Using 2 monitors with FS9

Old December 17th 04, 01:04 PM
Joe C

Default Using 2 monitors with FS9

I have a new monitor coming for my system and before I sell the old
one I would like to hook up both to my PC and run FS9. The video card,
ATI Radon 9800, supports 2 monitors. Any suggestions on how to do this
since I never used two before. I assume I just drag and drop to the
other monitor? What do most people put on the second monitor? I assume
the throtle panel, the radio stack, etc? How do you get the scenery to
span two monitors? Any info would be more that what I know now.
Thanks.

JC
Old December 17th 04, 01:42 PM
Don Parker

Joe C wrote:
I have a new monitor coming for my system and before I sell the old
one I would like to hook up both to my PC and run FS9. The video card,
ATI Radon 9800, supports 2 monitors. Any suggestions on how to do this
since I never used two before. I assume I just drag and drop to the
other monitor? What do most people put on the second monitor? I assume
the throtle panel, the radio stack, etc? How do you get the scenery to
span two monitors? Any info would be more that what I know now.
Thanks.

Unless your new monitor is digital, you'll still need a digital/analog
converter for the cards digital output (1 digital, 1 analog).
Go to display properties, enable the second monitor at what ever parameters
you want, then in windows mode (not full screen, although there is a little
dance you can do to move things there as well) undock the windowed piece you
want to move, drag & drop. I usually plant the GPS there, then it depends
on the airplane is use whether I display the radio stack, throttles, etc..
there as well. Put an extra outside view and you're asking for a big fps
hit.......
It's also very handy for other uses, like two web sites open for comparison
shopping, etc...... Get used to it and you won't get rid of the old
monitor!!
Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

Old December 17th 04, 02:06 PM
Joe C

Thanks Don for your quick response. The new 22" monitor is an IBM
ThinkVision C220P which I thought was digital but I just checked and
see that it is DVI-A so I guess this all goes out the window. Rats!

It is replacing my old IIlamya (sp?) 19".

JC

Old December 17th 04, 02:15 PM
Sean Trost

Joe DVI-a = Digital video interface A
It be digital. you will need the adapter.
all the best
Spacedman

Old December 17th 04, 02:16 PM
AL Mills

You can buy video connector adapters for
anything. Like the man said, a second monitor is
a great repository for gps, radios, FSNav,
TeamSpeak, etc.

I'd like to know what "dance" I could do to get
them there in full screen mode.

AL
Old December 17th 04, 09:06 PM
Don Parker

AL Mills wrote:
I'd like to know what "dance" I could do to get
them there in full screen mode.

Sounds wierd, but it's worked for me every since I saw it posted many months
back. I've heard others say it didn't for them so just have to try it.

When in full screen, bring up something like the GPS. Don't have to undock,
just act like you're dragging it over to the second monitor and it'll run
off the main monitor, but not show on the second. I usually stop about the
time it's almost off the main. Then put the mouse over on the second
monitor and left click. The main monitor now switches to desktop with FS
minimized in the control bar. Click the icon for the minimized FS and it'll
come back up in full screen mode and the GPS will appear on the second
monitor, off to one side on mine (almost the same position that was left
showing on the main), and has to be centered, resized if you want, etc..
You're off and running without the %$#^&@# lockups I'd get many times when
doing this in windowed mode, and ALT SHIFT to go back to full screen........
But, as I said, some have said it didn't work for them...........

System here 3G-P4, 1G ram, XP home, ATI 128M 9800 Pro.......

Old December 17th 04, 09:36 PM
Don Parker

Joe C wrote:
Thanks Don for your quick response. The new 22" monitor is an IBM
ThinkVision C220P which I thought was digital but I just checked and
see that it is DVI-A so I guess this all goes out the window. Rats!

A digital/ana converter is dirt cheap, just a little guy that goes in
between the plug & socket. I only paid $9 extra to Dell when I got my XPS
system almost two years ago, so I could use my Sony 19" and old Mag 15" (put
it on the digital out w/adapter) CRT's.... Your new IBM 22" and a 19"
secondary would be dy-no-mite!! Do it!! You won't look back...............

Old December 17th 04, 10:45 PM
Quilljar

How can you people manage with only TWO monitors?

Mah Deah Ah couldn't flah with less than three...

Quilljar

Old December 17th 04, 10:49 PM
Quilljar

Quilljar wrote:

See what I mean?

Quilljar Matrox
http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

Old December 18th 04, 02:37 AM
Don Parker

Quilljar wrote:
See what I mean?

Yep- a great slide show!!
I'll wear out what I have now, and by then maybe someone will have a 15" X
45" concave LCD...
But then how would you display the panel correctly? Hmmmmmmmmmm