that if you put in thousands of dollars for a solid
college education, you'll reap the benefits later on. Is it also true
for the FAA commercial license? If I put in the extra money to get a
commercial license, can recoup that money (and them some) by starting
an air chartering service? Is the air chartering industry profitable?
I have a great day job and would like to keep it. I'm willing to spend
evenings and weekends flying an air charter, but I don't know if I'll
go bankrupt. What are your two cents?

Old April 20th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The primary benefit of a commercial ticket is not the money you will make
but the fact that it will go a long ways to helping you become a better
pilot.

Remember, the fastest way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start
with a large one.

oups.com...

Old April 20th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Assuming you already have 500 hours to fly VFR, or 1200 to fly IFR air taxi
(these requirements were in effect when I flew charter- things may have
changed), you might want to consider a part time position (if you can get
it) flying 135 on someone else's certificate.

The maintenance requirements for a 135 airplane are far more strict than
they are for Part 91 operators. My Seneca was owned by an Air Taxi before
I bought it. It seems that there was a maintenance entry in the books on a
weekly basis for service bulletins and 100 hr in$pections. (I even found a
S.B. for rubber plugs in the corners of the glove box!)

If you decide to go 135, be prepared for a lot of paperwork. Submitting
applications, "Ops Specs" and the like to the FAA for review is no fun.

As another poster here said, you'll make a small fortune, after you start
with a large one

Old April 21st 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Assuming you already have 500 hours to fly VFR, or 1200 to fly IFR air taxi

Don't most 135 operators want 2000 TT and 500 multi (as a general
rule)?

-Robert

Old April 21st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Oops. Sorry Robert. I forgot that I mentioned that OP should try to get a
job with another 135.

Some years ago, a few Air Taxis near me were having trouble filling their
pilot seats, and would hire with no multi (They were using Piper Cherry
Sixes.) It's been awhile for me so I don't know what today's requirements
are.
"tom418" wrote in message
Perhaps, but the OP indicated that he wanted to go into business for
himself. In this case he would be governed by 14 CFR 135.244
oups.com...

Old April 21st 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

but I don't know if I'll go bankrupt.

Depends on how much money you start with. The more money, the longer it
will take you to go bankrupt.

-Robert

Old April 22nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks guys. It looks like people who want to get into aviation
shouldn't go in for the money. I love flying airplanes, but I was
hoping I could make it - less financially cumbersome to do so (i.e. by
recouping some of the expenses somehow). But, it sounds like my
options for accomplishing this are limited. Well, if you guys have any
other suggestions feel free to let me know! :-)