Friday 072707 in Oshkosh Pt 1 - the Raptor [01/30] - "F22 lifting off 18 after very short takeoff roll.jpg" yEnc (0/1)

Old August 2nd 07, 09:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
J.F.

Default * * * - TO THE GROUP - * * * Okay my reply is a bit long winded but please read it - Frecce Tricolori.jpg (0/1) - "Frecce Tricolori.jpg" (0/1) 258.1 kBytes yEnc

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShowLetter.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	15441
Old August 3rd 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
troy24

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:02:06 GMT, "J.F."

Love the Red Bull Mig
Old August 3rd 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:50:14 -0500, Just Plane Noise
wrote:

Dave, you know I agree with you, but I have to quibble about props. My
wife calls any propeller-driven plane a "Buddy Holly plane", and since
we usually travel out of Appleton, we've been on a few. I have to
patiently explain to her that some of the prop-driven craft are
considerably newer and more technologically sophisticated than some of
the hand-me-down jets we've been on. But that leads to a story:

We were scheduled to fly out of Oshkosh on Northwest's feeder, when
(as often happened) Northwest simply cancelled the flight and trucked
us up to Appleton. Our connection to the Pacific Northwest also
changed. Upon boarding the plane, I asked the young, very blond
flight attendant about flight times since we would now be going
through DTW instead of MSP. She found a flight schedule, and I
quickly realized she did not grasp the concept of time zones at all.
Then she pulled back the cockpit curtain (this was obviously pre-9/11)
to talk to the pilot. What do you know? It looked like Buffy's
18-year-old boyfriend Biff would be flying our plane today! I pointed
to them, pointed to the propeller, and said to my wife "we're gonna
die!"

Too funny.

I've flown on many prop aircraft and lots of jets too, having spent 20
years in the Navy. However, I have never crashed in a jet; I've
crashed *twice* in prop aircraft - a C47 at Wright Patterson, and a
C121 in Japan.

My worse flight, however, was from Anchorage, AK to Petropovlosk,
Kamchatka, Russia in a TU-214. The runway at Anchorage is smooth,
until you fly in a TU-214 and you find out it feels like a dirt road
full of pot holes. Funny but the Delta 757 I flew in on wasn't bumpy.

Dave

Old August 3rd 07, 03:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Excellent shot!!! Good contrast with the red against the cool tones in the
background...
When and where was this taken? I need to talk the police into letting me
fly some air to airs with civilian aircraft...

Andrew

"J.F." wrote in message
. net...

Old August 3rd 07, 11:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Elmo von Thud

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:58:18 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

[sneep]

In my opinion given how angry people get about yEnc, it should for moment be
considered a taboo subject for a few weeks in the NG. As in no discussion
of why it is good or bad. No remarks about the whining (and please don't
try to argue that the pro yEnc crowd doesn't whine).

If we all agreed about everything, there would be no need for
democracy.

Attempting to impose your will on others is a form of dictatorship.

The Net is the greatest form/forum of democracy that we have on this
planet.

You are perfectly free to disagree with what I wrote above... it is
your right to do so.

[sneep]

Elmo von Thud
Old August 7th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
G.Kuhn

My second post on this subject.....
Flame suit on :-)
WHAT is so flippen difficult in reading/opening yenc files?
Yes, I don't particularly like them, but it is SO easy to download and save
them in OE, and then decoding with 3rd party software.
And this from about six years back already, when I started net surfing.
Heck, anything that saves bandwidth in this retard country of mine, is a
bonus.
Maybe, just maybe, slow down on the ranting and raving, and discreetly ask
for help, draws less attention to one's shortcomings, I learnt that the
embarrassing way :-)

Buffy

Old August 7th 07, 11:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Don Pyeatt

"G.Kuhn" wrote in message
My second post on this subject.....
Flame suit on :-)
WHAT is so flippen difficult in reading/opening yenc files?
Yes, I don't particularly like them, but it is SO easy to download and
save them in OE, and then decoding with 3rd party software.
And this from about six years back already, when I started net surfing.
Heck, anything that saves bandwidth in this retard country of mine, is a
bonus.
Maybe, just maybe, slow down on the ranting and raving, and discreetly ask
for help, draws less attention to one's shortcomings, I learnt that the
embarrassing way :-)

Buffy

Hi, Buffy !

Perhaps I can explain the problem to you since you don't seem to be of the
same brash ilk as the bombastic group of kids who charged into this group
and exiled our most prolific and congenial long-term posters.

There is nothing wrong with yEnc. Mr. Noise explained it very well - if a
person is a user of many newsgroups and downloads media files, e-books and
other large files then something like yEnc is nearly mandatory. On the
other hand, this is a still picture group where the file sizes rarely exceed
300KB. A file that size will download with yEnc in about 10 seconds on a
DSL connection, around 12 seconds without yEnc. Two seconds may be an
eternity for an impetuous youngster but it is totally insignificant in this
newsgroup. Step up to cable service and differences in D/L time become
almost immeasurable.

With that said, the real reason(s) for the regular members here wanting to
ban yEnc is that some are TOO OLD to understand how to install ANY kind of
software on their computers. Some are (or were, before they bailed) barely
able to use email and read this newsgroup. So, should we just tell them to
fuddle off or upgrade? I doubt if the invaders would tell their own
grandparents to F-off but for some reason they don't hesitate to tell those
here to do the same.

This is a global group of people who share the same love for aviation
photos. The older members have provided a wealth of historical information
regarding vintage aircraft, their experiences in various wars, and have been
most generous by providing priceless information of a historical nature.
Some of these same people are embarrassed to reveal a lack of skill using a
computer and will simply leave to avoid the insolence of some snot-nosed kid
who tells them to get out of the dark ages and upgrade to *their*
standards.

This is why a large amount of time was invested here to hammer out a usage
guideline that would be agreeable to all regardless of their computer
skills.

Is this too difficult to understand?

gdp

Old August 8th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Boomerang

Don...as a geezer fully capable in yEnc and a dozen other equally
unpronounceable software applications, I think this message of yours is an
absolute masterpiece of compassion, consideration and common sense. Nicely
done!!

Old August 8th 07, 01:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:18:33 -0400, "Boomerang"
wrote:

Don...as a geezer fully capable in yEnc and a dozen other equally
unpronounceable software applications, I think this message of yours is an
absolute masterpiece of compassion, consideration and common sense. Nicely
done!!

Mmmm. Well, I am a 70 yo geezer who subscribes to a very good news
reader and I can't tell the difference between yenc and jpeg. I don't
even look at the format. My only complaint is the incessant whining
about yenc. No one is making anyone switch to yenc. If you can not
open it, so be it. Continue to open those pics you can see. As far
as wasted bandwidth, well, threads like this and all the previous
****ing contests don't really help, do they?

Dave