Avgas Where is the ceiling?

Old April 24th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Avgas Where is the ceiling?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:23:11 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:59:44 GMT, ktbr wrote:

IS User wrote:
That's _make_, not pump and refine.

Eventually you will see more of this type of processing waste
into energy. But you must realize that it would take a massive

But this is a very limited resource.

contruction effort to build enough of these plants to make even
a small dent in the total oil needs of the United States.

By the time you have enough to make a small dent the raw materials
will become scarce and expensive.

Which raw materials are you referring to?

The wast products currently used. Even using soybeans (please do we
raise them) it's going to require some breakthroughs to make a lot of
this.

Use many soybeans and the price will really go up.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old April 24th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Roger" wrote)
BTW There was a good program on tonight that started out showing some old
photos of glaciers and then faded to the present view from the same
location. Now that was eye opening!

I think that's happened three or four times in the past 15,000 years. On the
flip side, some early Middle Ages tapestries depict 'the year there was no
summer' in meticulous detail. That particular Mini Ice Age destroyed the
once thriving English wine making industry - for example.

My question is always:
If not for Global Warming (capitalized because it's now a religion)
....wouldn't we be locked in one of Earth's many Ice Ages, still?

I believe 95% of GW is the Sun, and the Earth's tilt/wobble, and the ocean's
salinity/density/fresh water cycles, and the planet's solid iron core
flipping polarity, etc, etc, etc. But yes, I do think we need to work on our
5%.

Montblack
Setting rivers on fire ain't nothing...

Old April 24th 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What's your "fair share"? Was: Avgas Where is the ceiling?

On 2006-04-24, Jay Honeck wrote:
Now, do I really think that this guy EARNED that much money? Nope --
not by a long shot.

He charged what the market would bear for his services -- that's how the
free market worked (sure, the health system has plenty of distortions,
but doctor's pay is not one of them: reduce doctors pay to what you
think they are 'earning', and you'd be hard pressed to fill the posts
because the doctors are smart enough to find somewhere else where they'd
get paid more).

Also, I'm not sure whether you miss it or not, but capitalism does need
some moderation otherwise it ends up just as bad as the old Soviet
system (for one, it tends towards monopoly which is BAD for free
markets. Yes, unmoderated capitalism can end up destroying the free
market).

Old April 24th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Roger wrote:

Although that is the politically correct term there is no such thing
as Native Americans. Those called that merely got here before we did
although that does nothing to the fact that we took the land away from
them by armed force.

But who is this "we"? I'm part Sioux. Does this mean I took land away
from myself?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 24th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-04-24, Roger wrote:
What I find amazing is how they produce so little Nitrogen oxides with
such a high compression ratio.

The exhaust system (3 way catalytic converter) probably gets rid of it.

Old April 24th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-04-24, Roger wrote:
both with the latter being the most likely. I think though that the
bio fuels will probably outdo the Hydrogen overall in the big
picture.. It's easier to increase trucking incrementally than it is to
increase the power grid.

I think a lot of the hydrogen advocates are missing the massive change
to infrastructure needed - we would need:

- new cars
- new filling stations
- new transport
- new ways of storage (I'm sure keeping hydrogen as a cryogenic liquid
is just not gonna work for everyday cars and trucks)

For biodiesels (some forms of algae can be used to make 10,000 US
gallons of biofuel per acre, and it can be done in a more closed system
to keep evaporation of water losses to a minimum) you don't need to
change the infrastructure. Biodiesel will work in existing diesel trucks
and cars, and the same filling stations can be used, and the same
tankers can be used as is for conventional dino-diesel.

Old April 24th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:22:10 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

I would say, "most voters", not the average voter does not have either
the information or the ability to use it to the point of being able to
make an intelligent choice.

I would add that most voters have neither the information nor the ability
make sense of it, and DON'T HAVE THE INTERST in doing so.

Hey, don't bother me, the ballgame is on...

I'm sorry Matt. I was watching TV while you were typing. What were we
talking about?

Ummmm...

sigh

BTW There was a good program on tonight that started out showing some
old photos of glaciers and then faded to the present view from the
same location. Now that was eye opening!

I saw something like that a year or so ago. They showed pictures of glaciers
(Yellowstone mainly) taken in the late 1880's, then compared it to pictures
taken today. The glaciers were either greatly receeded or completely
vanished.

Thing is, someone else showed pictures taken from 1905-1915 and the pictures
then looked pretty much like today.

Old April 24th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:53:00 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
In case you haven't noticed, America doesn't conquer people. We come
in, save your ass, and go home.

If only that were true during all of our history, rather than the two
World
Wars. Because Native Americans may tend to disagree with both your
statements:

Although that is the politically correct term there is no such thing
as Native Americans. Those called that merely got here before we did
although that does nothing to the fact that we took the land away from
them by armed force.

Yes...and until the late 1800's the tribes slaughtered each other to the
extent that after 5000 years on this continent, the aborigine population wa
barely 300,000. One sure thing in that bygone era, like death and taxes (and
now shipping and handling) today, was tribal warfare. Last tribal warfare I
heard of, aince the 1800's, was the Crips. and the Bluds, the Dodgers and
Giants, and the Democraps and the Repugnants.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 24th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger wrote:

Although that is the politically correct term there is no such thing
as Native Americans. Those called that merely got here before we did
although that does nothing to the fact that we took the land away from
them by armed force.

But who is this "we"? I'm part Sioux. Does this mean I took land away
from myself?

Which part of the land did you take away from yourself?

Hmmm...MPD?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 24th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Roger" wrote in message

By the time you have enough to make a small dent the raw materials
will become scarce and expensive.

Which raw materials are you referring to?

The wast products currently used. Even using soybeans (please do we
raise them) it's going to require some breakthroughs to make a lot of
this.

Use many soybeans and the price will really go up.

Ah...the old Supply & Demand!!

Avgas STC Mike Granby Owning 12 September 6th 05 07:18 PM
Avgas price and the light plane ownership M Owning 56 July 10th 05 04:55 AM
Avgas Prices aluckyguess Piloting 14 May 6th 05 07:23 AM
service ceiling of F-22 zxcv Military Aviation 7 March 14th 04 10:31 PM
Class C Ceiling Mzsoar Soaring 1 August 18th 03 08:50 PM