R.S.Hoover's Back Operation

Old November 14th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_2_]

Default R.S.Hoover's Back Operation

wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm doing good. They DID do the procedure. The pain was an artifact
OF the procedure. I should of been FORCED to take the painkillers
about 1500 instead of being allowed to sleep. But the instructions
fell into an information gap somewhere between the physician and me.

I'll probably end up addicted to morphine but I'm willing, so long as
it keeps the pain at bay. Which it does, if they give me enough of
it.

Right now I'm feeling no pain; shoulld be able to bathe by myself.
Mixed feelings about that :-)

Lab results are VERY GOOD. Going down this morning for another check
but if the present trend continues, I'm on the road to recovery, at
least from that portion of the PAIN. If we can keep the pain
corralled we're good to go for a more aggressive chemotherapy regime;
go after the tumor where it lives. The more of it we can eat up with
the chemo, the better my chances of being around for Christmas. And
beyond.

Vetebroplasty. Good medicine. Cats gave me head-dives this morning
as I WALKED amongst them. No canes. And NO PAIN.

Still got a few probllems to work out, such as no strength, but the
lab reports say the demon is back in its cave. So take a bow, guys.
A lot of this has been due to your support, most of which has not been
publicly posted. Hell of a note, Badwater Bill and all, happening at
the same time. I'd rather have the pain if it would bring him back.

-R.S.Hoover

Happy to hear that you're doing better. From a purely personal & selfish
standpoint, I'd hate to lose your great info & writing style. :-)

A word of advice on interaction with the medical community, at the risk
of offending med pros:

Always, Always take someone with you who has good hearing, a reasonable
level of intelligence, and your best interest at heart when you speak
with health care pros, and if possible, have someone in the room with
you 24/7 in the hospital. My wife & I have had more than our share of
interaction with the medical system over the last few years, through our
own needs and those of family members.

You need a second set of ears because you aren't likely to hear
everything & also might misinterpret something that another's
perspective can help you understand.

You need someone with you in hospital because health care staff are all
grossly overworked (profit motive & next quarter balance sheet view of
the hospital corp, even if the hospital has a religious name in front,
or overwhelming bureaucracy in state/fed hospitals) and even if they
want to give good care, they make MANY mistakes if actions aren't
monitored by someone who cares. (Hospitals, through mistakes/malpractice
kill something like 6 or 7 times more people each year than guns in the
USA.)

Your best self-help in getting healthy is someone to 'watch your back'
while in the medical system.

Charlie
Old November 14th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart Fields

"Charlie" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
[...]

I'll second, third and fourth Charlies advise. Right after open heart
surgery, I found myself with what looked and felt like three garden hoses
going down my throat and had both hands and feet restrained. I was not
getting enough oxygen and thought that I was going to die trying to breathe.
I tried but couldn't communicate with the nurse so this sucking real hard
trying to get air lasted for three hours. As soon as they pulled out their
garden hoses, it was like someone turned on the oxygen. I told the staff
that there needed to be someway to communicate. Had my wife been in there,
probably not possible, I think she would have got the message and been able
to get me some help. Also while riding a wheel chair down the hall with a
file folder, assumed to be mine on my lap, I got curious and opened it to
find someone elses name. I didnt' get to see if I was scheduled to give
birth, have a leg removed, or be checked for insanity. I've heard of nurses
painting words on limbs saying "Not this one".

Old November 14th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
news:HOydnRpjEeAuLYbUnZ2dnUVZ_rydnZ2d@cablespeedmi .com...

Flash wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

God Bless you, Bob. Never give up the ship.

Don't be bashful about taking the medication. "Morphine is your best
firend", my doc used to say, applicable to times when you are hurting.
The releif promotes the healing.

Or as we used to say, "Better living through chemistry". . . . wait,
that was from a commercial, wasn't it.

Flash

I recall the relief I got from morphine when I had a kidney stone... sure
was nice...

John

Did that too this summer, John. Quote (echo): "sure was nice".

Flash

Old November 14th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

I recall the relief I got from morphine when I had a kidney stone... sure
was nice...

John

Did that too this summer, John. Quote (echo): "sure was nice".

Flash

Do yourself a favor, and go see a urologist, and do a 24 hour urine catch
test.

I had about 15 stones, ended up having to get one cut out, and did the test.

I have not had ONE SINGLE STONE, since then, and all I did different is take
one small diuretic pill.

Did I mention that it is nice not to NEED morphine? g

Morphine has been my friend in the hospital before, though.

Yep, there isn't much anything better, when you need it.

My kids still tell stories of how I was saying, "morphine is my friend" with
a stupid grin, lying in the hospital bed. g
--
Jim in NC

Old November 14th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Riley[_1_]

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2ZmMzYmM5ZjA=
Old November 14th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

My kids still tell stories of how I was saying, "morphine is my friend"
with
a stupid grin, lying in the hospital bed. g
--
Jim in NC

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2ZmMzYmM5ZjA=

Excellent, Richard. He got a lot of things really right, and was funny,
too!

Believe it or not, I have experienced pain so intense, that I would have
begged for a kidney stone, or killed myself if I had been able to get to a
gun.

I had a staple blow off of a gall bladder removal, and it filled my gut with
one liter of bile, before they got around to figuring out what to do, and
doing it.

I went from being OK, to in pain magnitudes worse than kidney stones, in
about 15 minutes. At the hospital, they gave me all the morphine they could
without stopping breathing, and had to get the dilaudid. I don't remember
anything after that, but my family says I was still screaming in pain.

Six and a half days later, I finally got to go home, a much more humble
person, about how bad it could actually get. Having your body trying to
digest itself from the inside out is one thing I recommend avoiding, if you
can.

So yes, pain killers are a blessing, when they are needed. I also ascribe
to the theory that you do not get high, or addicted, when they are used for
the control of real pains.

Also, I am grateful that the doctors figured out how to put the lid on my
kidney stones, and that they would not be an issue for being able to hold a
medical.
--
Jim in NC