ND Pilot Found

Old October 4th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Dunlevy[_1_]

Default ND Pilot Found

The 60-year-old pilot who left Bismarck ND bound for Fergus Falls MN was
found in a slough. I spent four days co-piloting a Gippsland Airvan looking
for him. The English born pilot remarked that our search area was roughly
the size of England. We had 15 planes looking for him for about two weeks. I
thought the missing pilot might be in a slough. The water in the prairie
potholes was so green we couldn't see anything beneath the surface, and
nobody spotted any oil slicks in the slimy water.
I went to the air museum in Fargo when I had some down time during the
search. A crop duster at a tiny (two cows and one horse) North Dakota town
had a poster for Flyboys, attesting to the marketing effort for the film. At
first I wasn't sure if the movie poster was for a new movie, or an old movie
appropriate for the décor of the crop duster's office. The crop duster has
several biplane crop dusters with huge radial engines in various states of
repair. He used a turboprop monoplane for work. A FBO at a larger airport
was lovingly restoring three P-51 Mustangs. He gave us the keys to his car
without hesitation to go to town for dinner.
I bet I am the only North Dakota born pilot in this newsgroup. The bet is
for a beer and a meal, in Grand Forks or Fargo. Being pilot trained at UND
doesn't win the bet, unless you played hockey for UND too. KD
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/719089.html

Old October 4th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The 60-year-old pilot who left Bismarck ND bound for Fergus Falls MN was
found in a slough.

Is he ok?

The water in the prairie potholes was so green
we couldn't see anything beneath the surface, and
nobody spotted any oil slicks in the slimy water.

or not?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 4th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jose wrote:
The 60-year-old pilot who left Bismarck ND bound for Fergus Falls MN
was found in a slough.

Is he ok?

Didn't read the article I take it.

Old October 4th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Didn't read the article I take it.

No, didn't see it. Mistook the link at the end for a sig.

Jose
Old October 4th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

The 60-year-old pilot who left Bismarck ND bound for Fergus Falls MN was
found in a slough.

Is he ok?

He's dead. His body was found.

Old October 4th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I can think of a lot better places I'd travel to for a beer and a meal..

Sorry to hear about the pilot.. there is nothing but flat land to run into.

I did my 4 years at El Forko Grande.. and it was not at UND.. although I did
rent their C-172RGs (Cutlass)

BT

. ..

Old October 4th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Kevin Dunlevy" wrote)
I bet I am the only North Dakota born pilot in this newsgroup. The bet is
for a beer and a meal, in Grand Forks or Fargo. Being pilot trained at UND
doesn't win the bet, unless you played hockey for UND too.

Mont - b. St Paul, MN
Black - b. Dickinson, ND plus she was in the Minot Curling Club while in
school ...in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling

Montblack

Old October 4th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

[...]

If my memory is correct Isn't there a place in ND that makes parts for the
P51 and has most of the original tooling?

Old October 4th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Newps wrote:

Jose wrote:

The 60-year-old pilot who left Bismarck ND bound for Fergus Falls MN
was found in a slough.

Is he ok?

Didn't read the article I take it.

Or even read the post.

Matt
Old October 5th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Or even read the post.

Oh, I read the post, and looked up "slough" to ensure it meant what I
thought it meant. Nothing said he died (though one could infer a high
likelyhood from the circumstances).

Jose